Some folks will never be happy. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Some folks will never be happy.

because of JB's history.

He has only advanced beyond that round 4 times, and every time he has had a solid, consistent low post scorer who can create his own offense to get buckets or get fouled on critical possessions.

This team, for all its positives, lacks that player. Fab, and to a lesser degree CJ, are quasi-low post threats who can score inside but need help from a quality point guard to get those opportunities. Maybe that will work this time, but I seriously doubt it.

first, because they have not locked up a 1 seed yet and second, because even if they do, I think they are a flawed, smoke-and-mirrors 1 seed.

I hope I turn out to be very, very wrong
what other teams do you root for?

what other teams do you root for?

Why do people insist on responding to honest criticism like this? Not everyone looks at something and sees it the same way. Some people see the path to opportunity others see the roadblocks standing in the way of opportunity. It doesn't make him less a fan.

It's not anywhere near a given either. Since 1979 only 54 of 132 #1 seeds or 40.9% have advanced to the Final Four.
because of JB's history.

He has only advanced beyond that round 4 times, and every time he has had a solid, consistent low post scorer who can create his own offense to get buckets or get fouled on critical possessions.

This team, for all its positives, lacks that player. Fab, and to a lesser degree CJ, are quasi-low post threats who can score inside but need help from a quality point guard to get those opportunities. Maybe that will work this time, but I seriously doubt it.

first, because they have not locked up a 1 seed yet and second, because even if they do, I think they are a flawed, smoke-and-mirrors 1 seed.

I hope I turn out to be very, very wrong
You are really negative. Do you also root for the Bills by chance?

because of JB's history.

I wish I hadn't asked the question (I'm only half kidding). I'm with you on the post scoring. It's a realistic response regardless of how much I wish it wasn't true. Not sure I can name the last back to the basket bucket we have scored in the post.

I really like this team as well. This is absolutely irrational (which is not my style), but for some reason my belief is that this teams chemistry and desire to win for each other will continue to carry it. Far. The rational side of me sees things differently.

44cuse

Why do people insist on responding to honest criticism like this? Not everyone looks at something and sees it the same way. Some people see the path to opportunity others see the roadblocks standing in the way of opportunity. It doesn't make him less a fan.
Honest criticism is one thing. It doesn't seem like it.

Honest criticism is one thing. It doesn't seem like it.
do you really think I am being dishonest?

I have strong opinions, not all of them are flattering, but I don't think many of our fellow posters would question either my honesty or my loyalty to the Orange.

This team earned it's seeding, they don't deserve a smoke and mirrors label.

do you really think I am being dishonest?

I have strong opinions, not all of them are flattering, but I don't think many of our fellow posters would question either my honesty or my loyalty to the Orange.
ok . Not trying to insult you, I'm just trying to see why you feel so strongly.

Well, I suppose it must be challenging at times to maintain that status of board enigmatic contrarian. I mean, people come to expect it, and you sure as hell don't want to let them down!
:)

love this team, think what they have accomplished is amazing, and this will go down in my memory as one of the school's finest ever regular seasons . . .

. . . but I will be (pleasantly) surprised if they make it past the Sweet 16 and shocked if they make the Final Four.
Moqui - I agree with your first paragraph. Not with your subsequent posts on the reasons however.

First, this regular season is becoming special. I think it is a case of major overachievement. I think UConn and LVille have more talent on their squads. This team has no post, no special 3 pt shooter, and serious rebounding issues. The "dude" is Waiters and he is really a one trick pony of trying to take it to the hole, and apposing teams have caught on. Yet they keep winning.

This team would be lucky to be in the top ten talentwise of JBs era. Yet this flawed team has set the record for starts, taken down both Pitt and Lville. Zeroing in on a big east title. And now has its sights on a number 1 seed. Yet this team would be lucky to split a 10 game series with last years squad. That squad had RJ in the post.

However, with a 1 seed, I would not be surprised with an elite 8 run. They would get easier opponents and hopefully good locations to play. It's a huge benefit to this overachievement.

The downside to me are the expectations many others seem to have. Winning the close games aren't enough. People will then regularly point out that we lost the rebounding battle and didn't shoot well from outside - and how you can't do that and go far in the tourney. Well, unfortunately, that is the team we have this year. And to me, it's amazing that they are able to do that and keep winning regular season games.

love this team, think what they have accomplished is amazing, and this will go down in my memory as one of the school's finest ever regular seasons . . .

. . . but I will be (pleasantly) surprised if they make it past the Sweet 16 and shocked if they make the Final Four.

I dont see it. Take the rebounding issues away. We are just not turning the ball over. We are averaging 10.5 turnovers a game and forcing 17.2. That's a 6.6 difference. In fact in our last 10 big east games we are averaging just a mere 8.9 turnovers a game. That is unreal. Then throw in the 10 steals per game and 7 blocks a game. You HAVE to factor that into the conversation of the "poor" defensive rebounding.

You know what worries me more than the rebounding? Outside shooting. This keeps me up at night. Screw the rebounding. We need to make shots. If we do we would beat 1991 UNLV.

This team is hungry and smells blood and if they win their last 3 games (which I think we do) look the F out.

I dont see it. Take the rebounding issues away. We are just not turning the ball over. We are averaging 10.5 turnovers a game and forcing 17.2. That's a 6.6 difference. In fact in our last 10 big east games we are averaging just a mere 8.9 turnovers a game. That is unreal. Then throw in the 10 steals per game and 7 blocks a game. You HAVE to factor that into the conversation of the "poor" defensive rebounding.

You know what worries me more than the rebounding? Outside shooting. This keeps me up at night. Screw the rebounding. We need to make shots. If we do we would beat 1991 UNLV.

This team is hungry and smells blood and if they win their last 3 games (which I think we do) look the F out.

I agree. The rebounding can be made up for. Boeheim's teams have been overcoming that weakness for much of my lifetime.

But a team without a good three-point shooter will always be at risk of losing a game. Our half-court offense is limited as is; without a guy who's a sure thing to hit his open 22-footers, it's even more shaky.

Hopefully our side of the bracket is stacked with transition teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom