So if Sean Tucker | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So if Sean Tucker

What does not being an alum have to do with traditions being passed down through fans like at other schools?
Just the way I interpretted what he was saying.

Just the way I interpretted what he was saying.

When you say “he” I’m not sure if you’re referring to me. But I didn’t go to SU, I’m a semi-local (semi = 1 hr away). From the sounds of it we are about the same age.

It's interesting how our history isn't passed down to younger people the way it is at other schools.

Sure it is!!

Rolling in late for the beginning of the game.
Leaving midway thru the 4th* to beat traffic.
(*change this to 3rd if it's a home blowout loss in progress)
Not going to games at all because: State Fair/lawn mowing/leaf raking/apple picking.
Spilling their Dome Foam all over the people sitting in front of them.
Jingling keys on 3rd down.

such is the rich historical tapestry of Cuse fan traditions, passed down from generation to generation. :p

It was made famous by Jim Brown wearing it, but between him and Ernie and Ernie and Floyd there were others that weren't as prominent that wore it. Then 50 years later it's retired to preserve a legacy? Uh - the legacy was that it was being used in the program and worn by high profile recruits, obviously not all of them were going to pan out at the college level and beyond. But it was being used the same way as when it was given to Jim Brown the first time, and it was being used the same way as when it was in use in the late 50's to mid 60's.

Michael Owens is a great example - Not a 1st round NFL Draft Pick or NFL Hall of Famer (Most college players aren't), but he was the #1 player in Pennsylvania in 1985. Think about that - we may never land the #1 player in PA again. Konrad was arguably the #1 RB in the nation his senior year. Again, something we may never do again. They deserved to wear the number based on the number's purpose to begin with. It was never supposed to be preserved for someone who was already a star, it was never supposed to be hung from a rafter never to be used - part of the fun and excitement about the number was it being handed out again because you knew, at a minimum, that was a recruit the staff and the program highly valued - that was the tradition. It created some buzz. Maybe this next high profile recruit will be a All American and a 1st round pick or maybe he won't - but at least the number and the tradition remained a living breathing thing.

Seems as though Sean may be open to it if & when the time comes.

Elmore mentions it in his interview with Higgins today. Just how people are always saying/tweeting to Tucker to take #44.

Seems like he's is a pretty humble kid, he'd probably only accept it if the team all agreed to it.

How nuts would the dome go if he has a really strong opening, team is 4-1, and comes out for Clemson in 44
5-1 or 4-2 ? Clemson is 7th game. For arguments sake let’s say 5-1 and I would be hype AF!!!!

Once was enough.

I'm from Syracuse, not an alum. I also love history.

But I also don't see the value in wanting someone to be a stand in for some ideal from long ago. Let the guy be who he wants to be.
I'm not an alum either. Your opinion is exactly the difference between our fanbase and those of the fanbases I was referencing. For those, even the casuals celebrate and revere their history. For ours, its a collective shrug even from some diehards.

I'm not sure how a number stops someone from being who they want to be. It's not like it determines their running style or body type. Even the three guys that made it famous were very different people.

If we had other established traditions, we could lean on those and losing 44 wouldn't matter as much. As it is, we pretty much don't have any.

And off to the league he'd probably go ... But I'd enjoy every bit of it

I imagine he will be close to 500 yards through first four games this year. I also won't be surprised if he eclipses 200 in a game this year.
Is he gonna change the NFL 3 year rule?

name all the numbers that schools have as a iconic one that people know other than the ones at their own school.
Is that relevant? Many traditions are only known by a school's own fanbase. I never knew about the eagle flying around Jordan Hare stadium until my wife, an Auburn alum, told be about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom