So Greg Marshall, Sean Miller and Kevin Ollie are better coaches than JB | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So Greg Marshall, Sean Miller and Kevin Ollie are better coaches than JB

I have 0 problems with the list. Think it may be generous.

Generous? Hes about 9-1 career against Beilein whos supposedly a better coach. This list is mainly about last year.

Generous? Yes 9-1 career against
Beilein whos supposedly a better coach. This list is mainly about last year.

Agreed. I am sure the coaches had ideNtical situations that totally make this a valid comparison.

eyeroll.gif

He is? I must have missed the championship that he won
Didn't he win as a player at Pitt. Oh wait, they never got that far (as always). Maybe he based it on Miller's TONIGHT show appearance. Yeah, JB never has been on the TONIGHT show. (or was he in 2003?)

Yeah it's like when you're at the grocery store and you pick up two apples. One is bruised and has some unidentifiable insect bits and one is an attractive color and firm. I'm sure that you say to yourself, Well, since I'm not an apple, I have zero qualifications to determine which of these apples is the better apple. So you buy and eat both and get the trots from the first one.
Yeah that's it. Perfect analogy.

Yeah it's like when you're at the grocery store and you pick up two apples. One is bruised and has some unidentifiable insect bits and one is an attractive color and firm. I'm sure that you say to yourself, Well, since I'm not an apple, I have zero qualifications to determine which of these apples is the better apple. So you buy and eat both and get the trots from the first one.

You won Syracusefan.com today. Kudos, sir.

It's made pretty clear that recency factors into it heavily.

It's a Subjective ranking. I would have ranked him about for spots higher but I won't lose sleep over it.

I heard he was pretty into it. Even wrote a letter:

"Dear ESPN,

O.M.G. the McRib is back..."

Not so much

C'mon, give it up. It's a third rate syracuse.com caliber "take."

The best college basketball analyst in the business has coached a grand total of zero basketball games on any level.

This top coaches list just keeps getting dumber and dumber. K only at 4? Pitino 5?...Give me a break. Izzo will be one on this list. I see it coming.

Nope...Calipari. Even worse:)

I'm actually not surprised K is that "low." It's a ranking of how coaches are doing "right now." Since winning the title Duke has a total of 5 tournament wins and 2 first round exits...to a 15 and 14 seed.

In the same time span we've had nine.

Didn't the article declare up front that these ratings were not based on a coaching career's body of work, but on recent success?

Yeah the ranking really doesn't make sense. Pitino somehow ends up behind Coach K with a sweet 16 trip, a national championship, and a final four run in the last 3 years. Meanwhile Coach K got knocked out twice in the first matchup, and got to the sweet 16 in the last 3 years. This is supposedly a recent success scale they are using. I'm not really seeing it. If it really is about recent success over the past couple seasons as they say, Coach K would probably be no better than 9 or 10. Pitino would be top 3 easy. Jimmy B would be behind Pitino and ahead of Coach K somewhere.

Watch Sean Miller draw up a play out of a timeout.

Didn't the article declare up front that these ratings were not based on a coaching career's body of work, but on recent success?
Recent success like, say, 149 wins over the last 5 years? Two 1 seeds in the tournament? The only time as a seed outside of a 3 being a 4, in a season in which the team went to the Final Four? Being ranked #1 multiple times over that span?

You mean that kind of recent success?

Recent success like, say, 149 wins over the last 5 years? Two 1 seeds in the tournament? The only time as a seed outside of a 3 being a 4, in a season in which the team went to the Final Four? Being ranked #1 multiple times over that span?

You mean that kind of recent success?

You forgot two conference championships.

Billy Donovan is number one. What an arbitrary list. The coach who is apparently doing the best job RIGHT NOW has zero national championships in the last five years and just took the top team in the country to a loss against a seven seed.

We can't all be fortunate enough to root for teams coached by Bobby Hurley.

I think it's about time you gave it a rest

You forgot two conference championships.

Billy Donovan is number one. What an arbitrary list. The coach who is apparently doing the best job RIGHT NOW has zero national championships in the last five years and just took the top team in the country to a loss against a seven seed.

Right?...I'm not "outraged at lists guy", but that whole piece reeked of "how do we get some clicks and people talking at a dead time in sports?"

Right?...I'm not "outraged at lists guy", but that whole piece reeked of "how do we get some clicks and people talking at a dead time in sports?"

Me neither. But this list really seems to be put together with the intention to piss off as many fan bases as possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom