So where was Broyld? | Syracusefan.com

So where was Broyld?

JoeSU

All American
I never noticed him on the field, let alone touching the ball. Seems strange for a player we expect to be a big part of the offense for the next few years.

Now that you mention it...
With the amount of hype he carried throughout the offseason, his lack of involvement with this team (and the silence surrounding it) is somewhat ominous.

How can such a physically gifted player not find a spot on this roster?

I was waiting for this post...he played,first play, second series.

but dam it,just look how great Gully and Smith played.

They got so much stronger as they game wore on

I have been curious about Broyld as well.. His curve seems to be trending the opposite direction of what you'd anticipate... Saw the field and had plenty of touches for a true freshman in the early going.. And saw his PT and touches dwindle as the season dragged on...

Is this an indication of Broyld finding the doghouse?

Or has the staff started his spring practice early and found a position for him that they are focusing on in practice? Still would seem odd to have a playmaker not on the field, but I could understand if they were preparing him for a more natural position and thus routine leading up to the bowl game/spring practice.

Could simply mean that Smith and Gully stepped up and also didn't screw up their assignments. When guys are playing really well it's hard to take them out, especially if you break up a good rhythm.

Could just mean that the coaches played him too soon and realized it later. He had a lot of pressure on him from fans... maybe they told him to concentrate on next year.

According to Nolan Weidner, Broyld was having trouble with the mental side of playing running back and that's why he wasn't getting on the field. Sounds like they gave him a chance on Saturday and he blew it.

Doesn't bode well for him playing QB.

I hope AB finds a spot on this roster. He needs to realize that in all likelyhood his future at Syracuse isn't at QB. If he accepts this, I truly feel he could have a long and prosperous football career.

If he doesn't accept this, my hope is that he transfers to a school that will give him the opportunity to be happy. Should this happen, I hope the decision is made sooner rather than later so we can free up his scholarship.

Here's my conspiracy theory - the bowl practice reps were spent at QB.
Fact or conjecture?
I would think he might be given a chance during the open competition for QB during the spring.

I was surprised that Broyld wasn't at least getting carries at the end of the game when we had it locked up. I would have liked to see more backups in the game to close it out just to give them a little experience & so they could say "Hey, I played in a bowl game!"

I (obviously) hadn't noticed him on the field for that single play. It must have really put him in Hackett's/Marrone's doghouse - perhaps a perceived lack of effort? Despite the success Smith and Gulley were having, I would have thought there were situations where Broyld would have provided a nice change of pace - like the decision to run it on 3rd and long, or the goal line series in the 1st Qtr.

I think the coaching staff will give him more than a fair chance to prove himself at whatever position he feels suited.

But if he chooses to pursue the QB position, he should be prepared to spend alot of time buried as 3rd deep in the depth chart and see nearly zero field time. This offense seems tailored to a pocket QB, not a "slash" qb.

I (obviously) hadn't noticed him on the field for that single play. It must have really put him in Hackett's/Marrone's doghouse - perhaps a perceived lack of effort? Despite the success Smith and Gulley were having, I would have thought there were situations where Broyld would have provided a nice change of pace - like the decision to run it on 3rd and long, or the goal line series in the 1st Qtr.

I don't think it's a lack of effort on AB's part. It's a steep learning curve, and it's just taking him a little longer to catch on.

There might have been a few packages designed for AB, but they weren't called upon. Besides, the other two kids were blowing it up.

According to Nolan Weidner, Broyld was having trouble with the mental side of playing running back and that's why he wasn't getting on the field. Sounds like they gave him a chance on Saturday and he blew it.

Doesn't bode well for him playing QB.
I don't get how anyone can say he got a chance on Saturday and blew it, unless you mean in practice. It's hard to "blow it" when "it" is one play in which you don't even get the ball.

I don't get how anyone can say he got a chance on Saturday and blew it, unless you mean in practice. It's hard to "blow it" when "it" is one play in which you don't even get the ball.
What he does when he gets the ball hasn't been the problem (except for his one fumble). See the earlier post (other thread) about him missing a block on the play he was in for. I didn't notice but if true, maybe that demonstrated to the staff that he's still lacking on the mental (focus) side.

That whiff led to Nassib taking a shot, Stevens almost fumbling, and WVU almost having a TD.

He is a major liability in the passing game.

That whiff led to Nassib taking a shot, Stevens almost fumbling, and WVU almost having a TD.

He is a major liability in the passing game.

Speaking of Stevens, I saw his whiff as well.

What you can say about Broyld (QB in high school who won a state championship) in his first year at SU-- good enough to convert to #3 RB as a frosh, get some carries, make some plays.
What you can say about Kinder, Hunt, Loeb -- Loeb has been good enough to be a holder on kicks, be #2 on the depth chart, throw 3 passes in 3 years. Hunt can run the scout team.
What you can say about Nassib, Smith, Gulley in their first year at SU --kept the bench warm.

My point -- way too early to judge what Broyld can do as a QB in the Spring. None of the other QB candidates has proved anything much. None of our top play-makers in the backfield this year (not including Lemon & Sales as WRs) did much as frosh. Same for Wales and Stevens.

I really think its best for him to go to another school, this staff messed up blowing his freshmen year rather then letting him redshirt. Don't see any place for him to play with this offense.

I really think its best for him to go to another school, this staff messed up blowing his freshmen year rather then letting him redshirt. Don't see any place for him to play with this offense.
Messed up? I predict in 4 years, we won't miss him a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom