Some decommits last couple of days:It's a Flippin thread | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Some decommits last couple of days:It's a Flippin thread

Isn't it good for the kids? Helping to guarantee a scholarship. Perfect example being the Uconn kid who was dumped by Edsall.
No, if these kids are good enough to begin with they will get the offers. It's hurting the kids who are on the margin.

Blackshear decommitted from MSU yesterday after decommitting from Temple the week prior to that.

No, if these kids are good enough to begin with they will get the offers. It's hurting the kids who are on the margin.
How does it hurt a kid in the margin if for example, Palmer leaves Cuse to go to Tenn? It's not as if Cuse won't fill that spot with another kid.

How does it hurt a kid in the margin if for example, Palmer leaves Cuse to go to Tenn? It's not as if Cuse won't fill that spot with another kid.

He talking about the kids from that HS that are boarder line recruits. If said HS is known to have kids consistently flop then colleges are gonna be less likely to take a chance on a hit or miss type of player since they'll be worried about him decommitting and leaving that school with their pants around their legs on NSD.

Definitely didn't have an MSU offer. Whoops.
The worst part is, every year we see cases like this. Kid's just don't understand the process and think something incorrect, then they end up being in a much worse position than if they were being guided properly.

The questions we've seen from kids in the past is astounding, and unfortunately, their lack of guidance is as well.

He talking about the kids from that HS that are boarder line recruits. If said HS is known to have kids consistently flop then colleges are gonna be less likely to take a chance on a hit or miss type of player since they'll be worried about him decommitting and leaving that school with their pants around their legs on NSD.

As a college coach, I can say that is patently false. You are going to recruit a player you like and see what happens.

As a college coach, I can say that is patently false. You are going to recruit a player you like and see what happens.

hypothetically speaking. If you have two kids on your board that are rated, a 1A 1B type situation. Lets say one comes from a school that constantly has kids flipping aren't you more likely to pursue the other kid that comes from a HS that flipping doesn't seem to be the normal practice? Would you hold off from accepting an early commitment and perhaps wait for the kid to get on campus maybe a few times before accepting?

I disagree with that premise. Coaches will always go where the talent is.

Why do you want to limit kids' choices?

I didn't say anything about limiting a kids choices. But when they commit to a school the should be committed. If they feel like they can do better don't commit.

Sure,but when you have a school like STA now where it seems the majority of them will flip why then waste your time unless he is a 5 star kid. If the kid is in the range of 2 to 3 star kid there is plenty of them from schools who teach their kids what a " Commitment " really means. Recruiting budgets are not all like the OSU/Mich/Texas and Alabama range.Kids flip and we all know that,but when you haves flips like what STA is doing it will hurt them. Why waste time and $$$ when their is a pool of talent that is more reliable. Trusts need to go both ways and IMO Harriot might be the driving force here as a I always thought STA had a much better track record than what has gone on in the last few years.

So the question should be,why should a coach accept a kids commitment when he knows that a school like STA under Harriot's leadership has a real good chance of flipping in the last two weeks.It takes time and resources away from kids who never committed in the first place to kids to fill a position of needs when they might play different positions.

Last edited:
Schools don't care, they'll still be all over STA. No way as a non-selector school would I accept an early commitment though. In fact I might not even start to recruit any of their kids until December from now on.

If I did take an early commitment from one of their kids I'd still continue to recruit the position. You'd have to treat it like the spot is still open.

Last edited:
I disagree with that premise. Coaches will always go where the talent is.

I don't think anyone is making an argument that coaches wont go where the talent is because of decommitments. The premise was if a school has an abnormally high amount of decommitments, perhaps even multiple kids who make 3 or 4 different selection across a season, then college coaches might not waste their time with the border line talent from that school when they can fine similar talent or risk/reward players at others schools with less "drama"

I didn't say anything about limiting a kids choices. But when they commit to a school the should be committed. If they feel like they can do better don't commit.
And if they're wrong and have no options? Oh well? That's ridiculous.

If I did take an early commitment from one of their kids I'd still continue to recruit the position. You'd have to treat it like the spot is still open.
Coaches do this already, regardless of how solid kids are. Gotta have other irons in the fire.

And if they're wrong and have no options? Oh well? That's ridiculous.

Huh? I said nothing like that. I said they shouldn't be able to take an OV at another school while committed.

If they are wrong they can simply decommit and go explore their options.

I think you need to look up the word commitment in the dictionary.

hypothetically speaking. If you have two kids on your board that are rated, a 1A 1B type situation. Lets say one comes from a school that constantly has kids flipping aren't you more likely to pursue the other kid that comes from a HS that flipping doesn't seem to be the normal practice? Would you hold off from accepting an early commitment and perhaps wait for the kid to get on campus maybe a few times before accepting?

There are never 1A and 1B situations. In my time recruiting, you either decide you want a kid at a certain position, wish you had a spot for them at a certain position or there is something makeup wise that makes them a better fit for your program.

I have never understood 1A and 1B. If you value speed more, that tends to be a qualifier. It is just so rare to have athletes be even in everything from size to physical maturity to god-given attributes to mental acuity.

A HS that has kids constantly flipping isn't something really considered. It's a school, it's not the kids you are building relationships with. Nowadays, so many kids flip, I am not sure there is a school that has a history of kids not flipping in football.

All recruiting truly comes down to is a coaches' relationship with the kid. You trust you have a better relationship than the people with shinier things to offer. If you want the player, you will pursue him.

Coaches do this already, regardless of how solid kids are. Gotta have other irons in the fire.

I do it as if I had no commitment. I would still be trying to fill the spot with or without the commitment.

Looks like he is a friend and former team mate of Andrew Armstrong.

Last edited:
funny stuff, a kid from newark who decommitted from SUNJ last week, committed to Minn this weekend, and just decommitted from them today.

looking at the SEC numbers again, I wonder how many of the 600+ decommitments on this season are actually coaches dropping the kids vs the kids parting ways with the school

Alabama kid too. Wondering since Saban is still chasing other highly rated DE he was told to look elsewhere or the kid really wants an education.

I was just looking at the rivals 5* and noticed something very intriguing. 24 of the 34 five star recruits are leaving their home states and two of of those 34 are undecided. Both undecideds have two out of state schools listed above their home state schools with significantly higher CB from 2 4 7

Last edited: