1997 #1 lost to #4 Arizona in Sweet 16
1998 #1 lost to #8 Rhode Island in 2nd round

Or go back to this glorious Roy Williams stretch of wasted seeds

1995 #1 lost to #4 UVA in sweet 16 in a virtual home game played in Kansas City
1996 #2 lost to #4 Syracuse in Elite 8
1997 #1 lost to #4 Arizona in Sweet 16
1998 #1 lost to #8 Rhode Island in 2nd round
I would love me some wasted seeds!

Gonzaga was a very good but not great team. My beef is that they are ALWAYS over-seeded because they run up a great W/L record by playing in a weak conference where they are far above everyone else talent wise. So they get a couple of signature top 15 wins in non-conference and then play cupcakes in January-February when they don't lose a game. If they were in the ACC or B1G they would be top 3 in most years but would not win all the time and certainly would not go into Selection Sunday with their gaudy 31-2 records all the time and get over-seeded. Imagine if SU went to the Patriot league and went undefeated each year in conference and had maybe 2 non-conference loses and couple of big non-con wins against top 20 teams. We would be a high seed in the tourney every year.

I mean KenPom and Vegas had them as the number 1-3 team in the country the entire year. Texas Tech is also really good.

let's say SU goes to the patriot league . we don't get the same players. hakuna matada .
(and no he's not a 5 star center.)

I mean KenPom and Vegas had them as the number 1-3 team in the country the entire year. Texas Tech is also really good.

If the Frankie suspension hadn’t happened o think we beat Gonzaga but get plowed by 20+ by Tech

Did few. Really say that hachimura is bigger in Japan than ichiro lol?

If they were in the ACC or B1G they would be top 3 in most years but would not win all the time and certainly would not go into Selection Sunday with their gaudy 31-2 records all the time and get over-seeded

Weird argument to make in a year where Gonzaga’s the only team to beat Duke at full strength.

Weird argument to make in a year where Gonzaga’s the only team to beat Duke at full strength.
One game. We beat Duke at Cameron. Should we be a high seed?
I didn't say Zags were not a good team. Just over-seeded due to a very inflated win total beating weak teams.

you just know if syracuse ever lost behind a bonehead technical like that, most of the blame here would be on the hc's head
I don't know but did JB get the blame for who, Moton's time out several years ago?

They have been a 1 seed 3 times.
They lost in the second round to Wichita State who themselves went to the Final Four in 2013.
In 2017 they were a 1 seed and lost in the NC game.
This year they were a 1 seed and lost in the Elite 8.

So they choked in 2013. Made the final four the second time and this year lost to a damn good Texas Tech team in a 55/45 game.
Let’s go thru their other recent seasons.
Last year they were a 4 seed and in the Sweet 16.
2016 they were an 11 seed and lost to Syracuse in the Sweet 16.
2015 they were a 2 seed and lost in the Elite 8 to the eventual NC Duke team.
2014 they were an 8 seed and lost in the second round.

This decade Gonzaga has met expectations of their seed every tournament except 2013 they lost second round as a 1 seed and this year 2019 they were a 1 seed and lost in the Elite 8.

betfirm has the odds of each seed making whatever round. i took gonzaga's and syracuse's during few's tenure (99-00). if you add up the final four odds by each seed, that should tell you the expected value

boeheim has 3 final fours when his seeds' expected value is 1.8

few has 1 final four when his seeds' expected value is 2.3

few should have 4.4 regional final appearances, he has 3

boeheim should have 3.2 regional final appearances, he has 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online