Smoke may be rising: High Probability of Conference Call Early Morning | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Smoke may be rising: High Probability of Conference Call Early Morning

UNC, UVa and WF.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

@DanWetzel: ACC sources say Louisville is clear leading expansion candidate but some still favor standing pat

Seems like déjà vu with the big east and the basketball only schools

That makes sense because UL and partial of ND is worth a lot more than just Maryland IMO ...

ACC network would be pretty awesome and icing on the cake.

UNC, UVa and WF.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Wake Friggin Forest? They should be put up for adoption: free to a good home

A potential huge mistake not taking UConn...If they get a B1G invite we are so flucked...bye bye to much of the NYC market and influence for Cuse. GoodBye to MSG sponsoring an ACC BB tourney. Why is the ACC so stupid? Cuse and BC are on a friggin island right now.

If the ACC gets its own network and ND they don't need Uconn or Rutgers or anyone else up North.

A potential huge mistake not taking UConn...If they get a B1G invite we are so flucked...bye bye to much of the NYC market and influence for Cuse. GoodBye to MSG sponsoring an ACC BB tourney. Why is the ACC so stupid? Cuse and BC are on a friggin island right now.

I have absolutely no faith that the Big Ten is going to invite UConn.

Here's the thing... If you believe, as I'd assume almost everyone does, that the B1G will go from 14 to 16 with two schools at once, then they'd have to fill up with UConn and someone else to take UConn. That won't happen, unless that other school is ND. Everyone is keeping that spot open for the Irish. So if the B1G went to 16 with UConn and a non-ND 16th, that'd be good for the ACC as it would leave ND eventually with no choice other than the ACC or trying to be in some eastern pod of the PAC-12, which is very unlikely IMO.

If Louisville gets invited I hope they beat the ever-loving snot out of Florida State and Clemson over and over and over again.

Be careful what you wish for, football schools.

I always want VT to lose every game except one. For one day each year I root for VT to beat the hell out of UVA after the Cavs and Gov. Warner screwed SU over in 2003.

Didn't they just lose to SU and UConn?

They no doubt have positives, but they are in SEC country: isolated from the other schools, not along the coast, small market which they share with UK and rated 160 in US News.

They just confuse the ACC brand.

Finally, and most important, I doubt they move the TV payout or the desire of FSU to join the SEC if they get an invite.
This is about where you can realistically project their football team to be relative to Ucan't, not what the scores in the last few weeks were. Strength/stability of the program is key. The ACC needs to have teams that will at least dent the top 20 in future years. In a single year you can't depend on FSU, Clemson, or VPI to be there. L'ville (& Pitt & SU) increase those odds.

If this happens, I would assume the primary crossover rivals for the ACC for football would remain the same, with Louisville slipping in for Maryland as Pitt's rival. We would remain with Boston College.

I don't know what the ACC is going to do for basketball scheduling. The approach they were going to use doesn't work with an odd number of teams. I suspect that the ACC will end up using a scheme very similar to what the Big East has done for years, where the teams favored to do well play tougher schedules, which maximizes the number of prospective attractive matchups for TV, which should maximize TV revenue.

That would be bad news for lesser programs like Wake Forest and Clemson, who will not play against schools like UNC and Duke nearly as much. On the positive side, they will have easier schedules than the top programs and will have an easier road to qualifying for the NCAA tournament.

For Syracuse, this kind of a scheme would be great; instead of having to play an awful BC program twice a year, we will see the best ACC programs regularly from day one. I hope it happens.

Regarding UConn, they are getting into the ACC. I think the thing holding them back is the lack of another attractive school to join with them. If I had my way, the ACC would take the Huskies with Navy. Navy would only play football, so in effect, the ACC would be the first conference to get to 16 members. That would address the mistake the ACC made inviting BC to the conference and plug the gap in the DC area left by the departure of Maryland.

I wonder if the reason the ACC stopped at 14 this time was because there really is a chance ND will join for all sports in the near term. If that is the case, they wouldn't bring in Navy as a football only...they would wait until ND joined for all sports and invite the 16th school only then.

That would explain all the talk about an all sports channel and ND. Maybe the money and timing will finally be right for ND to become a full time member of a conference.

Wait a sec. Did I really suggest ND might be a shining knight that would rescue UConn from the Island of Unloved Toys and beat off the invading armies of the B1G, SEC and Big 12 with a single swipe of a mighty shillelagh?

Forget it. Temporary insanity. But I do like the word shillelagh.

Re: the NYC stuf...meh, whatever.

What I care about, and what everyone should care about, is the ACC hanging together and not having any more defections. If no one leaves for the B1G, SEC or Big 12, then why does it matter if NYC is more of a B1G market than ACC? Everyone knows NY is really a pro market, that dabbles in college when it has nothing better to do for a week in March. The ACC should not be making decisions because of where they hold their hoops tourney.

You really think we lose our presence in NYC because UConn is not in the ACC?

I think the issue isn't so much nyc but being alone in the northeast. Yes, Pitt and BC are there but one more may be needed to have this work for SU but it is possible I'm thinking too much about this and have to step back and look at the ACC and what direction this should/could go. The key to me as I posted in another thread is keeping NC and VA which if they are the no votes for Louisville it could lead to more conversations between those 2 schools and the Big 10.

Been told TV renegotiation is under way for the Notre Dame games...now will be opened also for Louisville...additonally, ESPN/NBC/ABC/Raycom talking about a ACC network (reported different thread) with Notre Dame as significant part---(cannot say anymore at this time)...
Please stop with the ESPN/NBC in talks for an ACC Network talk is just patently misleading. ESPN/NBC WILL NEVER work together. ESPN hates Comcast more than any other company that is why they have teamed up with FOX/News Corp on the Pac-12 and Big XII TV rights against NBC Sports Network/Comcast. Comcast can threat ESPN's monthly rates on its platform that is why ESPN dislikes Comcast so much. The ND football rights are with NBC till 2015 the only chance an ACC Network can take off is if ND signs with ESPN and I doubt after this undefeated year in ND football that NBC won't overpay ND to keep one of its few valuable properties. The ACC can talk about a network all they want, but without having ND's 3rd tier rights and ESPN's parent company Disney pushing a potential ACC network on cable companies with there other networks the ACC network will never take off. Thus unless ND leaves NBC for ESPN good night to an ACC network and your forgetting the potential SEC network and I doubt ESPN will leverage BOTH networks they will probably choose to help 1 more than the other.

What I care about, and what everyone should care about, is the ACC hanging together and not having any more defections. If no one leaves for the B1G, SEC or Big 12, then why does it matter if NYC is more of a B1G market than ACC? Everyone knows NY is really a pro market, that dabbles in college when it has nothing better to do for a week in March. The ACC should not be making decisions because of where they hold their hoops tourney.

I think the "mistake" is that UConn, SU, Pitt, BC, and tangentially, ND, would give the ACC a decidedly more north presence in and around the most densely populated area of the east coast. That is the value here. The mistake is also predicating this decision on who's football program is currently better between UConn and L'Ville.

It just feels too short sighted to me...kind of like not taking Rutgers.

If ND doesn't truly commit to the ACC I see the Big 10 staying at 14 unless they can nab NC and Virginia.

If this happens, I would assume the primary crossover rivals for the ACC for football would remain the same, with Louisville slipping in for Maryland as Pitt's rival. We would remain with Boston College.

I don't know what the ACC is going to do for basketball scheduling. The approach they were going to use doesn't work with an odd number of teams. I suspect that the ACC will end up using a scheme very similar to what the Big East has done for years, where the teams favored to do well play tougher schedules, which maximizes the number of prospective attractive matchups for TV, which should maximize TV revenue.

That would be bad news for lesser programs like Wake Forest and Clemson, who will not play against schools like UNC and Duke nearly as much. On the positive side, they will have easier schedules than the top programs and will have an easier road to qualifying for the NCAA tournament.

For Syracuse, this kind of a scheme would be great; instead of having to play an awful BC program twice a year, we will see the best ACC programs regularly from day one. I hope it happens.

Regarding UConn, they are getting into the ACC. I think the thing holding them back is the lack of another attractive school to join with them. If I had my way, the ACC would take the Huskies with Navy. Navy would only play football, so in effect, the ACC would be the first conference to get to 16 members. That would address the mistake the ACC made inviting BC to the conference and plug the gap in the DC area left by the departure of Maryland.

I wonder if the reason the ACC stopped at 14 this time was because there really is a chance ND will join for all sports in the near term. If that is the case, they wouldn't bring in Navy as a football only...they would wait until ND joined for all sports and invite the 16th school only then.

That would explain all the talk about an all sports channel and ND. Maybe the money and timing will finally be right for ND to become a full time member of a conference.

Wait a sec. Did I really suggest ND might be a shining knight that would rescue UConn from the Island of Unloved Toys and beat off the invading armies of the B1G, SEC and Big 12 with a single swipe of a mighty shillelagh?

Forget it. Temporary insanity. But I do like the word shillelagh.

If you have 15, why not three 5 team divisions, home and home in yours and then you alternate years home and home with the other two. That gets you 18 conference games. 12 team tourney.

If Louisville gets invited I hope they beat the ever-loving snot out of Florida State and Clemson over and over and over again.

Be careful what you wish for, football schools.

I hope SU "beats the ever-loving snot out of Florida State and Clemson over and over and over again."

You nailed it. Louisville was an obvious choice if the ACC had any hope of remaining a big boy. All of this talk about the NY market etc etc is nonsense. As I said in a different thread, the ACC needed to start focusing on playing better football. If we play better football, the tv money takes care of itself. The SEC isn't exactly swimming in great TV markets. It's just plays great football.

And the addition of Uconn has absolutely no bearing in our presence in NYC.

UConn to B1G. I'm reporting. Eventually.

Unfortunately for them, there isn't a reason to dilute the football side with another mouth to feed. And the B1G certainly isn't an option either unless they want to further dilute their league. Uconns best (and probably only) hope, is that the ACC continues to get poached and they would be added as filler. That's really what it has come down to for them, atleast in the relative short term.

I'd rather have Louisville over Maryland (except for the drive) in the ACC sports wise in every way but lax. Now, how does the ACC handle this press release because the Big 10 getting RU and Maryland was putting lipstick on a pig, can the ACC sell this? If they are good at their jobs it should be easy to do.

If there is a chance ND joins for all, you just wait. Give them the last pick (Navy?) and a little lee-way with the TV rights to make allowance for their "storied history and unique relationships" (just gagged as I wrote that)...

NYC is a basketball/pro town. As long as we play a few games per year at MSG/Barclays etc, we will keep our presence there. We don't market ourselves as "New Yorks College Team...with help from others". We have an insane alumni base and plenty of relocated hometown Cuse fans in the metro area and that is why we have such a strong NYC presence.

Currently the B1G has RU, who is on an island out here. If they add UCONN that gives them 3 northeastern teams with Penn St...the ACC also currently has 3- Cuse, Pitt, BC even if you don't count ND.

If adding L'Ville is a move to keep the ACC together as we see solidarity on the enforcement of the 50 million exit fee and some strong pro-ACC statements by certain teams then this is the slam dunk move over adding UCONN. If the B1G wants UCONN go for it, I would rather they lock themselves in with that move then try to poach certain ACC schools.

If you have 15, why not three 5 team divisions, home and home in yours and then you alternate years home and home with the other two. That gets you 18 conference games. 12 team tourney.
I like it.

Not having all the schools in the ACC tourney would be an issue but it means more tickets for Syracuse, so that works for me.

A 22 game conference schedule might be too much. Might need to play the teams in the other 2 divisions once each season, to take the conference schedule to 18 games instead.

How does this look for divisions? Would the ACC go for geography based divisions now that Maryland is gone? Probably not...they would probably end up with some randomly grouped set of schools instead.

North
Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Louisville
Notre Dame

Mid South
Virginia
North Carolina
North Carolina St
Duke
Wake Forest

South
Miami
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Clemson
Virginia Tech

I like it.

Not having all the schools in the ACC tourney would be an issue but it means more tickets for Syracuse, so that works for me.

A 22 game conference schedule might be too much. Might need to play the teams in the other 2 divisions once each season, to take the conference schedule to 18 games instead.

How does this look for divisions?

North
Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Louisville
Notre Dame

Mid South
Virginia
North Carolina
North Carolina St
Duke
Wake Forest

South
Miami
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Clemson
Virginia Tech

That would help VT as they would cry otherwise. How do you do a football playoff?

Please stop with the ESPN/NBC in talks for an ACC Network talk is just patently misleading. ESPN/NBC WILL NEVER work together. ESPN hates Comcast more than any other company that is why they have teamed up with FOX/News Corp on the Pac-12 and Big XII TV rights against NBC Sports Network/Comcast. Comcast can threat ESPN's monthly rates on its platform that is why ESPN dislikes Comcast so much. The ND football rights are with NBC till 2015 the only chance an ACC Network can take off is if ND signs with ESPN and I doubt after this undefeated year in ND football that NBC won't overpay ND to keep one of its few valuable properties. The ACC can talk about a network all they want, but without having ND's 3rd tier rights and ESPN's parent company Disney pushing a potential ACC network on cable companies with there other networks the ACC network will never take off. Thus unless ND leaves NBC for ESPN good night to an ACC network and your forgetting the potential SEC network and I doubt ESPN will leverage BOTH networks they will probably choose to help 1 more than the other.

You are probably correct that the bed mates may not consummate the deal but>>>
Except for fact that guess who carries ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNnews, ESPNU...cable networks such as Comcast carry ESPN which happens to pay Comcast/NBC----and perhaps, ACC does not want to wait 2-3 yrs to start the network...which also gets carried by...money and politics play interesting bedfellows...may be nothing but in order to compete financially with other conferences, ACC is renegotiating among other things third tier rights with ESPN during the renegotiating process that includes Notre Dame...