So the mid-majors | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So the mid-majors

I’d say the PAC 12 is more mid major than the Big East.

One conference is in question, the PAC-12.

There's clearly a huge seperation in CFB/CBB between the ACC/SEC/B1G/Big XII and the rest.

The B1G hasn't won a basketball championship in Darius Bazley's lifetime. The idea that it's somehow head and shoulders above the Big East (which just won a NC two years ago and is much more likely to do so again this year) seems hard to support.

Yeah, the Oregon St and Wash St type programs are basically mid-majorish.

Gonzaga is a power now. Cincinnati and Xavier (especially this past decade) are players. Go walk the UC campus...that is no mid-major.

only 4 mid-majors made it to the sweet 16; Villanova, Gonzaga, Loyola-Chicago and Nevada. And Nevada beat another mid-major (Cincy) to get there.

The committee can keep giving the mid-majors high seeds and the P5 will continue sending them home early.

that is all
Calling Nova a mid major is a little much. The BIG EAST is a top basketball conference.

But yes, mid majors are incredibly overrated.

The B1G hasn't won a basketball championship in Darius Bazley's lifetime. The idea that it's somehow head and shoulders above the Big East (which just won a NC two years ago and is much more likely to do so again this year) seems hard to support.
That's fine. I'd call them a power program in a mid-major conference. Nova is top notch, their league is not. I'm sorry, Butler, Xavier, Providence and Seton Hall don't do it for me.

It's crazy, the Pac 12 got 3 teams in the tournament this year, 2 of them played (and lost) in the first four, and Arizona went out in round 1. Which is a long way of saying they got 0 teams to the round of 32. That's crazy to me, I get anything can happen in the tournament, but you're a power league and you get 1 team in the full field of 64??

The gap between P5 and everyone else makes much more sense in football with its 85 player rosters than it does in basketball. There will always be strong non-P5 programs in the NCAA tournament as long as the P5 is part of the tournament. There will also be years when a non-P5 conference will outperform P5 conferences. The SEC for a whole bunch of years has been just UK, Florida and then a huge drop-off to the rest. The last PAC12 champion was more than 20 years ago. The last B1G champ was nearly 20 years ago. The BE/AAC in roughly the same period won 7 championships.

I can understand saying the top 4 or 5 teams are better than many of the mid majors (P12 excluded) but I dispute that teams 6, 7, 8 or 9 in P5 conferences are significantly better or just better than the #2 or 3 from many of the mid-majors. Those P5 teams get in just for being in P5. They get significantly more chances to prove themselves than mid-majors.