So | Syracusefan.com

So

Toga

Living Legend
we are playing against a team whose nickname is that of a native american tribe. Discuss.

Toga said:
we are playing against a team whose nickname is that of a native american tribe. Discuss.
There's a difference between what people call themselves and what others call them.

Aren't their colors brown? I am a little colorblind. Anyway, I think it would be terrifying to play against a team that called itself The Brown.

Upstate said:
There's a big difference between "Chippewas" and "Redskins", right? No one's going to say they're the same thing, right?
I won't.

Todd Gack said:
I won't.
EDIT: To be clear, I also think the Redskins should change their name. It's one thing to call someone a "homosexual," and an entirely 'nother to call them a "homo."

Could someone explain why "Saltine Warriors" is so offensive?

northacuse said:
Could someone explain why "Saltine Warriors" is so offensive?
The argument is before my time, but I'd imagine it has more to do with the mascot than the name (though that's also problematic). A guy with a hatchet? Native Americans have a better history than that. I think the "Syracuse Iroquois" would be boss -- "Irks at the Chips at noon."

Syracuse is in a county that takes its name from a Native American tribe. How offensive is that?!
I don't find the names of Native American tribes to be offensive at all.

OrangeAl said:
Syracuse is in a county that takes its name from a Native American tribe. How offensive is that?!
It's not. I urge all the "this is a made-up issue" people to read Charles Krauthammer's take on "Redskins." I think the guy is a grade-A , generally, but he's right on this -- whether you think the term is racist or not, it's certainly in-artful. We don't call people "negroes" anymore, and we're slowly wising up to calling people "ed."

If I ask you to call me "Todd" (even though my birth name is "Thaddeus") it's disrespectful not to.

EDIT: Here it is: http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...b11eee-374f-11e3-ae46-e4248e75c8ea_story.html

A snippet:

"Why? Simple decency. I wouldn’t want to use a word that defines a people — living or dead, offended or not — in a most demeaning way. It’s a question not of who or how many had their feelings hurt, but of whether you want to associate yourself with a word that, for whatever historical reason having nothing to do with you, carries inherently derogatory connotations.

"Years ago, the word 'ed' emerged as the enlightened substitute for such cruel terms as 'feeble-minded' or 'mongoloid.' Today, however, it is considered a form of denigration, having been replaced by the clumsy but now conventional 'developmentally disabled.' There is no particular logic to this evolution. But it’s a social fact. Unless you’re looking to give gratuitous offense, you don’t call someone 'ed.'"

Last edited:
Todd Gack said:
It's not. I urge all the "this is a made-up issue" people to read Charles Krauthammer's take on "Redskins." I think the guy is a grade-A , generally, but he's right on this -- whether you think the term is racist or not, it's certainly in-artful. We don't call people "negroes" anymore, and we're slowly wising up to calling people " ed." If I ask you to call me "Todd" (even though my birth name is "Thaddeus") it's disrespectful not to.
Ha, this board won't even show "r e t a r d e d."

It's not. I urge all the "this is a made-up issue" people to read Charles Krauthammer's take on "Redskins." I think the guy is a grade-A , generally, but he's right on this -- whether you think the term is racist or not, it's certainly in-artful. We don't call people "negroes" anymore, and we're slowly wising up to calling people " ed." If I ask you to call me "Todd" (even though my birth name is "Thaddeus") it's disrespectful not to.
I just read it. I agree, it is well-written and reflects an intelligent viewpoint.

All this offensive name stuff is just BS talk. I am 100% italian, love my heritage and if there was a team named the Italian greaseball WOPS I could care less.

I cant even describe how much I hate talk like this when people get pissed about offensive nicknames. I mean Uconn hate.

If I were Washington I would have a middle finger extended on my helmet and have Kramer from Seinfeld come running onto the field screaming like an indian like he did in that one episode.

Todd Gack said:
Ha, this board won't even show "r e t a r d e d."

I'm far from politically correct but I'm okay with this. I'm a little sensitive to that word for personal reasons and like I said, I am far from politically correct

All this offensive name stuff is just BS talk. I am 100% italian, love my heritage and if there was a team named the Italian greaseball WOPS I could care less.

I cant even describe how much I hate talk like this when people get pissed about offensive nicknames. I mean Uconn hate.

I I were Washington I would have a middle finger extended on my helmet and have Kramer from Seinfeld come running onto the field screaming like an indian like he did in that one episode.

This reminds me. Anyone remember pro rassler Chief Jay Strongbow? His real name was Joe Scarpa. In an interview, he said he was a member of the WOPaho tribe.

Apropos of nothing. Just wanted to share.

Todd Gack said:
If I ask you to call me "Todd" (even though my birth name is "Thaddeus") it's disrespectful not to.

Will do, Thaddeus

Marsh01 said:
All this offensive name stuff is just BS talk. I am 100% italian, love my heritage and if there was a team named the Italian greaseball WOPS I could care less. I cant even describe how much I hate talk like this when people get pissed about offensive nicknames. I mean Uconn hate. If I were Washington I would have a middle finger extended on my helmet and have Kramer from Seinfeld come running onto the field screaming like an indian like he did in that one episode.
Would you shrug your shoulders if someone called your daughter the "c-word" -- which was originally a clinical term for "vagina"?

texascpa said:
Will do, Thaddeus
Joke's on you -- my name isn't Thaddeus (which normally is shortened to "Ted").

Would you shrug your shoulders if someone called your daughter the "c-word" -- which was originally a clinical term for "vagina"?

Goin' a little too far there, friend, don'tcha think? Don't be such a Richardhead.

How about the Washington Vaginas?
The mascot would be a bit sketchy... maybe not appropriate for kids.

northacuse said:
Goin' a little too far there, friend, don'tcha think? Don't be such a Richardhead.
Not a bit. He didn't have to flex his muscles about how little he cares about the issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom