So you're saying there's a chance | Syracusefan.com

So you're saying there's a chance

Cuseregular

Hall of Fame
Incremental progress or as CIL noted its learning how to win. The overall trend line is most certainly and finally heading in the right direction even with some ups and downs each week. For way too many years now with the elite teams on our schedule the best outcome I'd be saying to the casual fans in my sphere is that we at at least had a chance to keep it close, no real shot at actually winning.

I've found myself saying to others already this week that like for the first time in forever that however small a chance we have a shot in this type of game. And this isn't based just on optimistic glass half full thinking, but rather also based on the cold/improved stats against good competition offered up elsewhere by go96 and Millhouse in their posts.

Of course as always it also relies on some good luck, some good bounces, a fast positive start, return of some of the injured, the usual necessity of the turnovers in our favor, and of course the other team and their fan base taking us lightly (they are), mixed in with a raucous loud fired up nighttime crowd, where all of this could finally add up to an upset victory of significance. For once it's a real possibility no matter how remote. That is incremental progress.

I'm channeling my inner Lloyd and saying there is, once again, a chance against this type team. Go Cuse make the biggest surprise headline of the young college football season.

Last edited:
I love & share your optimism. Now let's fast forward to Friday's game thread following our first 3&out....

IMG_1187.GIF
IMG_1189.GIF

IMG_1188.GIF

Last edited:
Incremental progress or as CIL noted its learning how to win. The overall trend line is most certainly and finally heading in the right direction even with some ups and downs each week. For way too many years now with the elite teams on our schedule the best outcome I'd be saying to the casual fans in my sphere is that we at at least had a chance to keep it close, no real shot at actually winning.

I've found myself saying to others already this week that like for the first time in forever that however small a chance we have a shot in this type of game. And this isn't based just on optimistic glass half full thinking, but rather also based on the cold/improved stats against good competition offered up elsewhere by go96 and Millhouse in their posts.

Of course as always it also relies on some good luck, some good bounces, a fast positive start, return of some of the injured, the usual necessity of the turnovers in our favor, and of course the other team and their fan base taking us lightly (they are), mixed in with a raucous loud fired up nighttime crowd, where all of this could finally add up to an upset victory of significance. For once it's a real possibility no matter how remote. That is incremental progress.

I'm channeling my inner Lloyd and saying there is, once again, a chance against this type team. Go Cuse make the biggest surprise headline of the young college football season.
I'll have what you're having

Nebraska hung 63 or so points on SU the year before much like the drubbing SU took last year at Clemson.
Yep - 63-7, IIRC.

That Nebraska team had Turner Gill, Mike Rozier, etc. I thknk they rushed for over 350 that day. The only SU score came late in the game when the NE scrubs were in. Larry Morris (brother of Joe) scored on a long pass from...wait for it...Greg Christodulu (half of the two-headed QB monster with Todd Norley).

The setup would be perfect if Clemson were ranked #1.

I couldn't help but comment on this subject line. When Dabo Swinney held his first press conference after being named interim head coach midway through the 2008 season, a reporter asked him about his conversation with Terry Don Phillips (Clemson AD at the time) about getting the job and whether Phillips gave him any hope of being a candidate for the permanent position. His answer was to compare their conversation to this movie scene where he (Dabo) supposedly ended the meeting with "So you're saying there's a chance?"

What can I say? Worked out ok for us.

Upset was owned by Harry Payne Whitney.[1] The two horses met six more times, including in the 1920 Preakness Stakes, with Man o' War victorious every time.[2]

While it is widely believed that the term "upset", referring to a surprising loss, originated with this horse, that is not the case. The use of the word in horse racing dates to at least 1877, and the meaning "to overturn" or "overthrow" appears to be even older

Our chances of pulling the upset as we all know are very slim. On paper their starters are better than ours with the exception of a few players. When you go to the two deep the disparity becomes even greater. Still upsets do happen and in most cases it comes down to a few common things.

1: Emotion. The intangible that elevates one side while simultaneously deflating the other. This team has passion. They dont quit and most importantly they are led by two amazing competitors in ED and ZF. If we can hang tight and the Dome becomes a frenzy anything can happen.

2: Breaks. Turnovers, calls, and yes injuries all come into play. Two years ago we lost ED. If Kelly cant play or us limited that obviously helps.

3: Coaching. This is one area that we have to win. Dino has to coach the game of his life. Time and personnel management needs to be perfect. Gut calls such as fourth down the same. We need to out coach them just as Shafer out coached us.

4: Trick plays. The first key with a trick play is that at all cost it cant hurt your team. A trick play in my opinion works best when you can afford to have it fail. Not on fourth down in poor field position but more on first down in good.

So if everything goes our way we can pull the upset. Lets keep it close, get emotion on our side and give em all they can handle!

"2-Breaks. Turnovers, calls, and yes injuries all come into play. Two years ago we lost ED. If Kelly cant play or us limited that obviously helps.!

When was the last time we forced a fumble and recovered a fumble?
Seems like it has been forever. Maybe we are due.

When was the last time we forced a fumble and recovered a fumble?
Seems like it has been forever. Maybe we are due.

pitt put the ball on the carpet and also had a couple of juggles and we never got it. we are due.

Upset was owned by Harry Payne Whitney.[1] The two horses met six more times, including in the 1920 Preakness Stakes, with Man o' War victorious every time.[2]

While it is widely believed that the term "upset", referring to a surprising loss, originated with this horse, that is not the case. The use of the word in horse racing dates to at least 1877, and the meaning "to overturn" or "overthrow" appears to be even older
Yes. I knew that. I'm talking on a broader scale. Like other sports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom