So Where Do We Go From Here? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So Where Do We Go From Here?

Why is everyone so hot on Golden? His record is good but not great.

Why is everyone so hot on Golden? His record is good but not great.
Great recruiter and a NE guy.

His record is partly a reflection of where he has coached. He did a fine job at Temple all things considered.

Bring in the WannStache!

I'm completely not serious though.

Unless the replacement is a MAJOR guy(proven winner), we need to promote Shafer & keep the core system in place. The offense has improved incredibly, & the defense has been great to decent in the past 4 years.

Any big changes with unproven commodities will turn out UGLY bad again...

While I would hate wanny's pro style i formation offense he might not not be a bad candidate.

My first choice right now not knowing anything is golden. Would be curious about cristobal and I want it to be known that I was the first person to mention Wilber at ODU. I know nothing about the guy other than what's on the paper but he's had an upward trajectory career and a heck of a record at the upstart program. He's certainly interesting.

I don't mind losing Marrone at all, I'm more bent about the staff. I love the entire staff and will hate to lose any of them. schafer, Morrison, daoust, Wheatley, Robinson and Adkins. Ansalemo gonna retire soon but well miss him to.

If Hackett and Shafer are going to stay, I don't think it's that integral to have a "slam dunk" HC. Bringing in someone like Cristobal in that scenario would be okay to me. Otherwise, the ODU coach looks to be an up-and-coming candidate.

The guy at ODU has a very impressive resume to me.
Not Wilder.
Coaching at the FCS level requires a different skill set than at the major FBS level. Like many successful FCS coaches, Wilder built his early success on FBS transfers and accepting non- & partial qualifiers. They are also located in the Tidewater Virginia area, which is a hotbed of HS talent. I would also point out that ODU's post-season record has not lived up to their regular-season record. Plus. ODU invested a ton of money to upgrade their facilities - which does not sound like Syracuse.

You may be surprised about Golden. He had no idea of the shitstorm he was walking into at Miami -- pending sanctions, etc.

But hasn't he turned down good jobs since then? Like Wisconsin?

My only glass half full thought on him is that he was holding out for PSU. But since they apparently have a renewed commitment from O'Brien, maybe he'd be more likely to take this if he wants to get back in the northeast.

He should certainly be one of the first calls made, if he hasn't already. Worst he can do is laugh and hang up the phone.

I don't mind losing Marrone at all, I'm more bent about the staff. I love the entire staff and will hate to lose any of them. schafer, Morrison, daoust, Wheatley, Robinson and Adkins. Ansalemo gonna retire soon but well miss him to.

Agree 100%--this was a terrific staff. Hate to see that broken up.

Not Wilder.
Coaching at the FCS level requires a different skill set than at the major FBS level. Like many successful FCS coaches, Wilder built his early success on FBS transfers and accepting non- & partial qualifiers. They are also located in the Tidewater Virginia area, which is a hotbed of HS talent. I would also point out that ODU's post-season record has not lived up to their regular-season record. Plus. ODU invested a ton of money to upgrade their facilities - which does not sound like Syracuse.

How is this a negative? Presumably, he has the relationships there right? Syracuse is now an ACC team, which means, playing in you know the ACC conference which VIRGINIA is a part of.

Here's a serious question, would you rather a HC that had relationships in a hot bed recruiting area, that puts out D1 talent regularly or one with relationships in NY?

"Syracuse University, Newport News College Team!" Does the Mets farm team still play there, boom there is the NY connection.

"Now that all of the children have grown up."

Love the info on the possible coaches guys, please keep em coming!

Get Tressel start ZA from day one. My only fear with Tressel is as soon as he serves his punishment here he will leave for a better job.

IMO To turn this thing around and keep it going in the right direction we need a "splash" hire. We need to show everyone that we are serious about football. While our assistants would be an OK choice I just think that is status quo. We need to make a big hire IMO. So if I think that then we will for sure promote one of the two.

FWIW, I just spent some time in Ohio over the holiday, and heard that Tressel might be on the cusp of taking over the university president's role at YSU.

I know Jeff Tedford is a west coast guy, but, why not at least guage his interest? You all have a fun offense to watch, and, he is an offensive-minded guy. If you could keep most of this staff, including defensive assistants, I think that could be something to keep your upwards trend going.

Just my view from NC...

we dont need a big hire we need the right hire whoever it is

Spot on. One thing we don't need to do is make a decision in haste. This is an important hire. I don't care who the eventual hire is, provided due diligence is performed evaluating the options. And that doesn't have to take a ton of undue time, either.

Al golden is not leaving Miami especially to come here. He's turned down Wisconsin penn st Boston college and a couple garbage schools. We're not getting a big time coach because we don't have anything to offer. Hope that we get someone from the current staff. That's best option for us right now.

Randy Shannon? Seems like a class act and had Teddy Bridgewater locked up until he was let go. Larry Johnson? We always heard he was a magician getting defensive recruits but I don't know what's been said re him and the PSU mess.
Of those outsiders already mentiond above I could get enthused about Butch Davis if its been confirmed he wasn't involved in the UNC problems.

Randy Shannon? Seems like a class act and had Teddy Bridgewater locked up until he was let go. Larry Johnson? We always heard he was a magician getting defensive recruits but I don't know what's been said re him and the PSU mess.
Of those outsiders already mentiond above I could get enthused about Butch Davis if its been confirmed he wasn't involved in the UNC problems.
Butch Davis is NCAA sanctions waiting to happen. Just say no to Butch Davis.

How is this a negative? Presumably, he has the relationships there right? Syracuse is now an ACC team, which means, playing in you know the ACC conference which VIRGINIA is a part of.

Here's a serious question, would you rather a HC that had relationships in a hot bed recruiting area, that puts out D1 talent regularly or one with relationships in NY?

"Syracuse University, Newport News College Team!" Does the Mets farm team still play there, boom there is the NY connection.
Wilder grew up in Maine, played HS and college ball in ME, and coached at Maine from 1990-2006. He has only lived in VA and coached at ODU since then. If this is the primary rationale for hiring him as HC, then just shoot me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom