So... I just watched the press conference and I have an observation. | Syracusefan.com

So... I just watched the press conference and I have an observation.

Zepharus

Starter
It tuned in expecting the team to acknowledge the team that just beat you and be a little bit humble, but I came away getting the feeling that both mintz and Bell had an arrogant approach to this press conference. I was honestly shocked when Judah basically said no it was no trouble their defense I just missed shots. Not to be outdone Bell double down with basically the same sentiment.

I could be wrong but these are issues for me. You certainly want players to be confident but this just came off wrong.I feel like if you lose by 17, maybe respect your opponent?

I'd be curious to anyone else's thoughts on what they saw in the press conference.

Last edited:
Didn't see the news conference.
Perhaps Judah should be reminded that he can't afford to miss shots and free throws and have a poor turnover game.
Because the Orange don't have anyone to step up and take charge.

But whether he concedes anything or not...Tennessee is a better team on both ends of the court.
Especially rebounding.
And the players know it.

Didn't see the news conference.
Perhaps Judah should be reminded that he can't afford to miss shots and free throws and have a poor turnover game.
Because the Orange don't have anyone to step up and take charge.

But whether he concedes anything or not...Tennessee is a better team on both ends of the court.
Especially rebounding.
And the players know it.
If they didn't, we sure did

Just watched the presser and agree with your observation it was a bit arrogant. It almost defines the attitude Judah seems to play with, possibly underlining his reason for not passing to team mates. i am good and I know it. I suspect Bell was more following Judah's lead, he actually was like a deer in headlights since it was probably his first press conference. On the other hand from a players perspective it seemed to me that the Tenn players were pretty vocal at the end of the game towards the SU players and the last second slam was totally rubbing it in our face. Hopefully Red will speak to Judah and continue to fine tune his edges. We need him desperately but he also needs to mature into a well rounded PG and team leader.

I mean I don’t disagree. Final score is quite misleading. It was a 5 point game with under 3 mins left. And Mintz isn’t wrong. Say we shoot 70% from the line instead of 47 and shoot 50% from within 2 feet of the basket instead of 36%. All of a sudden, that’s 12 extra points and we’re up 7 with 3 mins left instead of down 5.

So yes, I do kind of agree that we missed a lot of shots. Close to the basket too. And I wouldn’t say all of them were all that difficult.

I mean I don’t disagree. Final score is quite misleading. It was a 5 point game with under 3 mins left. And Mintz isn’t wrong. Say we shoot 70% from the line instead of 47 and shoot 50% from within 2 feet of the basket instead of 36%. All of a sudden, that’s 12 extra points and we’re up 7 with 3 mins left instead of down 5.

So yes, I do kind of agree that we missed a lot of shots. Close to the basket too. And I wouldn’t say all of them were all that difficult.
A lot were.

A lot were.

Yeah, Tennessee played some stifling defense, AND we missed some shots we should've made. Seemed like they got us rattled on the offensive end with how physical they were being. Perfect example was Judah getting blocked a few times driving inside.

We always see Judah end up on his back while throwing up a wild shot but I don't really recall his attempts getting blocked especially emphatically like they did tonight.

It tuned in expecting the team to acknowledge the team that just beat you and be a little bit humble, but I came away getting the feeling that both mintz and Bell had an arrogant approach to this press conference. I was honestly shocked when Judah basically said no it was no trouble their defense I just missed shots. Not to be outdone Bell double down with basically the same sentiment.

I could be wrong but these are issues for me. You certainly want players to be confident but this just came off wrong.I feel like if you lose by 17, maybe respect your opponent?

I'd be curious to anyone else's thoughts on what they saw in the press conference.
I personally liked it. We need to get our swagger back.

If they feel like they were good enough to beat Tennessee, but they made some poor decisions and put up some bad shots and missed them and that's why they lost, I'm fine with it. They should acknowledge that Tennessee is a very good team and played good defense and they have to make better decisions against a good defense, and not sound arrogant.

If they feel like they played great and made great decisions start to finish, then yikes.

I don't believe Judah has gotten serious yet this season. He can, and has time to, but will he?

If he wants to play in the NBA, he’s going to have to show he can lead a team to wins and make teammates better. I don’t feel like he has really done that so far. I do think that he can, but he will have to change how he is approaching these games.

If he wants to play in the NBA, he’s going to have to show he can lead a team to wins and make teammates better. I don’t feel like he has really done that so far. I do think that he can, but he will have to change how he is approaching these games.
I totally agree.

I wouldn't feel the need to respect a team that threw an alley oop dunk up 15 with 7 seconds left on the clock. Also a team who acted like soccer players after each bump.

I hope they face UT in the NCAAs. They are a great team, but a beatable great team.

I don't see an NBA skill that he has. He can be - and mostly is - a very good college player. Yesterday showed he doesn't blow by athletic defenders, his drives get stuffed, he isn't a willing passer, and his jump shot is spotty. I think he could be a good defender but that would require a massive change in his mindset.

To me, it looks like Judah was very clearly upset about the lack of fouls being called but he knows he shouldn’t say that to the press. I thought the refs let Tennessee play very physically but we weren’t allowed to do the same. Tons of missed foul calls on our drives and some of them were really bad ones too, like when JJ was slapped in the face on his layup (this one he happened to make). That’s where I think their press conference demeanor is coming from.

To me, it looks like Judah was very clearly upset about the lack of fouls being called but he knows he shouldn’t say that to the press. I thought the refs let Tennessee play very physically but we weren’t allowed to do the same. Tons of missed foul calls on our drives and some of them were really bad ones too, like when JJ was slapped in the face on his layup (this one he happened to make). That’s where I think their press conference demeanor is coming from.
I agree to the reason being upset. He better get used to it because against peer opponents I don't think his flopping is going to get rewarded and he needs to play thru that - first step don't whine, get off your butt and run back and guard.

yeah forcing judah to sit the first half bc of very soft fouls...and then letting tennessee make a ton of contact on syracuse drives in the 2nd and not call them...idk i'd be pissed at the refs too

if theyre going to call super tight...then call super tight...make it consistent and the same for both teams

i dont think we should read too much into the responses in these types of pressers...the players arent under oath. they are actually under no obligation to be totall honest...they have to give answers...

didnt really like the answers bc they are necessarily true...and reflect the problems we are seeing in the team;s play...

hopefully they dont indicate a lack of touch with reality rather than a reluctance to be totally honest...

although, being honest about things is going to be necessary behind closed doors if they want to iron this thing out

I agree to the reason being upset. He better get used to it because against peer opponents I don't think his flopping is going to get rewarded and he needs to play thru that - first step don't whine, get off your butt and run back and guard.
I’m certainly not implying that I’m not frustrated with several tendencies Judah is displaying and as crazy as it sounds, I thought we looked better without Judah for a short time yesterday. But I still think he gets fouled an awful lot and it frustrates him.

I’m not even going to try to proclaim that I’m objective when it comes
to the refs, but yesterday seemed egregious and almost seemed like the refs had a meeting about us: Tennessee is the better team and should advance; if they’re not winning then Cuse must be cheating; Judah flops and never gets hit; Malik brown reaches to poke the ball away and that’s unfair to Tennessee so we won’t allow that, but the Vols are free to play clutch and grab aggressive defense where they denied the ball hard…when we did that they called fouls. ‍♀️

I didn't watch the press conference but tend to prefer honesty over lip service. If they honestly felt like they got the shots they wanted and just didn't hit them, then why say something different?

You owe your opponent a handshake at the end of the game. That's it, imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom