So how are guys like Wax, Barron, Thompson viewing things? | Syracusefan.com

So how are guys like Wax, Barron, Thompson viewing things?

Cusefan69

All American
Anyone hearing any chatter from some of our core? Are they drinking the “Cool Aid” Fran is serving? I believe LA was pretty excited. I would think Wax would be amped up.

Prior to the start of the season, I had Wax pegged as leaving for the NFL since this was his 4th year. Would be fantastic if he were back for 1 more season! He's a big part of this team, and seems like a great leader in the middle. Having Thompson at 100% next year would make for a really solid set of LB's.

Prior to the start of the season, I had Wax pegged as leaving for the NFL since this was his 4th year. Would be fantastic if he were back for 1 more season! He's a big part of this team, and seems like a great leader in the middle. Having Thompson at 100% next year would make for a really solid set of LB's.
Would like wax back. I think he takes some time to evaluate his options. He saw Jones was not drafted and recently released as a free agent. If he thinks the new defense can get him more exposure and the nil is there maybe he stays.

Barron played a unique role in the 3-3-5, anyone know how he'll fit what Brown's going to run?
What are differences in the secondary between a 3-3-5 and 4-2-5? Are the differences between the front 6 bigger than the back 5?

More of a traditional 4 man line. No more of the 270 pound nose tackle crap.
But what does that have to do with the secondary and Barron's fit in the new defense?

But what does that have to do with the secondary and Barron's fit in the new defense?
It doesn’t. I was responding to the “front 6 being bigger” question

It doesn’t. I was responding to the “front 6 being bigger” question
That wasn't the question though. I wasn't asking about the size of the players. I was asking if the differences in scheme are bigger for the front 6 than they are for the back 5. And the context was with regards to Barron's fit in the defense since both defenses use 5 dbs in the base alignment.

What are differences in the secondary between a 3-3-5 and 4-2-5? Are the differences between the front 6 bigger than the back 5?
from my basic understanding it's the up front 6 is where we will see the most difference.
If you look at TCU who runs a 4-2-5 (Patterson has for a long time) they run it with 3 safeties so Barron's role would still be there.

Non-coach here - from what I’ve seen the 3-3-5 that SU has used leverages tweener players to allow teams that don’t get big lineman to compete by focusing on speed, formations, and shooting gaps from everywhere, The 5th db is a hybrid lb/safety - Justin Baron. He comes down as an extra box player, plays over TE’s, can rotate back to strong safety when the defense varies coverages. A lot of formational variation to make the offenses try to think about what’s going on.

The 4-2-5 I’ve seen the most is the Bills. Traditional 4 man front with the 5th db a slot corner instead of a lb. Taron Johnson for the Bills. Needs to be good in run support. Basically playing nickel as a base because teams use three wide such a high percentage in the nfl.

Last edited:
Non-coach here - from what I’ve seen the 3-3-5 that SU has used leverages tweener players to allow teams that get big lineman to compete by focusing on speed, formations, and shooting gaps from everywhere, The 5th db is a hybrid lb/safety - Justin Baron. He comes down as an extra box player, plays over TE’s, can rotate back to strong safety when the defense varies coverages. A lot of formational variation to make the offenses try to think about what’s going on.

The 4-2-5 I’ve seen the most is the Bills. Traditional 4 man front with the 5th db a slot corner instead of a lb. Taron Johnson for the Bills. Needs to be good in run support. Basically playing nickel as a base because teams use three wide such a high percentage in the nfl.
Thanks. That makes sense. So, with regards to the secondary it sounds like hybrid vs more traditional nickle type. I wonder how we'll deal with the occasional more run based teams. Do we change up who the 5th DB is based on the offense's personnel or shift to a 3rd LB.

Does it offend you in some way? They have two 300 lb guys backing him up. Darton played because he has a high motor, plays with great leverage, and makes plays.
Yeah. And I think he could be more effective with another big guy next to him absorbing some of the punishment. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he won the new staff over and stayed in the rotation.

Thanks. That makes sense. So, with regards to the secondary it sounds like hybrid vs more traditional nickle type. I wonder how we'll deal with the occasional more run based teams. Do we change up who the 5th DB is based on the offense's personnel or shift to a 3rd LB.
I was referring to the Bills, based on watching them. Others could use a guy like Barron and then you are just using a DE instead of a 3rd LB.

I think the extra DB is more of a slot corner like an nfl nickel defense. I thought I saw that somewhere when the 4-2-5 defense got brought up around the hire.