So ESPN is now Mystery Science Theater 3000 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So ESPN is now Mystery Science Theater 3000

About half way through the game I picked up on this. The crowd audio was very low and we never saw them on camera. Feel bad for someone like Anish because you know he's buttoned up but then he misspeaks about Battle not being on the court. Zero chance that happens if he's courtside. Working in the business, this will become a much more prevalent thing down the road.

This is silly, what does cost to send these guys to the game from Connecticut? $5k? Two airfares ($1000), a rental care ($350) travel time (16 hours), two hotels for two nights ($1000) and three days of meals ($500). That's a rounding error in their monthly expenses.

I'm ok with this, as every company will look to cut costs any way they can, but they need to improve it. You cannot simply mute out the crowd. It sounded like there was nobody there and made for a really boring watch. You can pipe in the crowd noise with the two announcers speaking over it, not that hard.

This is probably along the same lines as the local guys Higgins and whoever doing the ESPN3 games over the first month. I guess Wake didn't have any local guys that could do the game in person?

Probably an easy decision with the storm hitting NC afterward, too.
This makes no sense. When ESPN was just a nascent network with a fraction of its subscriber base and commanding nowhere near the fees, they still had announcers live at every game. Corporate America at its cost-cutting worst, devaluing the overall product.

If the choice is between airing a game on one of the ESPN channels with broadcasters in a studio or streaming a game on ESPN3/ACC Network with the broadcasters at the game, I will take the former.
Oh sure, be all reasonable...

This makes no sense. When ESPN was just a nascent network with a fraction of its subscriber base and commanding nowhere near the fees, they still had announcers live at every game. Corporate America at its cost-cutting worst, devaluing the overall product.
When ESPN was just a wee little company, it was just ESPN and then ESPN2 for many years.

Now, it's ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN News, Watch ESPN, etc...

And the costs ESPN pays for the rights to the NFL and others is astronomical compared to anything from years ago.

those announcers weren't at the game. They called it from the studio in Connecticut watching it on monitors like you and I.

I'll be the first to say that I didn't know that while watching, other than some odd situations like Anish not knowing Battle was in the game.

Bad bad new trend in sports broadcasting. Going to lose the nuanced information that on site announcers bring to the broadcast.

Actually, NO - it is not at all like MST3k.

One program has competent announcers and relevant commentary.
And the other is ESPN.

i especially like when crow t. raffbot talks about our red zone cuba with manos hands of fate principles ...

Actually, NO - it is not at all like MST3k.

One program has competent announcers and relevant commentary.
And the other is ESPN.

I just thought and posted the exact same thing! Jinx!

I rarely listen to the TV audio if I can avoid it. I listen to Matt Park/Jim Satalin on radio app and just cue it to the TV with DVR. I mute the TV sound.