So, who are we going to close with? | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

So, who are we going to close with?

The numbers will work themselves out -- they ALWAYS do.

I think that people need to understand that there will be two more waves of players entering the portal, which will drive an influx of new names. The first will happen after bowl season ends. The second will happen after spring ball, when players are disgruntled by their placement on the depth chart.

So I don't expect Fran and staff to finalize the roster until well into spring. No need to take "best available" at positions of need, if they expect that there will be better options in a month, or three months.
I don’t think we’ll see the “warm body” brigade later in the recruiting cycle. To your point there will be more prospects, there could be some more reclassifications to the 2024 class and every player that was publicly acknowledged that we either landed or didn’t land was a pretty high level target or in the case of the Irvington kids, high schoolers that blew up late. Plus I think they did a really good job distilling the Babers holdover recruits down to the cream without losing anyone they wanted.

It will be curious to see how many more players we get in the door before Spring Ball starts.

The numbers will work themselves out -- they ALWAYS do.

I think that people need to understand that there will be two more waves of players entering the portal, which will drive an influx of new names. The first will happen after bowl season ends. The second will happen after spring ball, when players are disgruntled by their placement on the depth chart.

So I don't expect Fran and staff to finalize the roster until well into spring. No need to take "best available" at positions of need, if they expect that there will be better options in a month, or three months.
Two more waves? Today is the last day for the first portal wave. Some kids may have entered without announcing but that doesn't make much sense for kids on our roster. No reason to wait.

2 more transfer commits this weekend. Still like to close with at least another DT and CB after Duce and Tank. Who’s next? Maybe Barnes can take care of the CB but I’d like to believe 1 of Chappell/Harris/Grimes can come.
Hoping with Erob oficially working full time for us now, we can try and pull in Raikes and Chappell.

2 more transfer commits this weekend. Still like to close with at least another DT and CB after Duce and Tank. Who’s next? Maybe Barnes can take care of the CB but I’d like to believe 1 of Chappell/Harris/Grimes can come.
I’m hopeful that we close on another DT, Barnes, AJ Harris, and Chappel. Now maybe with Duce in the fold maybe we don’t need all that, but I’m still going to be greedy lol. Humes is out there too but he’s going to be a tough pull.

Then besides that, we need more quality starting caliber OL.

I’m hopeful that we close on another DT, Barnes, AJ Harris, and Chappel. Now maybe with Duce in the fold maybe we don’t need all that, but I’m still going to be greedy lol. Humes is out there too but he’s going to be a tough pull.

Then besides that, we need more quality starting caliber OL.
Yea can’t forget about OL.

Kurt Danneker, the Ohio portal kid, would be a good one to pick up.

Do we have a chance to flip Raynor Andrews, the Miami kid who committed to Rutgers? He looks the part.

Mazzccua seems like an obvious home run, but there will be so much competition for him.

Who else is possible that we know about?

Kurt Danneker, the Ohio portal kid, would be a good one to pick up.

Do we have a chance to flip Raynor Andrews, the Miami kid who committed to Rutgers? He looks the part.

Mazzccua seems like an obvious home run, but there will be so much competition for him.

Who else is possible that we know about?
Raynor Andrews signed, he's done.

The Temple Tackle and Mazzccua would be home runs imo.

And I'd really like to see another C better than IIaoa to challenge the Big General.

Last edited:
1000006681.jpg

Interesting…
Nice find Jake. Another intriguing prospect size wise. Currently 6'4 278 so sounds like he could be projected to DT if he came here. Originally from Philly. Was a 4 star at On3 out of high school. Originally signed with Kentucky and transferred to WVU after 1 year there.

1704239991946.png

2022 - Played 3 games at Kentucky (Redshirt)
2023 = Played in 13 games at WVU (RF) 23 Tackles, 6 TFL, 3.5 Sacks

3 years left. Sounds like the WVU circles were pretty high on him.

Nice find Jake. Another intriguing prospect size wise. Currently 6'4 278 so sounds like he could be projected to DT if he came here. Originally from Philly. Was a 4 star at On3 out of high school. Originally signed with Kentucky and transferred to WVU after 1 year there.

View attachment 236063
2022 - Played 3 games at Kentucky (Redshirt)
2023 = Played in 13 games at WVU (RF) 23 Tackles, 6 TFL, 3.5 Sacks

3 years left. Sounds like the WVU circles were pretty high on him.

Those ‘23 stats for comparison, Darton had 42 tackles, 8 TFL and 5 sacks.