So what do we know about UConn? | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

So what do we know about UConn?

I like the over. I think they’ll score, not sure how they stop us.

Unless UConn can absoultely dominate TOP or were turning it over a ton, it's hard to see SU not being able to put up points. Only concern would be if Uconn is successful in stacking the box and teh passing game reverts to last year. Hard to see that happening with as well as Shrader as playing and the additional options we have at WR.

Aw Jeez Bees. I'm an eastern football fan. This Cuse/Husky game has some juice to it, more than most of the ACC games.
No. No it doesn’t. I recognize SU will play UCT every once in a while because they’re close geographically, and we should probably be pushing for 2 for 1s. But no one - and I mean no one - gets amped to play them. We would get more excitement playing Army, or Navy or heck even Temple, than UCT.

I follow CCSU some because my neighbor plays for them. They aren’t very good. 4-7 last year. Played Miami last year for some reason and lost 69-0.
Agreed. There's a kid from Auburn on CCSU, so I've tracked them a bit. They are a below average FCS squad.

This game could be over quickly depending on how aggressive we start out.

No. No it doesn’t. I recognize SU will play UCT every once in a while because they’re close geographically, and we should probably be pushing for 2 for 1s. But no one - and I mean no one - gets amped to play them. We would get more excitement playing Army, or Navy or heck even Temple, than UCT.
Army and Navy, meh. Temple, if it helps get recruits out of Philly. but they are no value for rivalry purposes.

Ya I'd expect Uconn to run a lot of heavy sets run some trick plays and try to dominate TOP if they can. As others have pointed out the best thing SU can do is score first and get up 7 or 10-0 and put the onus on Uconn to try and throw the ball. UConn wants to make this rock fight as much as possible and have it be like 7-3 in the early part of the 2nd quarter.

SU needs to avoid turnovers and dumb mistakes. Babers lead teams haven't been great defending trick plays in the past so hopefully were on the look out there. From and SU standpoint with this secondary and UConn's honestly bad receivers can't see how we don't stack the box. Thompson is a massive loss and SU being undersized on the DL is a problem. This is where not having a big DT or 2 could cause some problems. SU is clearly the more talented team but we've seen talented SU teams get sucked into rock fights before back in the day.

1st quarter should tell a lot about how the game will play out.

To be fair TW will be expecting that as well. We'll shoot gaps and create a lot of second and longs. We didn't let Lville's massive oline lean on us, not sure UConn will be able to keep us out of the backfield. Expect a lot of holding and hopefully the refs call it.

Which conferance ends the refs for this one

To be fair TW will be expecting that as well. We'll shoot gaps and create a lot of second and longs. We didn't let Lville's massive oline lean on us, not sure UConn will be able to keep us out of the backfield. Expect a lot of holding and hopefully the refs call it.

Which conferance ends the refs for this one
Usually, the away team's conference sends the refs.

Thompson is a massive loss and SU being undersized on the DL is a problem. This is where not having a big DT or 2 could cause some problems.
Its either the scheme or not. You need under sized, explosive D lineman in this defense to perform all the fits that allows the defense to attack the gaps on a run heavy team. If you want them to have big DT's than they need to go back to a 4-3 scheme where you have traditional 1 and 3 tech DT's. Many ways to skin a cat. SU chose to use strong, fast and explosive D Lineman against less athletic offensive lineman.

Last edited:
I think Tony White vs a true freshman QB is a very unfair matchup.

On offense we'll see a relatively balanced attack. I think Anae knows he has an opportunity to get the passing game even more in flow. Let some of those guys with the bad drops redeem themselves. Tucker will steam roll.
I don’t think this part has been said enough. Freshman QB vs Tony White.

Its either the scheme or not. You need under sized, explosive D lineman in this defense to perform all the fits the allows the defense to attack the gaps on a run heavy team. If you want them to have big DT's than they need to go back to a 4-3 scheme where you have traditional 1 and 3 tech DT's. Many ways to skin a cat. SU chose to use strong, fast and explosive D Lineman against less athletic offensive lineman.

Ya I certainly understand that this is the system SU has chosen to run with and clearly the Dline held up fine last week. My point was that the downside is that in a game like this going against a very run heavy team it would be nice if we had 1 or 2 big DT to help against the run game.

as the kids now say ^^^Facts^^^

Just watched the Central Connecticut game and UConn was greatly helped by very very poor tackling by CCSU. Alligator arms everywhere. UConn was continuing to try and score with less than 2 minutes left and an 18 point lead … presumably so the score didn’t look AS bad at 21-3.

We’ll see a lot of punts, this is Penas chance to shine. Tucker has 200 total yards by half? We’ll be channel surfing by 9pm Saturday

Ya I certainly understand that this is the system SU has chosen to run with and clearly the Dline held up fine last week. My point was that the downside is that in a game like this going against a very run heavy team it would be nice if we had 1 or 2 big DT to help against the run game.
It’s not a downside. You can stop run heavy, down hill running teams with their method too. I don’t understand the thought that big DT’s helps stop the run and nothing else. There are multiple ways to stop the run. They can get gashed with the run with bigger DT’s as well.

Usually, the away team's conference sends the refs.

Yeah I thought so as well but UGA vs Oregon last week had ACC refs so was hoping that changed.

I'd rather not have B1G refs for Purdue given what they've shown us against NW, Rutgers, etc.

Most of the best rivalries are a result of geography.
persistencedemotivator_grande.jpeg

Bill, my main point is, why is it such a bad idea to pump the breaks a bit instead of building these wild expectations based on 1 game? If it's a tough game, which it could well be, and Syracuse gets the win, what's wrong with that? As far as the rivalry thing goes, Syracuse needs to put the past behind them and look to the future.

Bill, my main point is, why is it such a bad idea to pump the breaks a bit instead of building these wild expectations based on 1 game? If it's a tough game, which it could well be, and Syracuse gets the win, what's wrong with that? As far as the rivalry thing goes, Syracuse needs to put the past behind them and look to the future.
I don't have a problem with pumping the brakes. I just think you're really, really overplaying UConn's abilities based on a somewhat competitve game against a questionable opponent and a fairlytight game against a very bad one. As far as the rivalry thing, I've been following SU football since about 1980. UConn is not anything close to our rival in football. Maybe, if we had stayed in the same conference, it could have become one based on Randy Edsall gloating over kicking us when we were already unconscious, but, to quote Austin Powers, that train has sailed.
UConn has desperately tried to cultivate a rivalry with anyone who would have it (see the CivilCONfliCT debacle), but they haven't really found anyone to reciprocate.
They have a natural football rivalry with UMass, both in location and competitiveness. I think they should cultivate that rather than acting like the little kid in the neighborhood trying to be friends with all the older kids when there is another kid the same age also looking for a friend. I think Mora understands you can't force someone to be your rival, but apparently, the UConn fans don't understand.

I don't have a problem with pumping the brakes. I just think you're really, really overplaying UConn's abilities based on a somewhat competitve game against a questionable opponent and a fairlytight game against a very bad one. As far as the rivalry thing, I've been following SU football since about 1980. UConn is not anything close to our rival in football. Maybe, if we had stayed in the same conference, it could have become one based on Randy Edsall gloating over kicking us when we were already unconscious, but, to quote Austin Powers, that train has sailed.
UConn has desperately tried to cultivate a rivalry with anyone who would have it (see the CivilCONfliCT debacle), but they haven't really found anyone to reciprocate.
They have a natural football rivalry with UMass, both in location and competitiveness. I think they should cultivate that rather than acting like the little kid in the neighborhood trying to be friends with all the older kids when there is another kid the same age also looking for a friend. I think Mora understands you can't force someone to be your rival, but apparently, the UConn fans don't understand.
oh no, oh no, you mentioned U Mass to Cous. lock this thread!!

The basis of the SU/UCONN rivalry is basketball. In other rivalries it starts with one sport and extends to all the other sports eventually. UMASS and UCONN should definitely look to make their sports teams the main rivals of the other, they have played each other since the 1800's. Who is the Oranges main rival, BC? That doesn't really fire up much passion. PITT, about the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom