Solomon and Curry... | Syracusefan.com

Solomon and Curry...

newmexicuse

All Conference
Well, out here in NM I do not get to see too many of our lax games.

And, I certainly have not mastered the nuances's of the games in the way that Jeremy and some other posters have done.

However, a couple of thoughts:

1. I have been a big Solomon fan since the first time I saw him play. He understands the game and has a level of speed and quickness that most players on our roster seem to lack. Great game by Nate.

2. Curry - First time I really got to do some focusing on Brendan. Kid just came up gargantuan in the clutch. He seems to be the only other player on the roster that has Nate's level of speed and quickness. Kid will be a star starting next season and will be a critical piece this year if we are to have any post-season success.

3. Rehfuss - kid is solid, but somehow i think he is capable of more. Last season I was convinced he would be a big star, he has room to expand his game.

4. Lane - Matt had a couple of nice scores. I don't see him as more than a role player, but it was nice to see him flash his upside.

5. Madonna - as I said, I don't get to see too many games. I have heard so many positives about his play this season, but yesterday, it just seemed like he could not come up with a big stop. I will chalk that up to a bad game, since I know he is almost solely responsible for several wins. D in general seemed very in and out the entire game, but came up big in the last five minutes. Gotta play that way for the full sixty. TOs hurt both teams, some from good D, some from careless ball handling.

6. What is wrong with the Desko haters on this forum. Just look at our record in one goal games. Can anybody seriously believe that has nothing to do with coaching. Not to mention that the team did not quit, coming back from 3 goals with only a few minutes left.

Anyways, that is all i have to say from the prospective of a casual lax fan. Would love to get more detailed thoughts from those who are more knowledgeable.

Curry has been a very pleasant surprise. Keep it up!

I agree with you re Rehfuss. I was expecting the second coming of a Powell brother. Don't get me wrong. he's a fine player, but like you, I was expecting him to step up even more this year. Maybe defenses have been keying on him and the emergence of Curry will free him up?

I think Madonna is a bit inconsistent. But the defense hasn't always helped him out.

The concern that I have about Desko is that his recruiting has slipped. If you look at the top recruits, it seems SU is not getting its share. Now, it may be true that Desko does more with less, and other coaches do less with more.

Overall, I think being realistic is in order. This is not a great SU team. Getting slaughtered by Albany and Hopkins at home, and spanked soundly by Cornell just this past week, tells you so. They'll be fun to watch in the tournament, but this is not a Final Four team.

I think Madonna is a bit inconsistent. But the defense hasn't always helped him out.
I agree. We will only go as far as Dom takes us. And to a slightly lesser extent, the D communicates with each other.

Curry has been a very pleasant surprise. Keep it up!

I agree with you re Rehfuss. I was expecting the second coming of a Powell brother. Don't get me wrong. he's a fine player, but like you, I was expecting him to step up even more this year. Maybe defenses have been keying on him and the emergence of Curry will free him up?

The concern that I have about Desko is that his recruiting has slipped. If you look at the top recruits, it seems SU is not getting its share. Now, it may be true that Desko does more with less, and other coaches do less with more.

Overall, I think being realistic is in order. This is not a great SU team. Getting slaughtered by Albany and Hopkins at home, and spanked soundly by Cornell just this past week, tells you so. They'll be fun to watch in the tournament, but this is not a Final Four team.
To an extent I agree on Rehfuss, but he is still just a sophomore. His dodges aren't always as crisp as they could be, but i think you will only see that improve with time. He does have 33 points this season, the lead on the team and I don't think there is much of a question he is our best offensive player.

To an extent I agree on Rehfuss, but he is still just a sophomore. His dodges aren't always as crisp as they could be, but i think you will only see that improve with time. He does have 33 points this season, the lead on the team and I don't think there is much of a question he is our best offensive player.
He just needs to learn how not to disappear at times. That will come.

Some perspective on Rehfuss. My son's college roommate is from Niskayuna and played lax there. Nisky is just a couple of towns from Latham. He knows Rehfuss and said his skills in high school were such that he was shocked that even Holy Cross took him. Now that he is playing at such a high level for Cuse, the improvement in just a couple of years is off the charts. If he keeps improving at even half the pace he has since HS, his junior and senior years could be really outstanding

Pretty sure he was an AA so he couldn't have been all that bad (there are only 4 or 5 from the Albany area every year).

Some perspective on Rehfuss. My son's college roommate is from Niskayuna and played lax there. Nisky is just a couple of towns from Latham. He knows Rehfuss and said his skills in high school were such that he was shocked that even Holy Cross took him. Now that he is playing at such a high level for Cuse, the improvement in just a couple of years is off the charts. If he keeps improving at even half the pace he has since HS, his junior and senior years could be really outstanding

Rehfuss was a Section 2 All-American and I think was named player of the year that year. Had a 15 point game once against Columbia at 6 & 9. crazy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom