So the mid-majors | Syracusefan.com

So the mid-majors

PhatOrange

Living Legend
only 4 mid-majors made it to the sweet 16; Villanova, Gonzaga, Loyola-Chicago and Nevada. And Nevada beat another mid-major (Cincy) to get there.

The committee can keep giving the mid-majors high seeds and the P5 will continue sending them home early.

that is all

only 4 mid-majors made it to the sweet 16; Villanova, Gonzaga, Loyola-Chicago and Nevada. And Nevada beat another mid-major (Cincy) to get there.

The committee can keep giving the mid-majors high seeds and the P5 will continue sending them home early.

that is all
The Big East is a mid-major conference? Not in hoops.

Last edited:
The Big East in a mid-major conference? Not in hoops.
Sure seems like it...

When I ventured over to the UConn board for some late night laughs someone said "Only difference between the Big East and AAC is Villanova"... I'd agree.

The Big East in a mid-major conference? Not in hoops.

They're not P5 though and I'd agree some schools in the conference are not mid-major basketball schools and never have been but the majority are.

It's part of the reason that Xavier gets a high seed, beating up on mid-majors.

Nova #1
Xavier #1
Creighton #8
Providence #10
Seton Hall #8
Butler #10
marquette
gtown
depaul
stjohns

Last edited:
Two 1 seeds, Two 2 seeds, Two 3 seeds, and Three 4 seeds all are sitting at home today.

The tournament doesn't care who you are or where you're from. Mercy will not be shown.

It's Nova and a bunch of pretenders. Xavier will take a big step back after this year and that's the #2 program in the Big East. Butler, Providence, Creighton, Seton Hall...ok, am I supposed to be impressed by those programs?

Gonzaga was in the championship game last year. Villanova won the championship two years ago. Butler went to back to back championship games. Wichita F4 5 years ago. VCU F4 run. Memphis was in the title game a decade ago.

Gonzaga was in the championship game last year. Villanova won the championship two years ago. Butler went to back to back championship games. Wichita F4 5 years ago. VCU F4 run. Memphis was in the title game a decade ago.
Ok.. 5 years ago, a decade ago? Should we list UConns accomplishments pre-AAC?

There's some good "programs" that aren't P5...clearly.

However, the Big East is sooooo overhyped on this board.

Ok.. 5 years ago, a decade ago? Should we list UConns accomplishments pre-AAC?

There's some good "programs" that aren't P5...clearly.

However, the Big East is sooooo overhyped on this board.

I mean... it's been 15 years since SU made the championship :(

Two different ways to define mid-majors and the definitions are incompatible; historical consistency of the program vs conference affiliation.

Thought this was going to be about Georgetown and UConn

That's clearly an outlier and that ACC team won the title.

I'm not taking a shot at the ACC, which I agree is clearly a half-step or so above all the other conferences. The point is that cherry-picked statistics don't prove the Big East is not the equivalent of a power-5 conference. Even your point - Villanova could easily win the title this year (I would think they're the favorite right now). One of the power-5 conferences went 0-3 in this tournament; I don't see how anyone can possibly say the Big East isn't a notably better conference than the Pac-12 and on par with the rest of the non-ACC power-5 conferences.

I'm not taking a shot at the ACC, which I agree is clearly a half-step or so above all the other conferences. The point is that cherry-picked statistics don't prove the Big East is not the equivalent of a power-5 conference. Even your point - Villanova could easily win the title this year (I would think they're the favorite right now). One of the power-5 conferences went 0-3 in this tournament; I don't see how anyone can possibly say the Big East isn't a notably better conference than the Pac-12 and on par with the rest of the non-ACC power-5 conferences.
The PAC-12 has issues. Neither their football or basketball has been P5 worthy as of late. I'll completely agree that the Big East, hell, the AAC is better than the PAC-12 in CBB.

The PAC-12 has issues. Neither their football or basketball has been P5 worthy as of late. I'll completely agree that the Big East, hell, the AAC is better than the PAC-12 in CBB.

I'm not sure then there's much meaning in the word "mid-major" if you agree it includes conferences that are plainly not mid-major.

I'm not sure then there's much meaning in the word "mid-major" if you agree it includes conferences that are plainly not mid-major.
One conference is in question, the PAC-12.

There's clearly a huge seperation in CFB/CBB between the ACC/SEC/B1G/Big XII and the rest.

Two different ways to define mid-majors and the definitions are incompatible; historical consistency of the program vs conference affiliation.
facilities are the #1 indicator