Solution for pay to play | Syracusefan.com

Solution for pay to play

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
Players can't benefit from NIL until their second year on a campus. This would severely cut down on players coming and going to schools for pay to play (which is against the rules), while still allowing players to benefit from NIL the legal way and help players who are sitting on the bench to benefit from the transfer to play right away elsewhere. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Players can't benefit from NIL until their second year on a campus. This would severely cut down on players coming and going to schools for pay to play (which is illegal), while still allowing players to benefit from NIL the legal way and help players who are sitting on the bench to benefit from the transfer to play right away elsewhere. Thoughts?
Sounds discriminatory and arbitrary.

Players can't benefit from NIL until their second year on a campus. This would severely cut down on players coming and going to schools for pay to play (which is illegal), while still allowing players to benefit from NIL the legal way and help players who are sitting on the bench to benefit from the transfer to play right away elsewhere. Thoughts?

Other solution. Get better at it.

Other solution, prioritize football back in the 80s and 90s as an investment for long term revenue generation.

Oh, we can't time travel? The next best day to start is today.

Hey, If you are interested I have an opening at my company. The job is pretty physically demanding and will require a 365 day commitment, but can pay great! I'm not going to pay you until you've been here 1 year though, and you won't get paid if you get injured on the job during that first year, but trust me it's worth it!

Hey, If you are interested I have an opening at my company. The job is pretty physically demanding and will require a 365 day commitment, but can pay great! I'm not going to pay you until you've been here 1 year though, and you won't get paid if you get injured on the job during that first year, but trust me it's worth it!
Can I get a free education as well while I am working that job?

lots of jobs dont much yr 1-2- or what ever.. Go work for Amazon you dont get the bulk of yr money until yr 4 and many top companies are like that.. Making NIL work where whatever you offer yr 1 it goes up X yr 2-3-4 would be interesting..

lots of jobs dont much yr 1-2- or what ever.. Go work for Amazon you dont get the bulk of yr money until yr 4 and many top companies are like that.. Making NIL work where whatever you offer yr 1 it goes up X yr 2-3-4 would be interesting..
I didn’t reach job rate with NYState until I was 7 years in. It’s how the contracts are structured

Pay to play is not illegal. It's against NCAA policy, but that doesn't make it illegal.

As for your suggestion, that's already been settled by the Supreme Court. Geesh...

That's a silly statement, as it ignores the fact that all scholarship athletes are getting a major benefit starting with a free $100,000+ education, as well as many other perks. It also ignores the fact that NIL is supposed to reward players who play well for a given school to then benefit from their Name, Image, and Likeness (as the acronym NIL suggests). It was never supposed to be used to recruit players. There also happen to be plenty of jobs where you have to get a specific training before certain benefits can kick in.

This stuff happens in the real world. No stock benefits until year 3. No pension until x amount of years. No bonus in your first year. This is all common practice. Heck sign on bonuses that you have to pay back if you leave before x years. Tuition reimbursement tied to commitment.

If this is commonplace, why should it be considered arbitrary or discriminatory to introduce the real world to young adults? You just have to be upfront and honest about it. If this is arbitrary and discriminatory then I should sue literally every company i've ever worked for.

Last edited:
Pay to play is not illegal. It's against NCAA policy, but that doesn't make it illegal.

As for your suggestion, that's already been settled by the Supreme Court. Geesh...
pay to play is not the same as escalation of pay for x amount of appearances..

You pay a kid 1 million for NIL but you get X amount for the number of months you do the service on an escalating scale i suppose? WHat value do you offer to an NIL if you play for a different school than then when you were offered the deal? Its still a contract.

pay to play is not the same as escalation of pay for x amount of appearances..

You pay a kid 1 million for NIL but you get X amount for the number of months you do the service on an escalating scale i suppose? WHat value do you offer to an NIL if you play for a different school than then when you were offered the deal? Its still a contract.

I'm not sure where you are going with this, but contract compliance is a civil matter between the contract parties. It's not "illegal" if both parties believe they are upholding to the contract. Yes, I'm being pendantic, but I'm not a fan of people saying something is illegal when it is not.

I was wondering if the NIl aggreement that some companies asks of a kid could be written to scale up as the deal goes on to try and entice the kid to stay at a school. Not that it stops much of the bad side of this NIL.

I'm not sure where you are going with this, but contract compliance is a civil matter between the contract parties. It's not "illegal" if both parties believe they are upholding to the contract. Yes, I'm being pendantic, but I'm not a fan of people saying something is illegal when it is not.
I meant goes against the rules-I'll change it for you 'cause that's the kind of guy I am...at least every time the second Wednesday of the month falls on the 14th.

Last edited:
Players can't benefit from NIL until their second year on a campus. This would severely cut down on players coming and going to schools for pay to play (which is against the rules), while still allowing players to benefit from NIL the legal way and help players who are sitting on the bench to benefit from the transfer to play right away elsewhere. Thoughts?
Who will enforce this and how?

College football, as we all know, is constantly changing. What we are seeing now will probably be very different in a decade. Idk what those changes will be, but it’s like a pendulum that just so happens to have completely swung the opposite direction recently.

It will change again.

I meant goes against the rules-I'll change it for you cause that's the kind of guy I am...at least every time the second Wednesday of the month falls on the 14th.

Thanks. I'm one who tends to read things literally and responds in kind.

If you want it to be fair you can put a salary cap on it sort of like what they do in professional sports. So then it isn't about who can spend the most money but it becomes who can spend the money the best.

Why does everyone crush the players? You are worth what you market says your worth.

Schools pay coaches stupid amounts of money. A lot of times they'll even pay them NOT to coach.

The chirping on this board would be so much quieter if we had big time boosters and more and more players were signing/transferring here.

It's only an issue because we're a have-not

Isn't that supposed to be the point of the NCAA? At least in theory.
The court took away that sort of oversight for them. If they try to do anything of that sort, they will be dragged back in quickly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom