Some folks will never be happy. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Some folks will never be happy.

You're gonna get crushed for this post.

I'll get crushed? Are you telling me that I'll be ridiculed for making accurate observations and submitting reasonable comments? Somehow I'm not too worried but thank you for the fair warning.

You're right - it is a long stretch. Probably because the poster you're responding to didn't say what you quoted.
You are so right, let me correct that.
"we will be send packing before the second weekend." (I think he meant "sent" and not "send" but I want to be totally accurate here. Check that for me please.)
Think that might be a long stretch even for the worst of the Debbie Downers and their cadre of dooms-dayers. How's that for making accurate observations and submitting reasonable comments?

I'll get crushed? Are you telling me that I'll be ridiculed for making accurate observations and submitting reasonable comments? Somehow I'm not too worried but thank you for the fair warning.

Yep, that's exactly...100%...what I'm saying. After seeing similar posts for 10+ years on this and all the boards that came before it...

Don't get so defensive. It's a good thing.

44cuse

I might add that when stating ones opinion as fact, there just may be some opposing views. The same goes when actual facts are parsed as "excuses" in a cute little effort to down play them.

I've given up trying to figure out if it's:
A. People here don't see the issues
B. are tired of the repetition of hearing about them
C. you can only talk about good things
Hasn't changed in yrs.

44cuse

Well said. Listen, it's not about beating Rutgers. We are trying to win a Nat'l Title. We are playing at a level below our potential. We need to play better to win it all and that is the bottom line.

People are critical cause they want to win the whole thing. Not just to nitpick a 10pt win at the RAC. We drop a game like that on UNC in the elite 8, we're going home.

Oh, my bad, some people will call that a "successful season.". Yes, 8th place would be special indeed.

Maybe we should wait to "win" the national championship when the tourney starts instead of needing the final game to be played every single time out. I believe that is what galls so many about the "sky is falling" group. There are many ways to discuss/point out things that could be better.

My philosophy follows is as follows.. It may explain why I find it hard to take some "discussion points" with out a rebuttal.

The second coming of Igor or Bluecurtain and proclaiming we will lose if this or that isn't fixed has always sounded like a losers mentality. I have always hated that with a passion as a player and as a fan. I have never bought into having to be perfect/strong in all aspects in order to win. Some win by being smarter, others by being more talented and then there is what many call the "X Factor". Don't really know how or why they win, they just win.

So get a thick skin (I need to do this also), and don't assume diverse opinions are anything more than opposing thoughts. If you have a problem with that then don't post and complain you are getting bashed.

Go SU!

Actually watching identified issues get fixed is a great thing for all fans that know what they are looking for.

You are so right, let me correct that.
"we will be send packing before the second weekend." (I think he meant "sent" and not "send" but I want to be totally accurate here. Check that for me please.)
Think that might be a long stretch even for the worst of the Debbie Downers and their cadre of dooms-dayers. How's that for making accurate observations and submitting reasonable comments?

Why is that a "long stretch"? When is the last time that SU made the 2nd weekend?

Well said. Listen, it's not about beating Rutgers. We are trying to win a Nat'l Title. We are playing at a level below our potential. We need to play better to win it all and that is the bottom line.

People are critical cause they want to win the whole thing. Not just to nitpick a 10pt win at the RAC. We drop a game like that on UNC in the elite 8, we're going home.

Oh, my bad, some people will call that a "successful season.". Yes, 8th place would be special indeed.

Bingo. That exactly right. Playing below our potential. Very good post.

44cuse

I've given up trying to figure out if it's:

A. People here don't see the issues
B. are tired of the repetition of hearing about them
C. you can only talk about good things

Hasn't changed in yrs.

44cuse
The thing I don't get is how a certain amount of criticism of our HOF coach and awesome basketball team are expected, but if you really want to get people upset criticize Marrone and the fair to middlin' football team.

The thing I don't get is how a certain amount of criticism of our HOF coach and awesome basketball team are expected, but if you really want to get people upset criticize Marrone and the fair to middlin' football team.

I gave that one up back in the P days. Agree with you completely. JB can be ripped and criticized, but P was untouchable.

44cuse

Bingo. That exactly right. Playing below our potential. Very good post.

44cuse
Just curious, do you ever enjoy watching SU basketball games?

Face it this team isn't as good as it was This is typical end of year demise. He gets scared and only plays a few guys. Don't you know where this going? Think butler 2 years a go

Yep, just about every one of them. And I've seen nearly all of them for the last 31 years.

Don't see what that has to do with being honest about a teams (any teams) deficiencies.

EDIT: I'm adding this after the fact because I thought about it some more. The actual reality is that there is not much I look forward to more than watching SU football and basketball. But the reality is that I do not enjoy every game. I enjoy watching a lot them, but I did not enjoy watching the SU/UCONN football game this year.

I enjoyed watching and winning the Louisville game, but I did not enjoy the shooting performance.

Enjoying every game is not any form of prerequisite in my book. Not all games are enjoyable to watch.

44cuse

Face it this team isn't as good as it was This is typical end of year demise. He gets scared and only plays a few guys. Don't you know where this going? Think butler 2 years a go

No it's not and this type of post is exactly why people have such strong reactions to talking about anything critical of our DEF Rebounding and half court offense. Because your point is completely wrong. We are 27-1 which is completely different than any other season in SU history.

Previous SU teams would have lost games we are winning. That doesn;t mean we can't be better, but in now way is it even close "typical".

44cuse

No it's not and this type of post is exactly why people have such strong reactions to talking about anything critical of our DEF Rebounding and half court offense. Because your point is completely wrong. We are 27-1 which is completely different than any other season in SU history.

Previous SU teams would have lost games we are winning. That doesn;t mean we can't be better, but in now way is it even close "typical".Hmm we barely beat routers we will see

44cuse

love this team, think what they have accomplished is amazing, and this will go down in my memory as one of the school's finest ever regular seasons . . .

. . . but I will be (pleasantly) surprised if they make it past the Sweet 16 and shocked if they make the Final Four.

love this team, think what they have accomplished is amazing, and this will go down in my memory as one of the school's finest ever regular seasons . . .

. . . but I will be (pleasantly) surprised if they make it past the Sweet 16 and shocked if they make the Final Four.
you would really be shocked? A 1 seed making it to the final 4 really isn't that shocking.

Now that's passive-aggressive goodness right there! ;)

you would really be shocked? A 1 seed making it to the final 4 really isn't that shocking.

It's not anywhere near a given either. Since 1979 only 54 of 132 #1 seeds or 40.9% have advanced to the Final Four.

No doubt. One of the best regular seasons of all time. Regardless of how people think yesterday's game should have gone, it was awesome to see them come down every trip in the 2nd half and get a bucket every time they needed one. That was fantastic.

Why do you see them going out in the 2nd or 3rd round?

44cuse

Why do you see them going out in the 2nd or 3rd round?

because of JB's history.

He has only advanced beyond that round 4 times, and every time he has had a solid, consistent low post scorer who can create his own offense to get buckets or get fouled on critical possessions.

This team, for all its positives, lacks that player. Fab, and to a lesser degree CJ, are quasi-low post threats who can score inside but need help from a quality point guard to get those opportunities. Maybe that will work this time, but I seriously doubt it.
first, because they have not locked up a 1 seed yet and second, because even if they do, I think they are a flawed, smoke-and-mirrors 1 seed.

I hope I turn out to be very, very wrong

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom