So what happens | Syracusefan.com

So what happens

qdawgg

Night Biking Enthusiast
when the BE sends out all these invites and everyone declines them. Or SMU is the only one to accept. Not that the BE was ever in "good standing" as far as a football conference but holy crap all of this feels like desperation. Actually it is desperation, can you imagine how the league will be viewed if 1 or 2 bottom barrel schools on the list accept the invite and nobody else.

If they refuse, watch how fast ECU, Memphis and Temple get invited to join...

With the way Temple is playing right now I'm surprised they weren't invited. Obviously asking them to join b/c of what they're doing right now isn't the brightest move but the BE is barely holding itself together right now.

If they refuse, watch how fast ECU, Memphis and Temple get invited to join...
You would think that with all the time they are spending on this that they have a great Plan A and Plan B (and Plan C). The key to the whole thing is keeping the BCS bid. Am I wrong in saying that it is damn near impossible at this point.

when the BE sends out all these invites and everyone declines them. Or SMU is the only one to accept. Not that the BE was ever in "good standing" as far as a football conference but holy crap all of this feels like desperation. Actually it is desperation, can you imagine how the league will be viewed if 1 or 2 bottom barrel schools on the list accept the invite and nobody else.

I will be business as usual is all for Marinara and the BE. NO invite should go out without knowledge it will be accepted.

I will be business as usual is all for Marinara and the BE. NO invite should go out without knowledge it will be accepted.

That makes sense but is it possible that hasn't happened? Air Force and boise still haven't agreed to join.

You would think that with all the time they are spending on this that they have a great Plan A and Plan B (and Plan C). The key to the whole thing is keeping the BCS bid. Am I wrong in saying that it is damn near impossible at this point.

I would think that other conferences could argue pretty easily that if the BE has an auto bid they should to.

How can you officially invite teams that are going to turn you down unless thats the plan?

With the way Temple is playing right now

Temple finished third in the MAC East division last year. This year they got curb-stomped by Toledo.

We've been over this before. Temple is really good at beating bad MAC teams but can't beat the good ones. Luckily for them, there doesn't appear to be ANY good teams in the MAC East this year.

Temple finished third in the MAC East division last year. This year they got curb-stomped by Toledo.

We've been over this before. Temple is really good at beating bad MAC teams but can't beat the good ones. Luckily for them, there doesn't appear to be ANY good teams in the MAC East this year.

Maybe your looking at a different Temple Owls team then I am. The team I am referring to lost to PSU by 4 points and beat MD in MD by 31. Hopefully we won't have to go over this again.

How can you officially invite teams that are going to turn you down unless thats the plan?

I'm not sure I understand the question. I don't think the plan was to get turned down, the BE is just in panic mode and trying to find teams to join. Every other conference has taken forever just to invite 1 or 2 teams to their conference. There are rumblings forever before it actually happens. The BE just lost SU and Pitt yet in no time at all they have invited a whole bunch of teams.

Marinatto just got permission to proceed with expansion, how is it possible that he's already been in contact with these teams and the've agreed to join? I just don't think he has REAL commitments from any or all of these teams. Boise and Air Force are a perfect example of this. We've also heard no rumblings about any of the other schools holding super fast meetings to accept the invitation to the BE. Which implies to me they never truly told Marinatto they were ready to join once they received an invite.

He doesn't even have commitments from his own football teams. How can anyone agree to come into this mess?

They were invited to the party so at least they have to send a gift if they don't come right? Right? Thank God we are on the outside looking in...

Maybe your looking at a different Temple Owls team then I am. The team I am referring to lost to PSU by 4 points and beat MD in MD by 31. Hopefully we won't have to go over this again.

Yes, let's look at two cherry-picked weeks rather than fourteen years of suckitude in the Big East and four years of mediocrity in the MAC.

Yes, let's look at two cherry-picked weeks rather than fourteen years of suckitude in the Big East and four years of mediocrity in the MAC.

If that's your response then you obviously never read all my posts. Great job, here's what I wrote:

"With the way Temple is playing right now I'm surprised they weren't invited. Obviously asking them to join b/c of what they're doing right now"

Implying that I never thought they were a good team before.

Yes, because conferences make decisions that will affect them for years, possibly even decades, based on right now. That's why the Big Ten invited Toledo after they beat Michigan and the SEC invited Northern Illinois after they beat Alabama.

If you want to just look at the surface regarding Temple and remain ignorant about what's below it, knock yourself out. Temple hasn't done jack shiat to prove they belong in a conference better than the MAC. After three and a half years in the MAC, they have never beaten a MAC team with a winning conference record and their attendance still sucks.

You fellas are really getting worked up about a league that we're leaving

Yes, because conferences make decisions that will affect them for years, possibly even decades, based on right now. That's why the Big Ten invited Toledo after they beat Michigan and the SEC invited Northern Illinois after they beat Alabama.

If you want to just look at the surface regarding Temple and remain ignorant about what's below it, knock yourself out. Temple hasn't done jack shiat to prove they belong in a conference better than the MAC. After three and a half years in the MAC, they have never beaten a MAC team with a winning conference record and their attendance still sucks.

READ THE POST. Holy crap, I can't believe I have to explain this. I was implying that I was surprised the BE didn't invite Temple b/c of perceived success this year even though they haven't done that much in the past. But leave it to the BE to jump the gun and only think about today and not the future b/c they are so desperate.

I have no idea how you don't realize your arguing with me and making a point that I've already made.