Smoke may be rising: High Probability of Conference Call Early Morning | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Smoke may be rising: High Probability of Conference Call Early Morning

Wake Friggin Forest? They should be put up for adoption: free to a good home

A potential huge mistake not taking UConn...If they get a B1G invite we are so flucked...bye bye to much of the NYC market and influence for Cuse. GoodBye to MSG sponsoring an ACC BB tourney. Why is the ACC so stupid? Cuse and BC are on a friggin island right now.
That is like saying that Miami and FSU are on an island. UConn does not move the meter.

I like it.

Not having all the schools in the ACC tourney would be an issue but it means more tickets for Syracuse, so that works for me.

A 22 game conference schedule might be too much. Might need to play the teams in the other 2 divisions once each season, to take the conference schedule to 18 games instead.

How does this look for divisions? Would the ACC go for geography based divisions now that Maryland is gone? Probably not...they would probably end up with some randomly grouped set of schools instead.

North
Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Louisville
Notre Dame

Mid South
Virginia
North Carolina
North Carolina St
Duke
Wake Forest

South
Miami
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Clemson
Virginia Tech

What I said = 18. 8 games in your division, then 5 on the road against Division B, five at home against Division C.

That is like saying that Miami and FSU are on an island. UConn does not move the meter.

I think the Cuse/UConn BB games are pretty special. The league if you added UConn is getting enough critical mass to get the ACC to do two years at MSG, two years at Greensboro for the tourney. I don't believe for a minute that the folks at MSG would be so stupid to sign a contract with the Big East without a clause to get out of the contract if the league becomes less attractive (which it has with Louisville and in my scenario--UConn). The only decent BB schools the BE has signed is Memphis and Temple. You don't think MSG wouldn't want to see Cuse, Ville, UConn, Notre Dame, UNC and Duke two out of four years?

Didn't they just lose to SU and UConn?

They no doubt have positives, but they are in SEC country: isolated from the other schools, not along the coast, small market which they share with UK and rated 160 in US News.

They just confuse the ACC brand.

Finally, and most important, I doubt they move the TV payout or the desire of FSU to join the SEC if they get an invite.

Nope. FSU will presumably leave if the SEC comes calling. The only thing that may estop it is if ESPN were to ante up some more coin...or ND joining as a full member, which, of course, in and of itself would increase the payout.

I'd rather have Louisville over Maryland (except for the drive) in the ACC sports wise in every way but lax. Now, how does the ACC handle this press release because the Big 10 getting RU and Maryland was putting lipstick on a pig, can the ACC sell this? If they are good at their jobs it should be easy to do.

Hopefully they trash Maryland and point out how we are lucky to have Louisville as an upgrade over Maryland.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

That would help VT as they would cry otherwise. How do you do a football playoff?

15 teams is just for hoops.

There are only 14 football teams. 2 divisions of 7 each.

Hopefully they trash Maryland and point out how we are lucky to have Louisville as an upgrade over Maryland.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Mike and Mike did that this morning. Basically called Ville an uprade in everything over Maryland...which they pretty much are.

Mike and Mike did that this morning. Basically called Ville an uprade in everything over Maryland...which they pretty much are.

Yeah but Golic said the Big 10 would improve (or upgrade) Maryland's basketball and football programs. Not sure how.

Yeah but Golic said the Big 10 would improve (or upgrade) Maryland's basketball and football programs. Not sure how.
Money, I guess? Recruiting might be tough for them and they will never be on the Michigan/OSU level in football or the Indiana/OSU level in basketball. I just dont see Maryland being relevant aside from being in a relevant conference unless their UnderArmour golden goose goes all Phil Knight/Oregon status for them.

Please stop with the ESPN/NBC in talks for an ACC Network talk is just patently misleading. ESPN/NBC WILL NEVER work together. ESPN hates Comcast more than any other company that is why they have teamed up with FOX/News Corp on the Pac-12 and Big XII TV rights against NBC Sports Network/Comcast. Comcast can threat ESPN's monthly rates on its platform that is why ESPN dislikes Comcast so much. The ND football rights are with NBC till 2015 the only chance an ACC Network can take off is if ND signs with ESPN and I doubt after this undefeated year in ND football that NBC won't overpay ND to keep one of its few valuable properties. The ACC can talk about a network all they want, but without having ND's 3rd tier rights and ESPN's parent company Disney pushing a potential ACC network on cable companies with there other networks the ACC network will never take off. Thus unless ND leaves NBC for ESPN good night to an ACC network and your forgetting the potential SEC network and I doubt ESPN will leverage BOTH networks they will probably choose to help 1 more than the other.

Please stop with the "WILL NEVER"' stuff. It's business, and you never know what is going to happen. ND has all the leverage in rights negotiations and they can use it to help the ACC as much as get overpaid by NBC. ESPN didn't become ESPN by being stupid.

You seem to be as certain about this stuff as you were about Marrone's ability in October.

I like it.

Not having all the schools in the ACC tourney would be an issue but it means more tickets for Syracuse, so that works for me.

A 22 game conference schedule might be too much. Might need to play the teams in the other 2 divisions once each season, to take the conference schedule to 18 games instead.

How does this look for divisions? Would the ACC go for geography based divisions now that Maryland is gone? Probably not...they would probably end up with some randomly grouped set of schools instead.

North
Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Louisville
Notre Dame

Mid South
Virginia
North Carolina
North Carolina St
Duke
Wake Forest

South
Miami
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Clemson
Virginia Tech

I would move VTech up to Mid South, Virginia up to North and move L'ville to the South. To me that is more culturally appropriate :)

On the other hand, in terms of football divisions the South region would simply be murderous on the other divisions.

I like it.

North
Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Louisville
Notre Dame

Mid South
Virginia
North Carolina
North Carolina St
Duke
Wake Forest

South
Miami
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Clemson
Virginia Tech

I like the approach. But the "South" Division looks a little "Light."

Please stop with the "WILL NEVER"' stuff. It's business, and you never know what is going to happen. ND has all the leverage in rights negotiations and they can use it to help the ACC as much as get overpaid by NBC. ESPN didn't become ESPN by being stupid.

You seem to be as certain about this stuff as you were about Marrone's ability in October.
http://sports.morganwick.com/2012/10/why-espn-effectively-created-a-fox-sports-network-and-why-nbc-was-never-going-to-compete-with-either-of-them/
I don't expect you to read that because your more interested in taking cheap shots at me. It is business and the fact that ESPN was willingly help create a better funded and smartly run organization in NewsCorp/FOX create a FOX Sports Cable 1 rather than allow NBC Sports Network get any good rights tells you something. If you actually made a smart argument like Dick Edersol left NBC Sports and he was the lynchpin between the good relations of NBC and ND then maybe I would listen to you, but again all you want to do is take cheapshots. If saying the odds an ESPN/NBC venture into an ACC network were .00000000001% than 0% and that makes you happy fine. The work that Newscorp did to get the BTN up and running they did a lot of work. They leveraged FX and Fox News Channel on Directv to get the BTN on the basic tier. I doubt you know that, but again all you are doing is taking cheap shots at me.

http://sports.morganwick.com/2012/10/why-espn-effectively-created-a-fox-sports-network-and-why-nbc-was-never-going-to-compete-with-either-of-them/
I don't expect you to read that because your more interested in taking cheap shots at me. It is business and the fact that ESPN was willingly help create a better funded and smartly run organization in NewsCorp/FOX create a FOX Sports Cable 1 rather than allow NBC Sports Network get any good rights tells you something. If you actually made a smart argument like Dick Edersol left NBC Sports and he was the lynchpin between the good relations of NBC and ND then maybe I would listen to you, but again all you want to do is take cheapshots. If saying the odds an ESPN/NBC venture into an ACC network were .00000000001% than 0% and that makes you happy fine. The work that Newscorp did to get the BTN up and running they did a lot of work. They leveraged FX and Fox News Channel on Directv to get the BTN on the basic tier. I doubt you know that, but again all you are doing is taking cheap shots at me.
You know, maybe if you weren't so interested in being a about disagreeing with almost everyone, maybe your arguments would be a little better accepted. Presentation matters.

Don't understand your venom against people, especially arb, who is just trying to provide what INSIDER info he can. Whether it's right or wrong, it's from a connected source. He doesn't have to do any of this. Most of us appreciate that.

Just sayin'

You missed this: "ESPN hates Comcast"

They used to be friends but Comcast banged ESPN's chick.

ND is a member of the ACC, therefore they are a part of the any ACC network. To what degree is the question. ND has the leverage here, not NBC.

If there is 1 thing we all should have learned over the past 8 years of realignment is to NEVER say NEVER.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

You know, maybe if you weren't so interested in being a about disagreeing with almost everyone, maybe your arguments would be a little better accepted. Presentation matters.

Don't understand your venom against people, especially arb, who is just trying to provide what INSIDER info he can. Whether it's right or wrong, it's from a connected source. He doesn't have to do any of this. Most of us appreciate that.

Just sayin'
I agree with you Arb is one of my favorite posters, but I just want to correct some things he says. I appreciate him and OE everyday for their information. When somebody different attacks me I will bark back. If you feel its venom towards him its not its more correcting the record. ESPN/NBC are highly unlikely to work together because of their history. I want an ACC network, but ND needs to dump NBC for it to happen.

I agree with you Arb is one of my favorite posters, but I just want to correct some things he says. I appreciate him and OE everyday for their information. When somebody different attacks me I will bark back. If you feel its venom towards him its not its more correcting the record. ESPN/NBC are highly unlikely to work together because of their history. I want an ACC network, but ND needs to dump NBC for it to happen.
OK - maybe it's just the tone I sense, as opposed to what is really there. Peace