So Indiana may want Allen Griffin as an assistant coach | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

So Indiana may want Allen Griffin as an assistant coach

No he won't.

The AD is not going to be bound by the artificial constraint of artificially limiting his search to "in house" candidates. That doesn't mean that he won't be considered, but it is highly doubtful that compared to the candidates that emerge from a search conducted with actual due diligence that he would be the best candidate or the most qualified. Literally, the only factor in his favor would be that he is in-house -- which is NOT the evaluative criteria that should be emphasized.
Really? That’s the ONLY factor? What a complete and total put down on a very capable and popular candidate.

So Allen would not be the top assistant.

I know Allen was able to tolerate being living in Dayton but I have been to Indiana. It is great for someone who loves corn fields and scarecrows. For someone who grew up in NYC, it is not a good place to live.

Unless he REALLY loves corn on the cob, I do not recommend this move for him.
That hurts Tom haha.

I can say as a resident of Bloomington, this town is awesome. It's a beautiful and safe town with lots of fun things to do and amazing Virginia like weather. Lots of beautiful limestone formations (Breaking Away was filmed in brown for instance).

I came here as a 2 year experiment and 17 years later...

That hurts Tom haha.

I can say as a resident of Bloomington, this town is awesome. It's a beautiful and safe town with lots of fun things to do and amazing Virginia like weather. Lots of beautiful limestone formations (Breaking Away was filmed in brown for instance).

But don’t you miss the pee troughs!?!?

Really? That’s the ONLY factor? What a complete and total put down on a very capable and popular candidate.

The only factor that he would have over other established head coaches with proven track records of success -- yes.

Not a put down at all -- rather, an objective comparison relative to the qualifications of other candidates who will likely be considered. This is not a "starter" job -- Syracuse should get the best candidate that they can to fill JB's enormous shoes when the time comes. Period. And on the list of evaluative criteria that will be weighed, having previous ties to the program should be far down the list.

That hurts Tom haha.

I am sure it is nice there. Honestly, all I have seen of Indiana is what is on the roads from Chicago to West Lafayette and South Bend. Basically scary Gary and corn.

But you probably didn't grow up in Brooklyn like Griff did. Not sure the Indiana environment is a great fit for him. If he elects to go, I wish him the best. Griff is a great guy and if he can get a big raise and likes the new digs, I am happy for him.

The only factor that he would have over other established head coaches with proven track records of success -- yes.

Not a put down at all -- rather, an objective comparison relative to the qualifications of other candidates who will likely be considered. This is not a "starter" job -- Syracuse should get the best candidate that they can to fill JB's enormous shoes when the time comes. Period. And on the list of evaluative criteria that will be weighed, having previous ties to the program should be far down the list.

Agree with this 144%.

When/if the time comes (JB may just outlive us all ;) ), John Wildhack (or his successor) and the Athletic Department should do a comprehensive, National coaching search.

I’m sure guys like Hop & Red will make the list, and be some of the very first calls made.

That said, being a former Orange player and/or coach should NOT be the deciding factor in who the next coach will be.
It is unnecessarily limiting.

IF Hop or Red (or Buddy ;) ) is eventually chosen as the next coach, then great!
But only if they were the absolute best available option, not simply the best former Orange option.

Agree with this 144%.

When/if the time comes (JB may just outlive us all ;) ), John Wildhack (or his successor) and the Athletic Department should do a comprehensive, National coaching search.

I’m sure guys like Hop & Red will make the list, and be some of the very first calls made.

That said, being a former Orange player and/or coach should NOT be the deciding factor in who the next coach will be.

IF Hop or Red (or Buddy ;) ) is eventually chosen as the next coach, then great!
But only if they were the absolute best available option, not simply the best former Orange option.

Great post.

If he leaves, Boeheim needs to go outside of the program and get a proven recruiter to bolster what they're doing.

I say that every time someone leaves. Never happens. But not sure who is there in the pipeline aside from Devendorf. I just want a dedicated big man coach from outside the Syracuse family.

I don't think Griffin is leaving. But if he did, I would like to look at a non-alum for his spot.

I say that every time someone leaves. Never happens. But not sure who is there in the pipeline aside from Devendorf. I just want a dedicated big man coach from outside the Syracuse family.
I think Devo should be on the staff just to teach all of our guards how to attack the basket and finish like a boss with the left hand.

FWIW. from my source...Griff is considering it but far from a done deal or packing his bags. It's more money but Syracuse is home. Weighing his options. And none of the coaches are worried about the next coach coming in. When JB hangs it up and say they hire from the outside, they are going to have to keep the assistants to keep the current players on roster (especially since our assistants do the heavy recruiting). JW doesn't want a mass exodus of players when that time comes."
AGAIN FWIW, take it with a grain of salt

Agree with this 144%.

Thank you. I get the sentimental side of sports, but I want to win with whatever option can do that best, SU alum or not.

Agree with this 144%.

This is a good post about process, but in the end, the arrow will point toward a SU alum: Hopkins (unlikely, but far from zero) or Autry.

This is a good post about process, but in the end, the arrow will point toward a SU alum: Hopkins (unlikely, but far from zero) or Autry.

Why? What incentive would the new AD have to delimit the candidate pool or prospective options in that way? That would be borderline negligent.

Why? What incentive would the new AD have to delimit the candidate pool or prospective options in that way? That would be borderline negligent.
There are a number of reasons it’ll end up on Autry, some with a greater affect than others: not many obvious young up-and-coming candidates (if Nate Oats is the best, CBB is in trouble), Autry is ready, Wildhack will want significant say/level of control (he’s human), sentiment for continuity/would be a poor look for SU to bypass Autry, less change for top-level boosters to absorb/process, established “policy” of reluctance to pay top dollar for coaches (SU is conservative with its spending), Boeheim will bless his candidacy and be available for tutelage, taking the internal candidate worked WONDERFULLY last time.

Hopkins will have first dibs, but in the end, Autry will get the well-deserved nod.

There are a number of reasons it’ll end up on Autry, some with a greater affect than others: not many obvious young up-and-coming candidates (if Nate Oats is the best, CBB is in trouble), Autry is ready, Wildhack will want significant say/level of control (he’s human), sentiment for continuity/would be a poor look for SU to bypass Autry, less change for top-level boosters to absorb/process, established “policy” of reluctance to pay top dollar for coaches (SU is conservative with its spending), Boeheim will bless his candidacy and be available for tutelage, taking the internal candidate worked WONDERFULLY last time.

Hopkins will have first dibs, but in the end, Autry will get the well-deserved nod.
So... just a guess on your part?

That's fine, so let's not pretend it's anything more than that. And I think you're completely wrong about the candidate pool wildhack will select from.

Scott Shafer begs to differ with how “wonderfully” taking the internal candidate worked out last time. :rolleyes:

Oh, you mean for hoops?

Well sure - but 8-tracks and transistor radios also “worked wonderfully” back then too. :p

Only way Autry gets the HC gig is...we don't want to pay market price for a top 15 coach...especially what the pandemic might do to Athletic departments and budgets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom