So how are we interpreting our 300+ yarfs rushing? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

So how are we interpreting our 300+ yarfs rushing?

I think we need to be careful not to overreact to one game.

- what if instead of the read option where Dungey is taking it up the middle for 20+ yds sapop we had him pitching it to Moe for the same yardage? We’d be dancing in the streets lol.

- it was working so we ran it a lot. That’s good, 1000%. I’m really glad we have a HC who will make the D stop what’s working, rather than preemptively disarming to get cute

- It was a vanilla gameplan vs a pretty good opponent. That is *very* good news as to what our staff thinks they can do. We’re not needing trick plays to beat Nova in OT at home
We'd be dancing in the streets because we want our QB to finish the season.

Or he's just that much better. Like I said, that question wasn't just in reference to oir last game but also th3 larger sample size of last year. I'll be interested to see how it develops.

Those big holes he was running through is not because he is better (well, he is, but not because of that play), it's because the defense reacted to the RB giving him that hole. But, yes, we'll see how things go down the road.

1) I looked at the play-by-play and the box score and Neal, who was the running back on both of the last two possessions, ran the ball 17 times for 43 yards, (2.4). He and Strickland had 25 carries for 87 yards before that, (3.5). 3.5 is better than 2.4 but its still not very good.

2) I understand they didn't need to score in the last possession but we needed to get first downs to drain the clock, (and did). I felt we sure wanted to score in the second to last possession and that we should have kicked the field goal when we didn't punch it in to get the 23 point lead. It wasn't enough to run out the clock up 20 with 12:44 left in the fourth quarter, which is when the drive began.

3) I don't buy the "vanilla" argument. We were playing a school that was in the Cotton Bowl two years ago and went 6-6 despite 21 season ending injuries last year. All those guys were back and we were in their place. Winning this game was a key to our season and we weren't going to play it close to the vest to not reveal anything to Florida State.

1) I looked at the play-by-play and the box score and Neal, who was the running back on both of the last two possessions, ran the ball 17 times for 43 yards, (2.4). He and Strickland had 25 carries for 87 yards before that, (3.5). 3.5 is better than 2.4 but its still not very good.

If you're including garbage time in the 4th, it's not good. But it was clear we were running out the clock. Moe got a lot of run then.

2) I understand they didn't need to score in the last possession but we needed to get first downs to drain the clock, (and did). I felt we sure wanted to score in the second to last possession and that we should have kicked the field goal when we didn't punch it in to get the 23 point lead. It wasn't enough to run out the clock up 20 with 12:44 left in the fourth quarter, which is when the drive began.

Up 20, you want a nice long drive with 3.3 per carry. Scoring is nice, but the clock is the bigger deal.

3) I don't buy the "vanilla" argument. We were playing a school that was in the Cotton Bowl two years ago and went 6-6 despite 21 season ending injuries last year. All those guys were back and we were in their place. Winning this game was a key to our season and we weren't going to play it close to the vest to not reveal anything to Florida State.

I couldn't disagree more. We didn't show a lot. Same bunch of plays over and over. They worked, so we didn't need to dig deeper.

As I said, Moe was the only RB in there in the last two possessions. We were running out the clock on the last one when he carried 6 times for 19 yards, (3.2) but not in the second to last one when he carried 9 times for 19 yards, (2.1). he did better when we were running out the clock than when we weren't.

As I said, Moe was the only RB in there in the last two possessions. We were running out the clock on the last one when he carried 6 times for 19 yards, (3.2) but not in the second to last one when he carried 9 times for 19 yards, (2.1). he did better when we were running out the clock than when we weren't.

Up 20 in the 4th and handing the ball off = running out the clock. Both drives fit the bill and both should be heavily discounted in his per carry avg, IMO.

Up 20 in the 4th and handing the ball off = running out the clock. Both drives fit the bill and both should be heavily discounted in his per carry avg, IMO.
15 carries for 38 yards is pretty crappy no matter when it happens.

15 carries for 38 yards is pretty crappy no matter when it happens.

I don’t think so. If the primary goal is to a) keep the ball and b) run a lot of clock, mission successful.

He broke the SU QB rushing record. Lamar Jackson has a 226 yard game under his belt for the ACC record.
I don’t think that’s true
The announcers stated it during the game. They were wrong. I think that's the disconnect here.

Is anyone ever going to fix the subject of this thread or am I just going to call it yarfs from here on out.

(no need to respond).
it has a better chance of catching on than the rest of otto's hopeless quests

Is anyone ever going to fix the subject of this thread or am I just going to call it yarfs from here on out.

(no need to respond).
Just go with it.

Interpret it?

Well I can make a hat, or a broach, or a pterodactyl...

airplane-hat.jpg

Not with 12:44 left.

If you're including garbage time in the 4th, it's not good. But it was clear we were running out the clock. Moe got a lot of run then.

Up 20, you want a nice long drive with 3.3 per carry. Scoring is nice, but the clock is the bigger deal.

I couldn't disagree more. We didn't show a lot. Same bunch of plays over and over. They worked, so we didn't need to dig deeper.

I didn't include the last two drives, (even if they were hardly "garbage time"). As I said, 3.5 yards per carry before that isn't very good, either. Up 20 with 12:44 left against a team that has been scoring from as far out as 83 yards, you are not looking for 2.4 ypc. Again, why would be "vanilla" against this team? 13-1 and in the Cotton Bowl two years ago, 6-6 last year with 21 guys out and they're all back. we're in their place and it's a must get game if we want to get to a bowl. That's hardly a vanilla situation. This game was arguably as important as the FSU game.

Last edited:

(no need to respond).
I thought he was using olde English to make a point. He is quite erudite and convoluted.

I didn't include the last two drives, (even if they were hardly "garbage time"). As I said, 3.5 yards per carry before that isn't very good, either. Up 20 with 12:44 left against a team that has been scoring from as far out as 83 yards, you are not looking for 2.4 ypc. Again, why would be "vanilla" against this team? 13-1 and in the Cotton Bowl two years ago, 6-6 last year with 21 guys out and they're all back. we're in their place and it's a must get game if we want to get to a bowl. That's hardly a vanilla situation. This game was arguably as important as the FSU game.

They ran the same power play over and over again. It was not built on surprise. It was easy to hold Moe to those yards. We didn’t care. We wanted to score, but we wanted the ball with the clock running, more.

You’re questioning the philosophy “why be vanilla against a good team” and I’m telling you what I saw. It’s *possible* Dino has so little faith in the WR and TE that he purposely kept the play calling to super-simple. But I think it’s more likely he knew we could beat this team vanilla... and we did! The only time the O sputtered was when TD was in.

It’s fine to disagree about this stuff.

So I decided to go back through the stats, and discount any runs by the QB's. I also got rid of short yardage situations. That includes any "and goal to go", and any 3rd or 4th and 2 or less. I wanted to discount runs that were specifically to get a push and get some yards for the first down or touchdown. That also actually discounted some solid chunk runs, but I wanted to be fair.

I wanted to throw out the entire 4th quarter but decided not to, in case people thought I was trying to skew the numbers. So here are the numbers for Neal and Strick with that information above.

Name

1st half

2nd half

Totals

Moe Neal

6 runs, 32 yards, 5.3 YPC

8 runs, 22 yards, 2.75 YPC

14 runs, 54 yards, 3.85 YPC

Dontae Strickland

6 runs, 36 yards, 6 YPC

2 runs, -1 yards, -.5 YPC

8 runs, 35 yards, 4.3 YPC

So total, they averaged 22 runs for 89 yards. That's 4.04 YPC. Take from it what you will. I still feel like the 4th quarter completely skews it, but those are the numbers.

So I decided to go back through the stats, and discount any runs by the QB's. I also got rid of short yardage situations. That includes any "and goal to go", and any 3rd or 4th and 2 or less. I wanted to discount runs that were specifically to get a push and get some yards for the first down or touchdown. That also actually discounted some solid chunk runs, but I wanted to be fair.

I wanted to throw out the entire 4th quarter but decided not to, in case people thought I was trying to skew the numbers. So here are the numbers for Neal and Strick with that information above.

Name

1st half

2nd half

Totals

Moe Neal

6 runs, 32 yards, 5.3 YPC

8 runs, 22 yards, 2.75 YPC

14 runs, 54 yards, 3.85 YPC

Dontae Strickland

6 runs, 36 yards, 6 YPC

2 runs, -1 yards, -.5 YPC

8 runs, 35 yards, 4.3 YPC

So total, they averaged 22 runs for 89 yards. That's 4.04 YPC. Take from it what you will. I still feel like the 4th quarter completely skews it, but those are the numbers.

Good work. I agree that the 4th Q skews it. Up 20 in the 4th - I think we’re running to eat clock.

But solid overall.