So how are we interpreting our 300+ yarfs rushing? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So how are we interpreting our 300+ yarfs rushing?

Can Eric hold up running for 100 yards plus a game. Feel like that is the recipe to success and failure if he’s not built to do it.

Love to know how guys like Lamar Jackson was able to do it and stay on field? Feel like there is a template for running qbs to stay on field. It may be the super fast offense and the more plays is creating more injury chances for him? Like some have said dungey is the best thing for our team but not the right qb for the system Dino ultimately wants to run

Can Eric hold up running for 100 yards plus a game. Feel like that is the recipe to success and failure if he’s not built to do it.

Love to know how guys like Lamar Jackson was able to do it and stay on field? Feel like there is a template for running qbs to stay on field. It may be the super fast offense and the more plays is creating more injury chances for him? Like some have said dungey is the best thing for our team but not the right qb for the system Dino ultimately wants to run
With guys like Lamar Jackson or Michael Vick, few got a clean shot on them because of their speed. If a defender came at them with a lot of speed they could juke or cut and make them look silly. I think they were also better at getting out of bounds when they were near the sideline.

As I wrote elsewhere: Rushing yardage for RBs not named Dungey or Devito: 122 yards on 40 attempts = 3.05 yards per carry. That kind of OL run blocking won't cut it in the ACC.

Good point ... in other words, ED can run RPO effectively but if we live on that we do so at our peril. This reinforces the point I've been making for a while now - offensive diversity. Yes we were deliberately vanilla against WMU - per Cusian's point above. But we still desperately need the two other phases to start functioning at a higher level. Against WMU there were signs of hope ... Custis and Moe Neal both looked pretty good.

We are an RPO team. Plain and simple.

It seemed to me that Dino wanted to use this game to practice being physical, hence the buch sets. He knows what we can do when we're spread out. I also think it showed we're still too dependent on Dungey for rushing yards.

We are an RPO team. Plain and simple.
Why does it seem RPO results in our QB running it so much more than other RPO teams? Dino has said he prefers passing QBs in his offense. I assume that also means, ideally, he doesn't want our QB leading us in rushing.

It seemed to me that Dino wanted to use this game to practice being physical, hence the buch sets. He knows what we can do when we're spread out. I also think it showed we're still too dependent on Dungey for rushing yards.

I'm very curious to see how they pass in that big guy set. I'm thinking there are a lot of interesting options that we didn't see because the game was in hand.

Why does it seem RPO results in our QB running it so much more than other RPO teams? Dino has said he prefers passing QBs in his offense. I assume that also means, ideally, he doesn't want our QB leading us in rushing.

Can't answer why they ran the read option that many times, but it could be that other than Custis no one was catching the ball.

A good coach uses the players talent to their ablilty along with what just happens to be successful vs the team they are playing.

Can' answer why they ran the read option that many times, but it could be that other than Custis no one was catching the ball.
Maybe someone with a coaches eye can answer this for me. When we run the read option, how often does Dungey make the correct read? It seems like every team knows he is our best running option and would focus on taking him away, resulting in more carries for the RBs. I'm not talking about just this game but looking back to last year too. Does Dungey have so much more confidence in himself than anyone else that he keeps it more than he needs to?

As I wrote elsewhere: Rushing yardage for RBs not named Dungey or Devito: 122 yards on 40 attempts = 3.05 yards per carry. That kind of OL run blocking won't cut it in the ACC.

You have to filter out the garbage yards at the end of the 4th. We weren’t trying to score.

I also don’t know why you’d want to exclude a running QB’s designed runs.

Maybe someone with a coaches eye can answer this for me. When we run the read option, how often does Dungey make the correct read? It seems like every team knows he is our best running option and would focus on taking him away, resulting in more carries for the RBs. I'm not talking about just this game but looking back to last year too. Does Dungey have so much more confidence in himself than anyone else that he keeps it more than he needs to?

Good question. That said, I can't recall a run where he got stopped at the line, so looks like he was reading it correctly when he kept it.

You have to filter out the garbage yards at the end of the 4th. We weren’t trying to score.

I also don’t know why you’d want to exclude a running QB’s designed runs.

Weren't trying to score? Sorry but that is plain wrong. Maybe not using different sets but not trying to score is dead wrong. They ran the power set while trying to score and it didn't., it wasn't that they were not trying Cusian.

Good question. That said, I can't recall a run where he got stopped at the line, so looks like he was reading it correctly when he kept it.

From my TV view it looked as if the WMU D took the RB's away and ED made the perfect reads and cuts. Ain't no football coach though so I could be wrong on that.

I think we need to be careful not to overreact to one game.

- what if instead of the read option where Dungey is taking it up the middle for 20+ yds sapop we had him pitching it to Moe for the same yardage? We’d be dancing in the streets lol.

- it was working so we ran it a lot. That’s good, 1000%. I’m really glad we have a HC who will make the D stop what’s working, rather than preemptively disarming to get cute

- It was a vanilla gameplan vs a pretty good opponent. That is *very* good news as to what our staff thinks they can do. We’re not needing trick plays to beat Nova in OT at home

Weren't trying to score? Sorry but that is plain wrong. Maybe not using different sets but not trying to score is dead wrong. They ran the power set while trying to score and it didn't., it wasn't that they were not trying Cusian.

If they wanted to score, they would have passed against the 9 man front to the giant WR who had 165 yards and two TD already

If they wanted to score, they would have passed against the 9 man front to the giant WR who had 165 yards and two TD already

I suppose we are arguing semantics here but not wanting to score means nealing down to me. Moe wanted that end zone and the OL wanted to drive him there. SU just kept the same formation to yes, extend the clock but yet was trying to score using the same power O. It was a win, win more situation.

I suppose we are arguing semantics here but not wanting to score means nealing down to me. Moe wanted that end zone and the OL wanted to drive him there. SU just kept the same formation to yes, extend the clock but yet was trying to score using the same power O. It was a win, win more situation.

Ah - I thought it was pretty clear we were running out the clock.

Ah - I thought it was pretty clear we were running out the clock.

I apologize if I misread but not trying to score to me means just that to me not having your hottest back in the game behind your starting O line. Seems we are on the same page.

Or he's just that much better. Like I said, that question wasn't just in reference to oir last game but also th3 larger sample size of last year. I'll be interested to see how it develops.