So, what did people think about the D-Line? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So, what did people think about the D-Line?

As much as I love the dline guys from the last few seasons, athletically I believe these lineman fit what we are trying to accomplish with the 3-3-5 on a much higher level. Will there be bumps in the road? Sure, but lots to be excited about.

Thought they did a great job. 15 first downs, 135 yards rushing, 334 total. DLine with 12 tackles, 1.5 sacks and 2.5 TFL and a fumble recovery. Pretty good.

Linton was a beast. Really disruptive and all over the field. Geer, Simmons and Dartin stood out a lot as being disruptive and around the ball. Not sure Geer credited with any tackles has to be a mistake I saw him in on one in the 3rd.

Inside I saw #90 (started) and #45 as well as #99. I’d love to see a snap count because Darton got a lot of snaps. 99 had a series, maybe two.

There were some wicked collisions in there, one thing I’ll say about our DLine is they are tough and mean. I can see some ups and downs this season with them and health is sure gonna be a major factor.

Last edited:
Sorry for being snippy.

I need to amend what I said anyway. Lowery got some snaps late, and when McDonald came in, they almost went to a four man front at first. So there were some interesting rotations and quasi-position deployments.

Lowery got a lot of snaps, but was playing LB and moving up some to the line. McDonald replaced Thompson

Last edited:
When Thompson got hurt, they went to McDonald first. Wasn’t real impressive. Then went to Lowery. He got bounced around even more. Went back to McDonald and he settled in more and did OK. The INT was sweet. But neither are close to Thompson.

Yeah McDonald over ran some some plays early as Louisville seemed to want to take advantage of him but he settled in as the game wore on. He has all the makings of being a great linebacker he just needs experience. (he’s a perfect example of will make mistakes but has crazy in his eyes)

I think his growth over this week and next will be tremendous since he knows he’s now the guy, little added extra attention to detail. He works with the ones this week gets the UConn scrimmage and then more film next week.

That's my concern.

Not sure that we have a "natural" replacement who is on par with Thompson.

Thompson is an SEC LB. 250 just huge who can run. Hard to replace. He wasn’t that way out of the gate though. McDonald red shirt freshman have to love his potential and he sure looks big out there 6’4 looks like a tight end but needs a year. Physique wise reminds of a young Glenn Young. Roon in the same mold. Gonna have to grow up quick.

I feel like we were trying some things out of defense today.

Every team has a weakness. Against pass it will be fine. Against power runs…hold breath

Granted UConn was out of ideas by the second half and posed zero threat in the passing game but defense looked much better against the run in the second half.

Purdue football isn’t your thing, eh?
I watched their opener. They will be relentless. Very curious what the opening spread will be.

Wow. A home dog? Damn.
Not too surprising, Syracuse hasnt earned the respect of average better, people will pile onto purdue based on perception alone if Syracuse opened a favorite. I expect it will be a pickem by game time or a cuse -1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom