So if Sean Tucker | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So if Sean Tucker

Why not let Sean build his own legacy and how about we don't put unrealistic expectations on the kid?

I get it. You can't re-create how special the day was when it was retired by a first year AD with no history at Syracuse during a 1 win season against a brand new Div 1A team we never played before who shut us out in the game.

Moments like that should be frozen in time.

Hang 44 and his 34 in his locker and let him choose. Honor the history or have a vision and desire to create your own legacy. There is no wrong answer. Either way he nails it.
6C21D21B-B34F-4969-B38C-010790C2D6EB.gif

Why not let Sean build his own legacy and how about we don't put unrealistic expectations on the kid?
Really? Saying it would be cool to see him wear 44, if he's interested, is raising expectations too high? Half the board already had him in the NFL before this thread.

Sean can build a Legacy with whatever number he chooses. Doing it in 44 would be fun for the fans and likely nice publicity, again, if HE was interested.

Legacies are interesting things. Sometimes having yours connected to others benefits both.

You are not from Syracuse and did not grow up a fan. Stop.

Hang 44 and his 34 in his locker and let him choose. Honor the history or have a vision and desire to create your own legacy. There is no wrong answer. Either way he nails it.
View attachment 205334
Sure. Realistically, if you like the idea, you call him into the office and simply say, "No pressure, but we would like to offer this to you. You would share history with a number of great players that have been here. Of course, there are other greats that never wore it, so if you prefer to wear your current number or choose another, that's fine as well."

Hate to be a buzz kill boys, but this thread is dumb. Most “let’s unretire 44 for x y and z” threads are dumb. It was dumb when we were talking about it for Robert Washington, it’s dumb now that we’re talking about it with Tucker. I don’t like saying it because this is a fan forum and we should be able to work through any and all hypotheticals but it feels like we’re beating a dead horse.

Hate to be a buzz kill boys, but this thread is dumb. Most “let’s unretire 44 for x y and z” threads are dumb. It was dumb when we were talking about it for Robert Washington, it’s dumb now that we’re talking about it with Tucker. I don’t like saying it because this is a fan forum and we should be able to work through any and all hypotheticals but it feels like we’re beating a dead horse.
The only thing dumber than your post is retiring the only historical football tradition the program had.

The only thing dumber than your post is retiring the only historical football tradition the program had.

I’m not saying it was smart to retire it but it happened. Sorry I upset you. You can go back to playing make believe with your friends now!

Edit: Here I’ll help! Dome is packed. Cuse is undefeated. ESPN has decided to host game day at SU as an undefeated Cuse welcomes the undefeated ACC power house Clemson. Cuse comes running out. Sean Tucker emerges wearing 44. The crowd goes crazy. Syracuse wins 70-0.

Last edited:
Once was enough.

I'm from Syracuse, not an alum. I also love history.

But I also don't see the value in wanting someone to be a stand in for some ideal from long ago. Let the guy be who he wants to be.
Very likely a respectful and humble carrier in a long line of tremendous distinction and tradition. Your disconnect is a little weird. My son was born in 2002 and pined and fought to wear #44 in Pee Wee football. It was an honor to him. A very meaningful honor. We as sports fans live a continuum of eras. Coaches emphasize that. Many players are savvy to it. It isn’t an ideal from long ago. It’s an ideal today.

I’m not saying it was smart to retire it but it happened. Sorry I upset you. You can go back to playing make believe with your friends now!

Edit: Here I’ll help! Dome is packed. Cuse is undefeated. ESPN has decided to host game day at SU as an undefeated Cuse welcomes the undefeated ACC power house Clemson. Cuse comes running out. Sean Tucker emerges wearing 44. The crowd goes crazy. Syracuse wins 70-0.
It’s a retired number. Not a constitutional amendment. And not for nothing if it wasn’t for Jim Brown it would have bee unretired in 2015. So sorry to burst your fantasy bubble.

It’s a retired number. Not a constitutional amendment. And not for nothing if it wasn’t for Jim Brown it would have bee unretired in 2015. So sorry to burst your fantasy bubble.
Lol ah, gotcha. You work for SU AD? No? So your comment is conjecture. You have no idea if that’s the case or what their stance on it is. Neither do I. What I do know, is every time someone flashes any talent at the RB position, this topic gets brought up and it’s so damn asinine that it turns me into a Debby downer. I’m a lot of things, but a Deborah Downer isn’t one… but my god this convo is played.

You are not from Syracuse and did not grow up a fan. Stop.
Jim Brown isn't from Syracuse and did not grow up a fan. He doesn't want to see his number unretired.

Not even going to get into you telling me my opinion doesn't matter because I'm not "from here".

Jim Brown isn't from Syracuse and did not grow up a fan. He doesn't want to see his number unretired.

Not even going to get into you telling me my opinion doesn't matter because I'm not "from here".
Not worth it. This is a topic that turns the most rational Cuse irrational. I honestly don’t even see what the point is or what perceived advantage unretiring would bring? It’s strange and people get weirdly defensive.

Lol ah, gotcha. You work for SU AD? No? So your comment is conjecture. You have no idea if that’s the case or what their stance on it is. Neither do I. What I do know, is every time someone flashes any talent at the RB position, this topic gets brought up and it’s so damn asinine that it turns me into a Debby downer. I’m a lot of things, but a Deborah Downer isn’t one… but my god this convo is played.
Go away to another thread then, unless you can come up with something better than, "this is stupid".

Doesn’t take an AD to know that Pete Sala announced it was being unretired in 2015 just to backtrack on that shortly after. So it’s obviously something the AD at the time was, at a minimum, seriously considering and then shortly thereafter Jim Brown came on about “his legacy” and it got shelved. It’s Floyd’s number too and he was on record of being in favor of it being reinstated. But since you’re so much smarter than everyone else, you probably already knew that history lesson.

I’ve contributed enough though to derailing the Sean Tucker thread so I’ll let it get back to that.

Last edited:
Yeah, count me in the group that thinks it should be in circulation. I think Sean would be a fine representative.

Don’t want to taint its legacy as it hangs from the rafters looking over every football season collecting dust.

I just can't get over the manner in which it was retired (in case you couldn't tell). Just never felt real to me, even though Jim Brown and Floyd Little participated.

No kid should be pressured into it, but from that Elmore interview, sounds like it's been a bit of a topic of discussion.

I think if the team supports it, and the kid wants it (seems like we could see more of this in the NIL era), then I'm all for it.

If we want to go back to try to make it a recruiting tool, then I'm all for that too.

We have so few traditions. We had one really cool one that the whole fanbase knew, and we let some dude from California come in and retire it to try to sell some more tickets because his disastrous coaching hire was destroying everything.

(I'll stop now... maybe).

Some of you guys wanted to give Robert Washington 44. Let’s pump the breaks and see how this goes.
First of all, one presumes the coaches would be smarter about who gets the number than fans on a fan board.

I go back and forth on this topic, but let me get out of the way that I don’t think it’s a stupid thing for fans to discuss in the off-season. It’s what fans do, or at least should do.

I have come around to the idea that the number should be un-retired. Not saying for Tucker (see my first sentence), but it is a legacy at SU and should be treated as such. And legacies live or they die. It’s great to have statues at Manley, but like everything else, upcoming generations will come to care less and less about those statues if they don’t have some relevance to the current program. Otherwise they just become statues for someone to tear down at some point in the future.

I think the number should be used very selectively for players who want to wear the number. There is nothing wrong with a future great player wearing #22 or #39 or whatever. New traditions are valid too. But if you’re going to keep talking about #44, and it’s obvious the University talks about it a lot, you have to leave open the possibility, the glimmer of hope, that another worthy candidate is out there somewhere and that at some time he can add his name (and likeness) to that list. If that possibility is gone forever, eventually the legacy will be too.

Some of you guys wanted to give Robert Washington 44. Let’s pump the breaks and see how this goes.

Wasn't he a 4 star running back who said he wanted to wear it?

I think you're playing a little bit of hindsight police on this one.

I can't believe Coach Mac wanted to give it to Terry Richardson. David Walker was a much more productive running back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom