So much for Continuity... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So much for Continuity...

Oh good lord, I don't think anybody is about to jump out the window. But if you don't think its fair to question the hire because he knocked your socks off on Friday afternoon with his rhetoric, then I guess Shafe did his job, didn't he?

Four years of solid D is enough for me. Presser was icing.

Wheatley leaving is hardly a surprise. The minute Marrone took the Buffalo job, I figured he'd take Hackett, Wheatley and Moore. Maybe Henderson, too.

It is what it is.

The negatives are adding up and that's almost always a bad sign.

I know everyone loved the presser, but when he started talking about taking extra time to find an OC that fits perfectly...it just seemed very defensive to me. I hope it's someone currently in the playoffs, but color me skeptical.

So the argument is that we should have done a methodical search for a head coach, but rush the hiring of an OC?

So the argument is that we should have done a methodical search for a head coach, but rush the hiring of an OC?

Hilarious, right?

Stop thinking logically!

The negatives are adding up and that's almost always a bad sign.

I know everyone loved the presser, but when he started talking about taking extra time to find an OC that fits perfectly...it just seemed very defensive to me. I hope it's someone currently in the playoffs, but color me skeptical.
Stop trying to read into every comment, tweet, etc.

Ten days ago Shafer probably had no idea that he'd be the HC responsible for hiring coordinators. It takes weeks/months for an IBM regional sales manager (with the help of multiple internal HR people and external recruiters) to hire a new salesperson but it should take Shafer days to fill one of the two most important hires of his career?

Who said that? I'm assuming you're not referring to me because if so I'll simply chalk it up as a reading comprehension issue on your end.

show me an outside candidate that has more experience at being HC that was realistic

Go to the "What stinks the most" thread and someone came up with about 10 of them that were/are currently available and it was laughable. None of them would have been hired here and if so, fans, supporters and alum would have run TGD out of town.

I blasted holes through every suggestion.

No one should be surprised any of these guys are leaving.

No one should be surprised any of these guys are leaving.

Doesn't mean it is OK. Or that we shouldnt be worried about the direction of our offense and our recruiting.

I blasted holes through every suggestion.

And you're more qualified than anyone to do so? And I don't even remember the list, just sayin.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Doesn't mean it is OK. Or that we shouldnt be worried about the direction of our offense and our recruiting.
I agree. just saying it shouldn't be a shock. The continuity BS was a line from TGD meant to buy Shafer so more time to keep the class together. Obviously the cats outta the bag.

I already said this in another thread so I'll copy and paste it here:

Continuity is more than just keeping recruits and assistants. We know philosophy isn't going to change. The players know the way practices run will stay largely the same. The defense should be nearly the same, and that's important since we were going to have an abundance of change with personnel on offense. I'm sure Shafer has some established relationships with highschool coaches and future recruits that would have to be reestablished with a completely new staff. That's important since recruiting for us is a multi-year process, and I'm sure the process of scouting and making contacts for 2014 and 2015 was already underway.

Who said that? I'm assuming you're not referring to me because if so I'll simply chalk it up as a reading comprehension issue on your end.

It was a general comment on the various contradictions and meltdowns going on all over the board. As for my reading comprehension levels, I have not had them checked since the Iowa tests back in elementary school, but they seem to be holding up pretty well.

You would hope the process to hire a head coach would be longer than the process to hire the OC and staff. In general you would think that the new HC would have his staff all lined up or had an idea of what way he wanted to go and get it done fast so the program can move on.

I already said this in another thread so I'll copy and paste it here:

Continuity is more than just keeping recruits and assistants. We know philosophy isn't going to change. The players know the way practices run will stay largely the same. The defense should be nearly the same, and that's important since we were going to have an abundance of change with personnel on offense. I'm sure Shafer has some established relationships with highschool coaches and future recruits that would have to be reestablished with a completely new staff. That's important since recruiting for us is a multi-year process, and I'm sure the process of scouting and making contacts for 2014 and 2015 was already underway.
How do we know the offensive philosophy won't change at this point? If they miss on all the spread/k gun coaches and we are left with a lifetime RB coach are we going to keep the same offensive philosophy? If Anselmo (stays?) is our only connection to the NYC area are we still going to keep that area as a recruiting focal point?

At this point we shouldn't be surprised by any change.

You would hope the process to hire a head coach would be longer than the process to hire the OC and staff. In general you would think that the new HC would have his staff all lined up or had an idea of what way he wanted to go and get it done fast so the program can move on.

in normal situations yes but this late in the game you cant always get who you want

Well, as long as we can hold on to the Fine tailgate crew I think we'll be ok. However, if I see that Cuseregular and others move to Buffalo I'm going to be really pissed.

In a nut shell, this was the purpose of my original post. The initial Shafer hire was sold as continuity, a business as usual type of approach. Since then, half of our staff has left, recruits have left and/or are wavering, and no one who ran last year's offense will be around to ensure it continues to hum. So clearly, it didn't materialize as was sold. I don't think its at all unfair to be concerned whether or not we have truly continued on the same course we were pre-Marrone's departure (specifically the offensive scheme and recruiting).

And for those that think this is a meltdown, its really not at all that dramatic. Some on this board seem to have trouble deciphering valid criticism and/or concern with meltdown mode.

Well, as long as we can hold on to the Fine tailgate crew I think we'll be ok. However, if I see that Cuseregular and others move to Buffalo I'm going to be really pissed.
LOL, yep if I don't see all the warring factions hoisting a beer or two in early sept. then we can all start REALLY worrying.

Life goes on, program will be just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom