So Indiana may want Allen Griffin as an assistant coach | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So Indiana may want Allen Griffin as an assistant coach

Here are the IU base salaries for fiscal year 2019 fwiw

Basketball
Archie Miller, head coach: $550,000
Associate head coach Tom Ostrom: $316,575
Assistant coach Bruiser Flint: $301,500
Assistant coach: Ed Schilling: $301,500
What was SU's?

Basketball
What’s the total compensation though? There’s no way Archie Miller is only being paid $550K to be the head coach of Indiana basketball.

He also just bought a house in Syracuse literally like a week ago!
I’d be shocked if Griffin left. He’s an alum who loves the school and JB, and Syracuse is a top 10 program. Plus he has great connections on the East Coast and it’s easy to travel to all the recruiting hotbeds from Syracuse. Unless he got some kind of crazy raise that SU couldn’t match, I don’t see it.

What’s the total compensation though? There’s no way Archie Miller is only being paid $550K to be the head coach of Indiana basketball.

You are correct of course. Archie made $3.2 million. Couldn't find anything as far as the incentives for the assistants. I would imagine they might have some, but certainly not to the extent of Archie.

So Griffin is going to leave Illinois to get closer to home in syracuse and then transfer again to Indiana?
tenor.gif

Basketball
So Allen would not be the top assistant.

I know Allen was able to tolerate being living in Dayton but I have been to Indiana. It is great for someone who loves corn fields and scarecrows. For someone who grew up in NYC, it is not a good place to live.

Unless he REALLY loves corn on the cob, I do not recommend this move for him.

Basketball
Base without easily reached insensitive...the politics of coaches being the highest paid state employees...unless you a Nick Saban

Edit: This went over very poorly both with politicians and the alumi. It the height of the financial crisis and was viewed as completely tone deaf.

Last edited:

Basketball
I think this would be a good move for him, if he's the number 2 guy. Probably a pay raise. Big 10. If I were him, I would take it if offered.

But he's replacing Bruiser Flint? Wasn't he kind of a suspicious character in recruiting ... ?
Would Allen be trained to be one of those guys?

JB isn’t gonna let Griff walk away, I can’t tell you that.

But if Griffen does leave, we should go outside the program and look for a coach that can recruit. I wouldn’t even know who to look at this stage of the game and with everything going on with the pandemic. I’m sure JB has a very short list and he obviously has lots of connections so I’m sure the hire will be good regardless.

I already know 2 names will be floated on this board. Devo and Blackwell, love them both, great guys. Short answer, No.
Harried. (If an SU guy)

I realize HIS career is about YOUR OR OUR personal needs, but I hope he doesn't see it that way...
I really don't get this reply. Briancuse seemed to indicate that SU should do what they need to to keep him here, not that he has no right to look elsewhere. At least that's how I read it.

I really don't get this reply. Briancuse seemed to indicate that SU should do what they need to to keep him here, not that he has no right to look elsewhere. At least that's how I read it.
I never said he didn't have a right to look of course he does just like jb and su have a right to do everything they can to keep him.

Red will be the next head coach. Griff should sit tight.

Red will be the next head coach. Griff should sit tight.

No he won't.

The AD is not going to be bound by the artificial constraint of artificially limiting his search to "in house" candidates. That doesn't mean that he won't be considered, but it is highly doubtful that compared to the candidates that emerge from a search conducted with actual due diligence that he would be the best candidate or the most qualified. Literally, the only factor in his favor would be that he is in-house -- which is NOT the evaluative criteria that should be emphasized.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom