Solution for pay to play | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Solution for pay to play

Understand that P5 players are getting $70k plus in tuition, room and board plus a NCAA approved stipend, so the “base” at SU before adding in NIL designated money is probably around $85k.

Have people read the 9-0 SCOTUS decision? It was much narrower than people are portraying.

And free housing and free food, as much as I want, there is a reason it’s called a “full ride”, yeah Sign me up Coach!
Three issues, purely from a philosophical (and pro labor) perspective.

1) While tuition grows exponentially, it is not growing at nearly a fast a rate as the value of the product on the football field. So free tuition, while a perk, has only limited value.
2) Being given something for free to be used at a specific location in a specific way isn't a particularly stomach-able means of compensation, especially when earnings form the same product (football games) can be spent by others in any way they please.
3) What's the value in a free education when it can make someone $150,000 through hard work, schmoozing, and luck in 10 years when the value of someone's efforts today is worth $1,000,000 and they don't see a dime of it?

Can I get a free education as well while I am working that job?
Not while you are playing, but if you make it to the summer without your boss quitting on you, you can take some summer classes.

Maybe a solution is the conference gets all of the money. For example, all revenues go to the ACC including TV, ticket sales, merch sales, etc, just anything related to athletics. From these funds, each school gets a prorated share based on how many athletes they have. For example, if Clemson has 12 teams and Syracuse only has 10 (lack of baseball), Clemson would get a bigger share. From this money the schools have to fund all athletics (coaches salaries, player salaries, travel, etc). This would create a type of salary cap and level the playing field. If schools want to pay coaches more, that leaves them less for players. If schools want crazy facilities, that leaves them less for athletes and coaches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom