So let's say Marrone cuts loose on the sideline | Syracusefan.com

So let's say Marrone cuts loose on the sideline

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Drops his stoic look and lets all the emotion that he claims is rolling around inside him bust out during games on the side line.

What's the consequence? What's the worst that happens?

These are sincere questions. I don't want to reopen the Marrone demeanor can of worms again, but I was thinking about it and wondered exactly what kind of apocalyptic result would come if Marrone allowed himself to loosen up a little bit.

Who really cares? Why do people thing that ranting and raving on the sidelines will solve any of our issues. Wow, this is beyond ridiculous. I have sat behing the bench for some time now, Marrone's demeanor has no impact... He is who he is

Who really cares? Why do people thing that ranting and raving on the sidelines will solve any of our issues. Wow, this is beyond ridiculous. I have sat behing the bench for some time now, Marrone's demeanor has no impact... He is who he is

Maybe we just need to find out where Dougie keeps his stash of Snickers. ;)

I think we would be looking at a Kevin Bacon-esque performance if he cut loose. And I'm pretty sure no one would want to see that.

I think we would be looking at a Kevin Bacon-esque performance if he cut loose. And I'm pretty sure no one would want to see that.

You underestimate my wants.

I care, IB.

I care.

Rather than sitting on the sideline with his best DERP face, I could see some benefit if Marrone light up a player after his third boneheaded off-sides penalty...or maybe after their umpteenth dropped pass.

I know Doug said his stoic demeanor is to protect the players and not humiliate them publicly. Quit being their friend. Be their coach. Maybe some of his emotion could spread to the players...

Rather than sitting on the sideline with his best DERP face, I could see some benefit if Marrone light up a player after his third boneheaded off-sides penalty...or maybe after their umpteenth dropped pass.

Mike Hay. Rutgers game 2010.

Hay got flagged for a personal foul (shocker). Marrone pulled him, sat him down, and SCREAMED at him. There was a Rutgers player down, so enough time elapsed that Hay was back in the game on the next play.

It has been done.

He has lost it on the sidelines before.
Quit being their friend. Be their coach. Maybe some of his emotion could spread to the players...

How is he being their friend? Is he doing a happy dance after the team converts a 4th and 1? Is he stuffing a beaver puppet in someone's face?

Or would you prefer Marrone go Brian Kelly and turn purple every time he interacts with a player because he is so angry?

There are different styles of management. Some people are screamers. Some are jokers. Some let their people do their jobs, come hell or high water. Marrone does what he thinks is right- He's coaching his way.

Dave Rahme indicated Marrone is much more emotional outside of game day. According to DR, Marrone wants his players to stay composed and focused. Therefore, HCDM leads by example.

Mike Hay. Rutgers game 2010.

Hay got flagged for a personal foul (shocker). Marrone pulled him, sat him down, and SCREAMED at him. There was a Rutgers player down, so enough time elapsed that Hay was back in the game on the next play.

It has been done.

He has lost it on the sidelines before.

How is he being their friend? Is he doing a happy dance after the team converts a 4th and 1? Is he stuffing a beaver puppet in someone's face?

Or would you prefer Marrone go Brian Kelly and turn purple every time he interacts with a player because he is so angry?

There are different styles of management. Some people are screamers. Some are jokers. Some let their people do their jobs, come hell or high water. Marrone does what he thinks is right- He's coaching his way.

Dave Rahme indicated Marrone is much more emotional outside of game day. According to DR, Marrone wants his players to stay composed and focused. Therefore, HCDM leads by example.

Your points are valid but when your 0-8 against real teams its time to do and try different things. I dont think anyone is looking for Brian Kelly reactions on every bad play but the deer in the headlights look and shoulder shrug for 60 minutes isnt getting it done. Maybe getting upset or animated wont change anything but at this point Id rather see some fire from him before its to late and its nearly to late.

Your points are valid but when your 0-8 against real teams its time to do and try different things. I dont think anyone is looking for Brian Kelly reactions on every bad play but the deer in the headlights look and shoulder shrug for 60 minutes isnt getting it done. Maybe getting upset or animated wont change anything but at this point Id rather see some fire from him before its to late and its nearly to late.
Well said.

I understand that. I'm suggesting that maybe once in a while you can increase composure and focus by a demonstration of a loss of composure and focus, and I think that's worth Marrone giving it a shot, seeing us how we're mired in a losing streak against comparable opponents and we're 40+ games in and on the wrong side of .500.

Drops his stoic look and lets all the emotion that he claims is rolling around inside him bust out during games on the side line.

What's the consequence? What's the worst that happens?

These are sincere questions. I don't want to reopen the Marrone demeanor can of worms again, but I was thinking about it and wondered exactly what kind of apocalyptic result would come if Marrone allowed himself to loosen up a little bit.

I was one who laughed at whichever post tried to rate Marrone's "sideline demeanor" two or three years ago.

At the time I felt that maintaining composure was the way to best lead the team.

And, I found it somewhat disconcerting when I watched Brian Kelly just chew players while they came off the field after having made mistakes.

I have to admit, however, that during the Minnesota game after the umpteenth turnover, I wanted Marrone to really lay into the particular culprit - make the guy pay a price for a bad mistake - embarrass the guy a bit - make the turnover a truly traumatic thing.

After watching Brian Kelly toughen up the Irish, and after thinking about other coaches who yell at mistakes, I have come around a bit on this issue.

I am tired of the mistakes and I want the kids to be held accountable right then and there in front of everybody.

I know Doug said his stoic demeanor is to protect the players and not humiliate them publicly. Quit being their friend. Be their coach. Maybe some of his emotion could spread to the players...

This is funny... "quit being their friend" Please. what planet are you from?

I was one who laughed at whichever post tried to rate Marrone's "sideline demeanor" two or three years ago.

At the time I felt that maintaining composure was the way to best lead the team.

And, I found it somewhat disconcerting when I watched Brian Kelly just chew players while they came off the field after having made mistakes.

I have to admit, however, that during the Minnesota game after the umpteenth turnover, I wanted Marrone to really lay into the particular culprit - make the guy pay a price for a bad mistake - embarrass the guy a bit - make the turnover a truly traumatic thing.

After watching Brian Kelly toughen up the Irish, and after thinking about other coaches who yell at mistakes, I have come around a bit on this issue.

Doubt this (going ballastic after a bad mistake) will help much. It is like Boeheim chewing someone out, while play continues -- part of JB's personality, but not his best quality. Good thing JB does so many other things well.

I'd like to see more examples of positive energy from our head football coach, motivating the next series of plays (rather than chewing about a poor punt or movement in the OL). Maybe Doug gives a great pre-game talk? Maybe he wants his assistant coaches to provide the positive energy? I have to admit that when I watch other games I pay attention to the energy and engagement shown by head coaches. Hard to draw any correlations, but our guy is at one end of the spectrum.

Doubt this (going ballastic after a bad mistake) will help much. It is like Boeheim chewing someone out, while play continues -- part of JB's personality, but not his best quality. Good thing JB does so many other things well.

I'd like to see more examples of positive energy from our head football coach, motivating the next series of plays (rather than chewing about a poor punt or movement in the OL). Maybe Doug gives a great pre-game talk? Maybe he wants his assistant coaches to provide the positive energy? I have to admit that when I watch other games I pay attention to the energy and engagement shown by head coaches. Hard to draw any correlations, but our guy is at one end of the spectrum.

Yes, I agree.

But I have to tell you - the other night I was so ticked off after the fourth TO, that I wanted somebody's butt chewed out badly.

I hope it happens in practice because it has to stop now.

worst post ever and im sick of this discussion. do people want schiano and brian kelly on the sidelines? showing emotion has nothing to do with ouput. Are people that bored that this is a serious discussion?

I am sorry...but I grew up in a society that actually cared about success...and failure although tolerated did not necessarily get a smile and hand clap. I remember when I ran track and finished 4th out of 60 in NYS sectionals I did not get a ribbon...why would I want someone who finished 26th, or 40th to feel that they succeeded. We already pass kids in school that have no right being promoted to next grade...we even have given them an extra 250 points on the SATs but still consider a score of 1200 good...c'mon, even JB yells, so does nearly every football coach I have ever seen on the field...M's demeanor of a smirk and playing it low key does nothing for building enthusiasm for the kids..."oh i made a mistake and dropped the ball, or committed two offsides...well gee, at least I dont get yelled at...give me a break (SORRY FOR THIS NOW I AM GOING BACK TO MY JACK AND COKE)...if the coach has no outward fire dont expect the team to either--maybe that is why we have so little enthusiasm and hell to pay in the opening half...hear it now from M: okay guys go play your best...if you make a mistake its okay...winning isnt everything...in fact its nothing! Yikes, what have we come down to?
Sometimes, you just need to get someone's attention...being nice and friendly is not necessarily the only way it goes...sometimes being the parent means telling it like really is...in the corporate world many of us make mistakes...but each mistake we make leaves an impression that if mistakes continue you no longer have a job...so do I condone yelling no...but I do not condone acting in the same soft, balanced manner all the time...there is no way for the one getting the message to clearly differentiate that's good from that's not going to work in the same tone of voice and facial expression.

Yes, I agree.

But I have to tell you - the other night I was so ticked off after the fourth TO, that I wanted somebody's butt chewed out badly.

I hope it happens in practice because it has to stop now.

hmmmm, JB is a Hall of Fame Coach...so is that guy from Indiana...Bobby Knight...so is that coach at Alabama...or Louisville...or your boss at work...c'mon if emotion doesnt play any role in what is done that we can all be robots! I firmly believe JB straightened out Waiters...brings out best in players...a pat on the back and a kick in the ass is not a bad thing...

Here we go.

Are you a baby boomer, by chance?

Because that generation is just so AWESOME!

:bang:

:blah:yup i am...and my kids have done just fine and so has my company...and when i donate to 'Cuse it is as much for the academic talent as the athletic teams...but I would give so much more to a JB cause than a M cause because I see his heart in it...a wry smile, a smirk...doesnt say anything good to me...but thanks for saying the babyboomer generation was so good...it still is and we are waiting for the following generations to pick up the slack...and have you ever heard an athlete say his constant telling me my mistakes were okay led me to greatness...????probably not!

:blah:yup i am...and my kids have done just fine and so has my company...and when i donate to 'Cuse it is as much for the academic talent as the athletic teams...but I would give so much more to a JB cause than a M cause because I see his heart in it...a wry smile, a smirk...doesnt say anything good to me...but thanks for saying the babyboomer generation was so good...it still is and we are waiting for the following generations to pick up the slack...and have you ever heard an athlete say his constant telling me my mistakes were okay led me to greatness...????probably not!

I figured.

Thanks for the soul-crushing debt. I'll think of your generation fondly when I drop dead on the job when I'm 85.

:)