So much for the conference of champions | Syracusefan.com

So much for the conference of champions

i'm enjoying this as much as anyone, but their athletic programs are immense & impressive. if the pac 12 schools were their own olympic nation, they would be 3rd all time in total medals won.

It’s impressive that they haven’t won a national title since 1997. Really have to try and accomplish that IMO.

Since 2000.
The NC has only come from the ACC, Big East, SEC, Big XII and the Big East players playing in the American.

Can a confrence be demoted to mid major status? Because, if so, the Pac 12 should be nervous.

How can the entire west coast of our country be so bad for so long? Hopkins is going to absolutely clean up out there once he gets the ball rollong at Washington.

I LOVE Walton but he needs to give it a rest with the “conference of champions” business.
Why? It's a schtick. It's fun.
Wanna know the misnomer in sports... that the Giants and Jets are NY teams.
The folks who root for the because they are NY teams need geography lessons.

Since 2000.
The NC has only come from the ACC, Big East, SEC, Big XII and the Big East players playing in the American.
there was an article on Yahoo awhile a couple days ago on how the top seven conferences (Power Five, Big East, American) are eating up almost all the At Large bids. I don't know if it would influence which conferences end up with the NC, but I would like to see something to get smaller conferences more At Large bids.

there was an article on Yahoo awhile a couple days ago on how the top seven conferences (Power Five, Big East, American) are eating up almost all the At Large bids. I don't know if it would influence which conferences end up with the NC, but I would like to see something to get smaller conferences more At Large bids.
I don't want to see more slaughters. I think that every team in the tourney should have a shot at winning it, so I'm against quota games, and I'm against including teams w/o top level wins.

For instance, I would have put last year's SU team in the tourney.

i'm enjoying this as much as anyone, but their athletic programs are immense & impressive. if the pac 12 schools were their own olympic nation, they would be 3rd all time in total medals won.
Yeah, their swimming, track, volleyball, and water polo programs clean up.

But a killer water polo program and $2 will still leave you w/ too much debt to buy coffee.

Nobody should be surprised that the P-12 went down in flames. They were a weak league from start to finish and it's kind of amazing that the Committee invited a team that went 8-11 in that league.

Closer to home, the ACC didn't exactly come flyin' out of the gate yesterday either. Will be interesting to see how they perform today although most are favored other than SU.

I don't want to see more slaughters. I think that every team in the tourney should have a shot at winning it, so I'm against quota games, and I'm against including teams w/o top level wins.

For instance, I would have put last year's SU team in the tourney.
Yeah, I'm not sure quotas is the answer. I think part of the problem is that the teams from the smaller conferences get so few chances to get quality wins. This will get even harder as the Big Ten and ACC increase their in-conference schedule. I would like to see a Champions League style tournament where the the Regular Season Conference champs from the year before compete. I think this would give them the chance to establish themselves.

Also, I've always felt that inclusion to the tournament should be based on whether or not you had a successful season, not your talent level.

Last edited:

Well aware thanks being that I AM a Trojan and do enjoy Walton.

That's great and all but their Commissioner is on the hot seat because they're bleeding money as the revenue sports (CFB & MCBB) are falling apart.

Nobody should be surprised that the P-12 went down in flames. They were a weak league from start to finish and it's kind of amazing that the Committee invited a team that went 8-11 in that league.

Closer to home, the ACC didn't exactly come flyin' out of the gate yesterday either. Will be interesting to see how they perform today although most are favored other than SU.
Cuse is a toss up.

I think UNC, UVA and Clemson win.

FSU is an auto-L like the 3 ACC schools that lost yesterday.

Cuse is a toss up.

I think UNC, UVA and Clemson win.

FSU is an auto-L like the 3 ACC schools that lost yesterday.

When you say toss-up I just want to point out we're a four point dog. I was talking about the betting lines.

Agreed.
Its like that tongue-in-cheek saying that Sean McDonough likes to throw out: "Syracuse University- the HARVARD of UpState NY"!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom