So what do you think of our team now? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So what do you think of our team now?

I am putting all my chips in on The Chief and Tony White to continue with excellent game planning, for Beck to keep our game management in a good place, and the greatest number of high end guys we have had in years (Tucker, Mikel, both Garrett's, Bergeron, Wax, Duce etc) to take us home with 8 wins or so.

I predicted 7-6 in the Cali awards thread...basically 6-6, squeaking into a bowl game that we win.

Now, I see us 5-0 headed into the bye week/NC State, going 4-3 over those last 7 games to finish 9-3. And somehow, that will seem a bit disappointing after the fast start but will take it in a heartbeat.

Here’s what I really think..

162B1EAC-6DC3-416E-A852-353D9D062B0F.jpeg

I think we’re between a 7 and 9 win regular season team.

Purdue’s QB was throwing dimes against tough coverage.

We have legit NFL talent on this team. And our schedule seems a bit less daunting then first glance.

We need better play as a unit from the OL. We’ll need special teams to be great. We’ll need health to stay on our side. But this team is good.

Garrett, Duce, Mikel, Wax, Tucker, Berg, Shrader. I have faith in all of those guys.

Linton, Gadsen, etc. that next tier down that have to prove themselves, have done so in bits and pieces.

We’ll need a few balls to bounce our way, but this team is good.
Do you know what heartens me?
First of all, as I said before, we brought our B minus game and we found a way to win. That says a lot.

Additionally I feel like the coaching brain trust is working on a “lessons learned” thing right now. Clock management, high snap avoidance, more cohesive O-line play, finding room for Tucker, using a TE for catching, taking weight off of Shrader‘s shoulders so he feel he’s he doesn’t have to do everything to win the game.

I don’t know if this behind the scenes tweaking translates into wins but I’m confident the coaches are proactive, strategic and effective in ensuring the kids have fun and know what to do.

Last edited:
I feel about the same. You are gonna win games you should have lost and sometimes you will lose games you should have won. That’s football.

I like the fact that the team found a way to win. That tells me about the character of players. They are fighters. When you have that you have a chance to win some ball games.

Last edited:
Do you know what heartens me?
First of all, as I said before, we brought our B minus game and we found a way to win. That says a lot.

Additionally I feel like the coaching brain trust is working on a “lessons learned” thing right now. Clock management, high snap avoidance, more cohesive O-line play, finding room for Tucker, using a TE for catching, taking weight off of Shrader‘s shoulders so he feel he’s he doesn’t have to do everything to win the game.

I don’t know if this behind the scenes tweaking translates into wins but I’m confident the coaches are proactive, strategic and effective in ensuring the kids have fun and no what to do.
I think that was worse than B- but I get what you are saying. We played poorly and still beat a pretty good team.

But the question is what if that wasn’t a “B-“ game but just who we are going to be this year. If we play the way we did against Purdue going forward, I think we see 8-5. If Purdue was truly just a bad game, I think we could go 11-2.

Voice of Doom: "Last year we pulled out the Liberty game by 3 points. Then we lost the next three games by the same margin. A big factor: decision-making in the final minutes, like failing to run the clock at 2:53 with the 3-point lead."

With a mobile QB that likes to run, I am hesitant to make predictions.

I like what limited action we've seen from CRDW, but not enough to have starter confidence in him.

Voice of Doom: "Last year we pulled out the Liberty game by 3 points. Then we lost the next three games by the same margin. A big factor: decision-making in the final minutes, like failing to run the clock at 2:53 with the 3-point lead."
This Purdue team would beat that Liberty team by 30

I'm bummed about the Jones loss.

Alford lets us down more often than not and Gasden is good but I liked having another WR that is a little more well rounded.

We're 3-0, just beat a good Big Ten team and are on the verge of breaking into the rankings. That was one of the greatest games in the history of the Dome -and we won it!

But did your estimate of how good this team is increase or did it deflate a bit? We looked like a powerhouse beating what should be a pretty good Louisville team and steamrolled a bad Connecticut team. Against Purdue we couldn't run the ball. Shrader and the receivers looked like they did last year. the defense got burned several times. Those high snaps on the placekicks could cost us. Injuries are starting to pile up. Purdue would have won if they'd kept their mouths shut. But we gutted it out and made the plays to win the game anyway.

What did that do to your estimate of how good this team is? I'm very happy but also more concerned than I was before the game.
They are what I’d thought they would be and where I expected them to be.

My opinion hinges on two things we don’t currently know

1. How good is Purdue, if they finish with 8 wins, I’ll feel different than if they miss a bowl

2. Was this a blip or a trend. Most teams have a stumble or two during good years (bad luck, bad matchup, virus running through locker room, whatever). Clemson lost to us when they won the NC In ’17. Our 2003 team lost to Rutgers when we won the NC (and played like crap against OKST in the NCAA).

If we look like we did against purdue this friday, I’ll be worried. But we have played 2 good games (against 1 good opponent) and 1 sub par game (but showed grit and determination) so i think this was a blip, not a trend

My opinion hinges on two things we don’t currently know

1. How good is Purdue, if they finish with 8 wins, I’ll feel different than if they miss a bowl

2. Was this a blip or a trend. Most teams have a stumble or two during good years (bad luck, bad matchup, virus running through locker room, whatever). Clemson lost to us when they won the NC In ’17. Our 2003 team lost to Rutgers when we won the NC (and played like crap against OKST in the NCAA).

If we look like we did against purdue this friday, I’ll be worried. But we have played 2 good games (against 1 good opponent) and 1 sub par game (but showed grit and determination) so i think this was a blip, not a trend

I get your point but Purdue has a cake schedule. Can’t see them worse than 8-4. If that is indeed their record then it was a bad year. That means 0-4 against teams with a pulse.

Agree with your 2nd point

Great W and that it the important thing.

Still, our great CBs were taken down a peg or two and the OL looked very ordinary. The secondary gave up a ton of yards. We did not run the ball well. Depth is a concern as no one emerged in that game except Gadsden.

We battled and won - with some luck and help from Purdue. Have a ways to go and much to prove before this team is ranked. Possible with more luck - keeping our top guys healthy.

I know the game is 4 quarters not 3 blah blah blah, but through three quarters, the defense held Purdue to 9 points and 288 yards of total offense. Unfortunately, the wheels kinda came off in the 4th quarter after the pick 6, and they started giving up chunk plays when the one thing they really couldn't afford to do was give up chunk plays. I would hope that type of stuff will be cleaned up in the future.

Btw, one huge play not being talked about much (that I've seen) was the third down sack by Linton called back due to being offsides. We went from a Purdue punt to them putting 6 on the board and taking the lead.

I'm glad you posted this, I had similar thoughts. I feel slightly less confident after the Purdue game and that is simply because you are only as good as your last game, or so they say. Maybe Purdue is a great team that is unlucky to be 1-2 or maybe they are a 1-2 team. Or maybe the first two games gave me the craziest idea that we could do the unthinkable this year, and this game put a damper on those thoughts.

I dont know how people are deciding on who is getting handled in press coverage.. We havent really seen itmuch and guys have been open every game.. Its not like Purdue locked everyone down.. if we could hit the wheel route throws we had that open 3-4-5 times. yeah Purdue played us tight at times but there were guys open as well. Uconn we had guys open all game and the same for UL. You only get X amount of wide open home run throws and we missed them all when on Avg you should probably hit at least 2 of those as open as they were and 3-4 on a good day. Our stats look way better 125 -300 for 425 and the plays were there.

So look at this way

Purdue 70 - 356 for 420
Penn St 98 - 308 for 400

Aub 119 - 296 for 420
Penn St 245 - 232 for 470

Su 125 - 181 for 300
purd 61 - 420 for 480

so PSU had way easier time moving the ball vs Aub than Purdue D
Purdue had 420 in game 1 vs PSU and 480 vs us. so moved it pretty well both games

Purdue - Minn will tell us more about Purdue they might run the table after that.

We're 3-0, just beat a good Big Ten team and are on the verge of breaking into the rankings. That was one of the greatest games in the history of the Dome -and we won it!

But did your estimate of how good this team is increase or did it deflate a bit? We looked like a powerhouse beating what should be a pretty good Louisville team and steamrolled a bad Connecticut team. Against Purdue we couldn't run the ball. Shrader and the receivers looked like they did last year. the defense got burned several times. Those high snaps on the placekicks could cost us. Injuries are starting to pile up. Purdue would have won if they'd kept their mouths shut. But we gutted it out and made the plays to win the game anyway.

What did that do to your estimate of how good this team is? I'm very happy but also more concerned than I was before the game.
I think the team having illness working through it throughout the week had some impact

I think we’re between a 7 and 9 win regular season team.

Purdue’s QB was throwing dimes against tough coverage.

We have legit NFL talent on this team. And our schedule seems a bit less daunting then first glance.

We need better play as a unit from the OL. We’ll need special teams to be great. We’ll need health to stay on our side. But this team is good.

Garrett, Duce, Mikel, Wax, Tucker, Berg, Shrader. I have faith in all of those guys.

Linton, Gadsen, etc. that next tier down that have to prove themselves, have done so in bits and pieces.

We’ll need a few balls to bounce our way, but this team is good.
If Alford can step up and be the player we want to see, this can be a great team. He did a great job blocking on the TD run.
You can't teach size, he made a great attempt on the play falling out of bounds.
If he starts catching the ball, the sky is the limit.

I'm bummed about the Jones loss.

Alford lets us down more often than not and Gasden is good but I liked having another WR that is a little more well rounded.

Lol - why not just say you think we are going 3-9 and be done with it

I feel nothing but optimism for this team. Purdue was a great test that we miraculously passed with 7 seconds to go in the game. We have a lot of gamers on this team, including the coaches. Purdue had great performances against us but lost their poise at a critical moment. We won even though they defended well against our strengths. We have clutch players all over the place and it took all of them to pull a victory from the jaws of defeat. Just wow! We are unlikely to win them all, but we're going to be competitive. LGO!!

This is an interesting question.

I think our special teams are noticeably improved from last year.

We have a lot of our starters and best athletes on the coverage units and it shows. They have been very good so far.

Max has been solid as the new punter. He isn’t at all conference level but he is at least average and it appears he is improving from game to game. Big step up from the disaster at punter that was last season.

Andre looks improved at placekicker. Hated to see that miss against Purdue. Hope it is his last of the season. The quality of his kicks is noticeably more consistent. He is getting good height and showing improved power.

Andre started the season kicking off but Brady replaced him after the first game (if memory serves). Brady is a vast improvement and getting him in has taken away any possibly of opponents kicking kickoffs for big returns. This was badly needed.

That leaves the return teams. Trabor was okay returning kickoffs and punts to start the season. Didn’t get a ton of chances. He got hurt and was replaced by Courtney. Courtney’s good KO return on the final drive of the Purdue game quietly set the stage for the great comeback. He has looked good. Sounds like Trabor might be returning this week. I am thinking it might be a good idea to keep Courtney as the KO and punter returner in the hopes of keeping Trabor healthy and available to play WR. But maybe he brings more value as a return guy.

On defense, all those questions about the defensive line are getting answered. Slowly. Darton dominated the game on Saturday. That was one of the best performances we have had at NT in a long time. Terry continues to do a solid job here as well. I think Caleb moves inside sometimes as well. Happy with how things are inside.

At DE, we have mostly been playing Caleb, Linton, Geer, with Jaquez, Simmons also getting some snaps. I think Caleb has been solid all year. Geer is making the adjustment to college ball. Seems to be improving from game to game. Made a big play getting to O’Connell to force the turnover. Also made a foolish late hit on O’Connell that allow Purdue to continue a drive. More good than bad. Linton seems like he goes offsides a lot but he was terrific against UL and it seems like he is our best pass rusher and best athlete on the DL. Would like to see him get more PT. Jaquez and Simmons haven’t been able to get that ‘crazy’ in their eyes to translate into production yet.

The LBs have been good. I think we lost one of our best pass rushers when Thompson went down. McDonald has been fine but isn’t quite as good as Stefon was. Jones has been terrific. Might end up all conference. Wax is not far behind him. Hope he is okay. Has gone down and gotten shaken up a couple of times already this year. Lowery. Roon and Sparrow are the backups. I think Lowery has been first off the bench so far.

Williams has been great this year. Yes, he was beat in man against Jones a couple of times. But he is getting like 8 tackles a game. Unbelievable production for a CB. Has stepped up his tackling and run stopping ability in a major way. And his coverage skills are top notch. Chestnut has had some good and bad moments. Missed a tackle in the open field against Purdue that played a big role in them getting that late TD. But he has made a lot of good plays too.

I think Carter is doing well at boundary safety. Simmons is getting some PT behind him and might be better suited to that position. Maybe more run support there.

I have been a little disappointed in what Barron has done so far. At least one of the UConn TDs was on him, and I think he gets too aggressive and gets out of position too easily. Hanna is still get significant PT as his backup and even though he lacks the physical gifts Barron has, Rob might be better at positioning.

I think Clark got off to a bit of a rocky start when he was inserted into the starting lineup at free safety (think that happened when SImmons got banged up). Was a little over eager. But it looks to me as though he is getting a lot better very fast. His physical gifts are evident. The kid can really run and he can deliver a big hit as well. Happy to see him developing here.

I was expecting Oliver to stick at rover and eventually win the starting job there but he has been moved a couple of times and isn’t even listed on the two deep right now. I suspect this is a motivational ploy but maybe he is just lost for now. Like his athleticism. Hope he finds his way on the field soon.

Also hoping to see Isaiah Johnson on the field soon. He might be our first nickel type when the offense loads up with WRs. That hasn’t happened much so far so I haven’t noticed who is going in then. It was good to see Johnson and WIlson get PT against UConn and make big plays. Hoping we might be able to give Williams and Chestnut some rest to help keep them fresh and healthy all season.

Overall, happy with the defense. We have finally had the guts to play press coverage with the corners. Think that happened in the second half against Purdue. Had good success with this for most of the half but it fell apart some late in the fourth quarter.

We haven’t had the pass rush I would like and a lot of that is because the LBs haven’t been rushing the QB a lot so far. Thinking that will change the rest of the year. Liked seeing Caleb downfield covering the Purdue TE. He did a nice job on the play I saw. Looks like the player switching and stunting this year is more advanced and involved and is causing offenses a lot of problems.

On offense, Garrett has looked like a new man all season. Except the first half against Purdue. What happened? Sometimes I think his hesitation to pass was legit. No one was open. We had a lot of heavy formations with one or two TEs and didn’t send a lot of players out on passing routes. The Purdue CBs were VERY aggressive bumping and holding our WRs and while the refs occasionally called penalties, they let a lot go. We played guys like Courtney and Cooper a lot and they had a hard time getting open.

Garrett missed Trabor for an easy TD against UConn but generally has done a really nice job finding the open man. There were a couple more instances Saturday where Garrett missed a receiver running wide open. Hope this was more a function of him missing practices and that he will be better here from this point forward. It looked like he was shown film of plays he missed at halftime and made adjustments immediately. One of the late TDs was the same play that was run in the first half where Garrett missed Gadsden for a TD.

Garrett had at least 2 throws down the sideline that went OB where he had his guy open but threw it poorly. That one wheel route to Tucker where he maybe hung it up just a tad, or maybe under threw it slightly, also hurt. But he missed that throw by inches.

In the second half, he looked a lot more comfortable in the pocket and threw the ball significant;y more accurately. Whatever happened in the first half went away and he was solid again. Might have just been a lack of confidence.

The two big questions for the offense coming into the year were whether the OL could pass block effectively and whether the young SU WRs could get open and make catches in games.

I think the OL has been much better pass blocking. They might only be average here, or slightly above average. But that is a vast improvement over what happened the last couple of years.

The crazy illegal procedure calls we saw against UL has gone away, at least in part because only UL has been willing to try and break rules so blatantly. We should be good on this front the rest of the year.

Gadsden looks like an emerging star at the UVa football player position. He has been really good. Jones looked like he was right behind him. Until his injury. That opens the door for Alford to get a lot more PT and have a chance to redeem himself. So big, so strong, so fast, and so inconsistent. Let’s hope he can step up his game and stop dropping the ball, lining up wrong and jumping off sides.

I am disappointed with Courtney Jackson. He has a lot of experience and should be a rock solid option. Still getting bodied up by physical CBs. Still dropping some balls. He can and needs to be better. Still think he is the best YAC guy we have.

It will be interesting to see who jumps into the PT that was going to Jones. Could be Adams or Cooper. Could be Brown or Hatcher finally get their chance. Maybe they play Villari at football player some and give Gadsden some PT at OWR? I suspect Cooper is going to benefit the most at least to start off.

Hoeh seems a far better blocker than Mang and is surely headed for significantly more PT. I bet he starts at one of the OG positions or C next year.

It was really disturbing to see how well Purdue did shutting down the SU offense in the first half. They committed to taking away the run and we really didn’t have an answer until the second half.

UVa saw the tape of the game and has to be thinking about using press coverage and playing 8 in the box as well. It will be interesting to see if they do it. I don’t think their CBs are highly regarded and I don’t think they have been playing a lot of press coverage. But they play in the other division and I am not close to as familiar with them as teams in the Atlantic. I could be wrong but I think they are going to play things more straight up, with zone coverage. Doubt they will be willing to put their CBs on an island. If they do, we better go after them hard and make them pay for trying it.

We heard about rub routes with running backs in the red zone all preseason camp and I am not sure we have seen that play all year. Guessing the staff is holding it for conference play. Guessing we might see it for the first time Friday night.

Very good start to the season. Gotta get this one too. Then the season starts getting really interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom