So you can add two players… | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So you can add two players…

Offense: Harvey Pennypacker

Defense: Ernie Davis Brown

Because they had the best names.

Tim Green was a great college lineman. Not Freeney, but he could help

A) why wouldn't he? B) they'd have it tailored made for him.
Garrett has completed 70% of his throws. 12 TDs and 3 INTs. Has rushed for 300 yards and 5 TDs. I just don't see how McNabb could do better than that at the college level. Other than those two boneheaded picks vs. NC State Garrett has been basically perfect all year.

Garrett has completed 70% of his throws. 12 TDs and 3 INTs. Has rushed for 300 yards and 5 TDs. I just don't see how McNabb could do better than that at the college level. Other than those two boneheaded picks vs. NC State Garrett has been basically perfect all year.

I think McNabb would be better but the gap between McNabb and Shrader is much smaller than the gap between <insert WR> and Alford.

I think McNabb would be better but the gap between McNabb and Shrader is much smaller than the gap between <insert WR> and Alford.
Rob Konrad on offense, Tim Green on defense. Someone who was a great blocker, and when he caught the ball could take it to the end zone.

Rob Moore and Dwight Freeney

Or Chris Gedney and Dwight Freeney

Or John Flannery and Donovan Darius... or Dwight Freeney

Yeah, but a neighbor of mine went to Clemson, and he remembers oh so well the bowl game when SU beat Clemson 41-0, led by DMac.

Shrader is very good, but McNabb was great.

You're over thinking this. One of these guys was a 4x first team all conference quarterback, 3x offensive player of the year, Heisman Trophy finalist, who went on to be a 6x pro-bowler and the other was turned into a WR by offensive guru Mike Leach and wears jorts.

I am not swapping out Shrader because he's not a weak point for this offense, but to think that McNabb wouldn't be better is patently absurd. College McNabb is instantly the best player on this team and likely the entire ACC.

We play a 3-3-5 so he wouldn't have the same responsibilities or freedoms as he did playing in a 4-3.
He would stunt a lot more in this D which favors his explosiveness off the line. He would create extreme havoc. The same w Kevin Mitchell. It would be awesome to watch.

This exercise gets a lot more interesting if you do post 2002.

Marvin and Freeney are the obvious all time answers to address most obvious group needs based on numbers or production.

Post 2002 I'd take AET and Art Jones to strengthen same needs OR DC3 and Shamarko to add to already strong units.

To the current team. 1 offense. 1 defense.
They have to be SU players from the modern era. (The Dome era.) Who have you got?

I think I’d go with a second impact WR on offense… thinking Marvin Harrison. Give Gadsden a chance to not be the main focus of the defensive backfield all of the time.

On defense, I think I’d have to go Freeney. But would probably also consider a run stopper. Ted Gregory? Not that Darton hasn’t done great. But, I mean it’s Freeney or Gregory.

Who do you have?
Tim Green

Offense - Harrison

Defense - Freeney/Darius

Defense was tough to pick, I think Darius could kill it as the Rover

Jay Bromley and Macky MacPherson.

Bromley is the run stopper in the middle of the 3-3-5. Mac is the anchor of the O’line.
Jay Bromley was a beast in the middle of the line. I recall us picking him up with no offers or limited ones. He came in and impressed from the start. No disrespect to Darton or the boys up front but thanks for reminding me of Jay.

Garrett's stats look nice but he leaves a lot of meat on the bone as they say. His vision is terrible and his pocket feel is lacking. McNabb would blow this offense wide open. I believe Shrader, because of his limitations, sort of holds it back. Not my opinion that adding a Harrison would help Shrader's vision or his throwing ability down field.

But don't mistake this for me thinking he's not having a good season and obviously he's a big reason why they're 6-0.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom