So long, it's been good to know you | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So long, it's been good to know you

Stay in school and play bball as a side job (unless you go to UNC or Kentucky) or play in the D-league as a full time job and get paid. I don't know about everyone else but that's an easy decision for 19-20 year old.

Damian Lillard and Buddy Hield disagree. If you are good, the NBA will find you.

To be fair, Lillard didn't come out before then because nobody knew who he was. Buddy had some draft buzz, but that's definitely an example where returning for one more year paid off.

Hak was a guy where there was some discussion of him leaving early. I don't know how realistic it was but I recall it being out there.

Hak was a guy where there was some discussion of him leaving early. I don't know how realistic it was but I recall it being out there.

Enough where it was a legit news story when he announced his return.

Well. I guess I'm convinced.

Then why do guys at other schools come back? Grayson Allen could have been a top 20 pick last year, he came back, same with Ivan Rabb.

Then why do guys at other schools come back? Grayson Allen could have been a top 20 pick last year, he came back, same with Ivan Rabb.

Yes. And both of those guys absolutely should have left last year.

Rabb was going to be a lottery pick last year. Now he's right around where Lydon is projected. He's on the Marcus Smart/Melo Trimble trajectory.

Stay in school and play bball as a side job (unless you go to UNC or Kentucky) or play in the D-league as a full time job and get paid. I don't know about everyone else but that's an easy decision for 19-20 year old.

There's a huge difference in being drafted in the first round and assigned to the D-League, but still making that NBA contract money, or making the D-League salary of 25K or whatever it is now.

Also, the arenas and facilities in the D-League aren't that great, and you're playing in front of a couple thousand people - if that. The trade off is that you can devote more time to getting better quicker, and you can work more directly with NBA people.

At least one every year from 2008 to 2017 except for 2011?! That's pretty crazy. The only person to come back after serious speculation was CJ. Crazy.

At least one every year from 2008 to 2017 except for 2011?! That's pretty crazy. The only person to come back after serious speculation was CJ. Crazy.

And the year we had our best record ever was the year everybody came back.

If you're trying to make an argument that it is better for your NBA prospects to stay in school, this is a really, really poor example. Both of these guys would have been much better served to leave last year and get drafted higher. Their value has dropped considerably.

It's funny that Jerami was so clearly a winner in his choice when he was the lowest draft choice of all these.

The outcome has so much to do with luck, and getting an opportunity to prove yourself.

Also, I've wondered whether SU players are more likely to leave earlier than other places, but my guess is probably not.
Yes, much of it does come down to luck, as you can't forsee which team will draft you. The same guy who is drafted into a favorable situation where he can see the floor quickly and/or be developed gradually into a steady contributor might flame out in a less favorable situation.

The D league, gettin paid and no funky 2oo level courses to attend, just shoot and practice and play all day long. The NBA dream lives on. Nirvana.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom