So should the BIG12 be nervous now? | Syracusefan.com

So should the BIG12 be nervous now?

AirForceOrange

Hall of Fame
Not much left in the Big East. No one is leaving the ACC now. You know the SEC, B10 and PAC12 are all stable. That leaves the BIG12 schools to get picked off by the other three (not ACC). I think think that the ACC is now one of the Big 4 and bumped the BIG12 to #5. So, with the the playoffs being 4 teams (conferences) that leaves the BIG12 out.

Just wondering what others think about this scenario...

ND joining sans football has done nothing to move the ACC ahead of the B12 because where it matters (results on the field) they are currently better than the ACC is. Hopefully that changes starting this year.

In regards to long term stability the B12 is only as stable as Texas wants it to be. Other than B12 fanboys I don't know anyone that sees Texas in the B12 long term. They will eventually jump to the PAC12 or Big10 and take OU with them. At that point the B12 becomes a Midwest version of the BE.

Not much left in the Big East. No one is leaving the ACC now. You know the SEC, B10 and PAC12 are all stable. That leaves the BIG12 schools to get picked off by the other three (not ACC). I think think that the ACC is now one of the Big 4 and bumped the BIG12 to #5. So, with the the playoffs being 4 teams (conferences) that leaves the BIG12 out.

Just wondering what others think about this scenario...

Yes. Especially those that like to travel to State College. I have said all along that the ACC is going to pitch ND and PSU for an all eastern sports conference. While ND is in the midwest, they do have a ton of fans along the northeast corridor. ND's response had to be "We'll commit everything else besides football. If you get PSU, maybe we'll join for football too." (ie if the NBC contract runs out)

12 months ago I would have never said PSU leaves the Big 10. Now...?

ND joining sans football has done nothing to move the ACC ahead of the B12 because where it matters (results on the field) they are currently better than the ACC is. Hopefully that changes starting this year.

In regards to long term stability the B12 is only as stable as Texas wants it to be. Other than B12 fanboys I don't know anyone that sees Texas in the B12 long term. They will eventually jump to the PAC12 or Big10 and take OU with them. At that point the B12 becomes a Midwest version of the BE.
EXACTLY! THIS is why I was never afraid of the Big XII.

Yes. Especially those that like to travel to State College. I have said all along that the ACC is going to pitch ND and PSU for an all eastern sports conference. While ND is in the midwest, they do have a ton of fans along the northeast corridor. ND's response had to be "We'll commit everything else besides football. If you get PSU, maybe we'll join for football too." (ie if the NBC contract runs out)

12 months ago I would have never said PSU leaves the Big 10. Now...?
PSU will never leave the B1G. Let me rephrase that, PSU will never even come close to even thinking about leaving the B1G.

If the Big XII wanted to get to 12 teams they could pick from Boise State, Brigham Young University, Louisville, and Cinncinati. So the Big XII isn't nervous they signed a 2.6 BILLION dollar contract with FOX, and ESPN. Notre Dame doesn't have that many alumni in the Southwest/Mid-West compared to the East Coast that is why they choose the ACC over the Big XII. Once the BCS conferences agreed the 4-team playoff teams didn't have to be Conference champs it ensured that the SEC will probably get multiple teams and all other conferences B1G, Pac-12, Big XII,ACC were secondary to the SEC.

Exactly! As long as Texas wants the Big 12 to stay in business, they stay in business. Once Texas has their fill, they grab OU, then two of TTech, OSU, Kansas and ISU and head to the Pac 12 or just OU and go to the B1G. Should Texas decide to split with OU, then OU can go to the SEC sans OSU. Regardless, even with FSU and Clemson, the Big 12 would remain stable only as long as Texas wanted it to.

It's amazing that people conveniently forget that Arkansas, Nebraska, Colorado, TAMU and Mizzou all wanted out from under Texas' shadow and yet believe that their school is the one school that Texas will refuse to leave. If there is such a school, it is OU and none other, but they have only been conference mates less than 20 years, that game would probably remain even if OU got left behind.

If the Big XII wanted to get to 12 teams they could pick from Boise State, Brigham Young University, Louisville, and Cinncinati. So the Big XII isn't nervous they signed a 2.6 BILLION dollar contract with FOX, and ESPN. Notre Dame doesn't have that many alumni in the Southwest/Mid-West compared to the East Coast that is why they choose the ACC over the Big XII. Once the BCS conferences agreed the 4-team playoff teams didn't have to be Conference champs it ensured that the SEC will probably get multiple teams and all other conferences B1G, Pac-12, Big XII,ACC were secondary to the SEC.

BYU and Louisville would be their best additions. I wonder if BYU will go, though.

BYU and Louisville are the best additions for product on the field but neither of them are going to increase the payout. With ND and FSU off the table the B12 has no reason to expand and dilute the amount each team makes.

Why would Texas leave a major conference where they call the shots? They are the premier team in a conference that has top privilege status. The other conferences would provide too much competition for attention.

Bottom line: Texas is top dog in the Big12, & they are going NOWHERE else...

I think the ACC is very stable now. FSU and Clemson can now be placated by a visit from ND every now and then. Also, didn't the exit fee go up?

As far as the B12, hasn't there been speculation about OU and Kansas joining the B10? Then Texas would pick between the PAC12 or ACC. Word in Austin is that if that was the choice, Texas would prefer the ACC because it's only one time zone away vs. the PAC12 which is two time zones away and would have a bigger impact on game times and TV.

PSU will never leave the B1G. Let me rephrase that, PSU will never even come close to even thinking about leaving the B1G.
Agreed.

I think they are ear marking most of their money for a more pressing matter than conference buyouts.

Greater chance of Rutgers joining the B1G than Penn State ever leaving for the ACC. Just my opinion. And what would that mean for UConn? Who knows.

I don't think anyone who is part of one of the 5 power conferences has anything to worry about. They're all strong enough, secure enough. None of them needs to do anything at this point.

If I wasn't in one of those 5 conferences, I'd have plenty to worry about. But thankfully, I am.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom