So here is a rules question | Syracusefan.com

So here is a rules question

upperdeck

Living Legend
Defense has 12 on the field and a guy is trying to get off the field when the offense commits a false start..

one would think the offense could challenge it?

It just happened in the PSU/Miss St game

its a reviewable play so why didnt the replay booth say anything?

Yeah, that sequence just looked odd.

If there is a false start, the zebras blow the whistle and the play never occurred. I don't think the defense would be flagged.

If there is a false start, the zebras blow the whistle and the play never occurred. I don't think the defense would be flagged.
Correct because it predates the snap which is what is needed to cause the 12 man penalty if I recall.

Yeah, seems like false start is pre-snap. The 12th man can't be penalized until the ball is snapped, so it never happened.
12th man is called all the time before a snap. And its called on both teams that way.

so a team could have 20 guys on the field and a team is lined up to go and see it and false starts and there is no penalty?

but its vague on how they call it.. sometimes they call it before the snap and sometimes they let it play out based on how the guy is going on off the field.

had the snap been valid its a penalty.

12th man is called all the time before a snap. And its called on both teams that way.

so a team could have 20 guys on the field and a team is lined up to go and see it and false starts and there is no penalty?

but its vague on how they call it.. sometimes they call it before the snap and sometimes they let it play out based on how the guy is going on off the field.

For the offense, 12 men is almost always called pre-snap because you're only allowed 11 guys in the huddle. For defense it depends: if you just have 12+ defenders standing around as if ready to play, they will usually call it pre-snap. But if your extra guys are trying to get off the field, they'll let it play out. If the offense false starts, then the snap didn't officially happen so those guys trying to get off the field are ok.

For the offense, 12 men is almost always called pre-snap because you're only allowed 11 guys in the huddle. For defense it depends: if you just have 12+ defenders standing around as if ready to play, they will usually call it pre-snap. But if your extra guys are trying to get off the field, they'll let it play out. If the offense false starts, then the snap didn't officially happen so those guys trying to get off the field are ok.
Once the offense is in the set mode they can only have one guy in motion, no?

I've never seen a defensive 12th man called pre-snap. I've only seen it called on offense pre-snap.

I've never seen a defensive 12th man called pre-snap. I've only seen it called on offense pre-snap.
if the D has 12 on the field and the snap is going to happen the play gets stopped now..

if the 12th is running off the field the play is not stopped.

if the D has 12 on the field and the snap is going to happen the play gets stopped now..

if the 12th is running off the field the play is not stopped.
I guess I haven't seen a game recently with 12 defenders on the field without one trying to get off.

I guess I haven't seen a game recently with 12 defenders on the field without one trying to get off.
It’s an interesting approach to be certain although I think ND is starting the trend of only sending 10 from what I hear.

I can't ever recall seeing 12 on the field called on a defense without a snap occurring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom