So ESPN is now Mystery Science Theater 3000 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So ESPN is now Mystery Science Theater 3000

Okay so if it was Bilas, Raftery, and Sean Mcdonough from a studio... would you care?

Yes. They can't see everything from the studio, like when a guy gets up off the bench apparently.

Yes. They can't see everything from the studio, like when a guy gets up off the bench apparently.

I saw it from my TV, I'm not sure why they (Anish) didn't see it from their viewing vantage point?

I wonder who the refs are going to explain certain calls to that get made like a Flagrant 1, technicals, etc. that afterwards gets broadcasted/relayed to the larger viewing audience?

It's a non issue. It's because Anish isn't that good of an announcer and Dino is a WF homer.

those announcers weren't at the game. They called it from the studio in Connecticut watching it on monitors like you and I.

I'll be the first to say that I didn't know that while watching, other than some odd situations like Anish not knowing Battle was in the game.

Bad bad new trend in sports broadcasting. Going to lose the nuanced information that on site announcers bring to the broadcast.
Joel Mareiness without the phone booth.

You thought the announcers felt normal last night?

I don't think the announcers are ever all that good. As a fan of a team anytime your team is on a broadcast they all repeat the same stories, same mispronunciations, same tired old facts. Honestly I mostly tune them out. Not noticing Battle coming back in was weird, sure. But the camera angle bothered me much more than the tuned out announcers lol

They lost me for good when they kicked Sarina Morales out the door. As a former classmate of hers, she's one of the top Latina sports talents in the industry right now and gave the "AM" show some real punch.

ESPN says they're committed to increasing POC in on-air roles, and then she gets the axe. Sounds like they don't want to put their $$ where their mouth is.

Hate to see anyone lose their job, especially if she is a friend of yours. But I really didn't think she added much of anything to the AM show, no offense.

Should have kids from the home school do the announcing.
I was going to say that.

It will be like baseball, each team can bring their own and we can choose the feed... and if they don’t want to, then yeah, you get the home schools kids/team.

What's next? Getting rid of the halftime studio analysis of the game and replacing it with a political panel discussion?

Anyone remember NBC's experiment with no announcers for an NFL game back in 1980? Maybe we're headed back there. :D

They do this, yet we have 8,000 options for the college football playoff. Strange.

The announcers don't bother me at all. Don't really care what any of them say. They blend in with the crowd to me when I watch anyway.

The announcers don't bother me at all. Don't really care what any of them say. They blend in with the crowd to me when I watch anyway.

I'm exactly the same way. That's why I never notice when so many people are complaining about them "cheering" for the other team. The one thing that will drive me crazy is not telling who fouls are on and how many fouls the players have.

Assume that's what was behind the single camera angle from somewhere in the rafters like watching my cousin livestream his son's CYO game using Facebook Live on his iPhone.

I'm exactly the same way. That's why I never notice when so many people are complaining about them "cheering" for the other team. The one thing that will drive me crazy is not telling who fouls are on and how many fouls the players have.

Exactly. As long as I know who a foul is called on I really don't care what they say or do.

This is a version of back to the future.
Back before TV ...radio announcers in all sports used to do play-by-play recreations.
They'd sit in the studio...see the play that came over the teletype and then create the details of the play themselves.

Obviously, now you can see what really happened.
But not being physically at the game means the announcers have no feel for it and won't see things that aren't on the feed.
Sometimes that's important...like a player down as play progresses to the other end.

By the way...try listening to the online call on WAER.
Some of the student announcers are pretty good...like Ian Eagle's son, Noah.

Back in the early 80's, when ESPN was just starting, they often did something similar. They would re-broadcast games originally shown by regional over-the-air networks (Raycom, CD Chesley?, etc). However, they would only show the original video, and would add their own commentary. Of course, they would have had the opportunity to see the game, if not read the newspaper accounts, before they produced their version. Often, I could return from a Saturday game in Charlottesville, and re-watch it Sunday morning on ESPN. IIRC, it was often Bob Ley or Tom Mees behind the mic, but I could be wrong about that. It's been awhile, doncha know!

What's next? Getting rid of the halftime studio analysis of the game and replacing it with a political panel discussion?

It would give CNN an audience outside of airport departure gates.

If the choice is between airing a game on one of the ESPN channels with broadcasters in a studio or streaming a game on ESPN3/ACC Network with the broadcasters at the game, I will take the former.