Some Negatives | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Some Negatives

Pass the pee and punch. The team has plenty to learn and time is running short.

Send a Christmas card to
300 Renaissance Center
Detroit MI 48243

I must have watched a reply of some other Cuse-UConn game. I thought they'd played just great against a hungry, talented team that played very well. I'll see if I can find the game you saw when it's put in the archive.

9. Still haven't found the Higgs boson.
10. Have not yet figured out a way to safely dispose of hydraulic fracturing waste.
11. Unemployment is still around 8.5%.
12. No progress whatsoever on establishing a moonbase.

Take off your orange-colored glasses, sheeple. This team has a lot of room for improvement.

I feel really sorry for Syracuse fans who have to nitpick after a 18 point win when we're 25-1 and in line for the #1 overall seed in this year's tourney.

Get a grip. If you can't enjoy winning 25 of of your first 26 games to start a season because you're worried about March, go be a Pitt fan.

It works for them.

Swish, whattya do if your kid spills the milk? Slap him?

My favorite part was complaining abt Kjo not reacting to a TO they way you woulda liked him to. What should he do? Slam his fist into tge scorers table? Kick someone in the first row? Its basketball bro. He plays it everyday of his life. He's not gonna go on suicide watch for one TO.

Of course youre prolly one of the posters who was wishing every one of our players away via transfer after last season. We get it the team is not perfect and there are ways to constructively post those things. You sound like a cry baby.

Swish, whattya do if your kid spills the milk? Slap him?

My favorite part was complaining abt Kjo not reacting to a TO they way you woulda liked him to. What should he do? Slam his fist into tge scorers table? Kick someone in the first row? Its basketball bro. He plays it everyday of his life. He's not gonna go on suicide watch for one TO.

Of course youre prolly one of the posters who was wishing every one of our players away via transfer after last season. We get it the team is not perfect and there are ways to constructively post those things. You sound like a cry baby.

Wow, I guess the old slam down with negative references to one's parenting skills qualifies as a "good post".

Your "ways to constructively post .." made me think of other posters who have said things like "so and so does not deserve his scholarship", etc. I wondered if I had written anything even on the same continent as that kind of comment. Just to be sure, I reread my post. I had not.

Saying you don't like someone's shot selection is OK, it really is. Between Fair and KJO, I commented on literally 3 plays total. Fab was out of sorts in the 2nd. I was off base on Scoop's shot selection and the team's overall tude. My bad. Since I did not personally attack anyone, I'm sure the team will survive. We played hard and are monsters on D. I think we can do a lot better on O, and we probably have to if we want a nice tourney run.

Unfortunately, when you team is 25-1, the "nothing to lose-ness" gets left at the door.

Syracuse fans are truly unique, imho. They find every single fault with a 25-1 basketball start but on the other hand manage to convince themselves that all it will take is a facilities improvement and going to the ACC to transform a lousy football team into a redux of the Orange football from the late 80s through the mid-90s. :crazy:

Cheers,
Neil

For some fans, its hard to celebrate any regular season success. We've seen this story so many times...with March dissapointment shortly on its heels.

I think Swish may be anticipating a round of 32 or Sweet 16 come-uppance...which seems to be what we probably should expect from a JB team.
I believe you nailed the psychology of it as I ascribe to it myself at times. One really wants to go all in, but its after you get dumped by that real hot gal, the next hot one you get, you are always looking for the signs that you are getting greased again. Tell you, 64 out of 300 plus make the cut, of those left 63, end their seasons with towels over their faces. What we are trying to do is not easy, not easy at all, and we want , oh so much, to see the sign here in February that will guarantee the result we want in April. Each early hoisted 3, fumble out of bounds, offensive rebound given up, makes our easily bruised SU-psyche see nothing but tears ahead. I actually had a guy at work tell me he quit watching SU hoops years ago because after (paraphrasing) investing a season and letting them suck him in, they invariably let him down. If only we could teach ourselves to sit back and enjoy the ride. 2010 ended badly but there was a lot of good memories produced that year.

I must have watched a reply of some other Cuse-UConn game. I thought they'd played just great against a hungry, talented team that played very well. I'll see if I can find the game you saw when it's put in the archive.
I felt good was when I saw how talented Boatright , Lamb , and Drummond were (and were "playing talented") and at no time did I feel we were not in control.

Hey, if people take this as peeing in their punch bowl, then I am sorry (for you). I promise the punch and pee are just sugar free lemonade. You can choose to call it punch, or pee, whatever you want. Everything I wrote, and everything the hippy go skippies write, all the same. Sugar free lemonade. It does not matter if I spend a year mixing it with sugar, some are just going to call it pee. I do not think I have EVER once publicly shamed or ridiculed an individual here. Think about that. I am not a sycophat either. I do appreciate funny, original, and objective posters, and don't care if they are positive or negative.

I am anticipating an elite 8 or final 4, honestly. We will out athlete (Marathon Oil) the 1st round, UConn the 2nd round, Florida the 3rd round, and ND the 4th round. Which w/ Fab, could go either way.

I am very intrigued by what could happen if the "2nd 5" of Triche, MCW, JS, Rak, and BMK, and the "1st 4" (of Fab, CJ, Dion, Scoop) can all fire on all cylinders in the same game. I see no reason why it cannot happen. I am concerned that Triche is now in the 2nd 5. I am also concerned that JB is yelling at MCW for things he ignores about Scoop, that JS is single threaded, that BMK just reaches and fouls, and Rak is becoming a non-factor. Fab had a poor game today. If that happens in the round of 32, or whenever, all bets are off.

Yes, I did celebrate the win. With my dog. Then, I came here to post my thoughts on things I don't like. I've posted about the triple lindy shots before. Hate 'em.
I thought Fab was ok, just Drummond played really well. Drummond may have played well because he actually is good, not necessarily because Fab played bad.

We won by 20! Rah, rah, sis boom bah. Is that superfanny enough?

Great, now that that is out of the way, in no particular order:
  1. The circus shots are fun when they go in, but torture when they don't. Are they really necessary? Do they somehow define SU; the run and gun, treated like an undisciplined NBA team, anything goes, the more tickets it sells the better? In the lat 8 mins, Dion had a nice drive into a crowded lane. He had two men blocked off to his left, one trailing him, but still had what could have been a good shot attempt with his right hand. Instead, he tried some kind of windmill motion, under and up finger roll. His shot went straight towards the underside of the rim, but never even made it to the rim. Scoops 3s are nice when they go in, but one was an off balance fade away, and the other was a scissor kick shot put. We are not that far removed from shooting around 20% from 3. One thing I like about Duke is every shot from their guards is perfect form.
  2. Non-chalance. We seriously out-manned UConn skill wise, but they were seriously mas macho on the court. We started this season playing with more grit and intensity than many other Cuse teams. We used to play like we had a chip on our shoulders. Yet now we play like we are mesmerized by our lauded spot in the polls. We have a "ho hum wake me up in the F4 attitude".
  3. Fab's fouls. He was really out of sorts in the 2nd half. I'm sure it is a temporary, hangover induced thing, but what a day to return to freshman form.
  4. JS: nice three. Yet, I wonder if he understands the offense does not center around him. Especially with Fab, KJo, and Dion on the court. You can argue whether his 3s are good or not...he can shoot over anybody and is always 25 feet from the hoop, so arguably all of his shots are "good". However, he often jacks them up 3 seconds into the possession. Those are bad, momentum killing shots.
  5. Non-chalance Kris Joseph...really just that one turnover comes to mind. It was just so pathetically avoidable, yet he turns around and walks down the court like it doesn't make a difference. I wish we would relegate our TOs to ones where the defense does something to us.
  6. Higgins. Really terrible calls today.
  7. Fair got lost on D a few times.
  8. The fact that some pollyanna will trumpet this as a reason for the pay board.
We have survived so much this season. From Fine, to Fab. The hottest fire forges the strongest steal, or whatever the saying is. Yet, there is a certain lack of cohesion about how we're playing. It's as if we are on a remarkable survival streak, and not day, by day, getting better and better. We're clearly not falling apart, but I don't feel that we are gelling. Triche, Keita, and Southerland are getting lost in the shuffle. Dare I say Fair?

Maybe I just need to take a step back and enjoy the ride. This season just feels like it should be a special one. Yet, nothing less than the elite 8, for this squad, should be considered special.

Swish,

I hope the Sunshine State is treating you well. As a friend, I think you are over reacting a bit. Uconn played about as well as they can today. They know how to attack our zone and did it very well today. As for your points:

1. We shot 59% from the floor.

2. We won by 18 and came up big at crunch time. At 6:26 we were up by 2 and finished on a 22-6 run.

3. I have to agree that I worry about Fab and fouls. He is a big man and bangs inside, he is going to collect fouls. However, he is light years ahead of last year in this regard.

4. JS is a shooter. Despite his poor marksmanship lately I am sure that he is told to shoot. Ironically, he is getting more minutes because he is playing defense and grabbing rebounds while his shot is off. It will come back and he will hit some big ones before we are done playing games.

5. Kris had 3 assists against a single turnover. The team had 9 turnovers for the game while playing at a fast pace. BTW we also had 18 assists. I remember thinking that Kris just walked down the floor after the turnover not seeming to be bothered. If I remember correctly, he made a big defensive play on the ensuing Uconn possession. Personally, I think he has the right attitude, turnovers happen. I don't remember if the turnover was the result of a bad pass from Scoop to the low post.

6. I dislike Higgins as much as anyone but didn't think his calls or non calls influenced the game. Generally, I thought the game was well called both ways. I understand that reffing is a tough job and things get missed all the time. Higgins's obvious attempts to influence a game are what drive me nuts.

7. Fair played a very good game today. I am not sure how you could argue a guy who grabbed 11 defensive rebounds looked lost. Uconn had very good ball movement at times and that caught him out of position. In the second half he was moving up top to trap when their pass went to the wing. CJ swooped in to cover the shooter and deny the baseline. Just and excellent defensive play. Even the announcers called it out.

8. ??????

A lot of people questioned why Triche was sitting against G'town. Scoop, and I love Scoop, was not very good for about 39 minutes of that game. He came up big in the final 6. With us up 2, he hit back to back 3's and the game was over. He and Dion combined for 38 points today. I also like Triche but if there is a big shot to be taken, I want the ball in Scoop's hands (as long as it isn't a free throw, then I want Brandon every time!). Having 4 talented guards who all deserve minutes is a high class problem to have.

I think our offense started to gel yesterday. JB always likes his teams to peak in March and we are on schedule to do just that.

While I believe we can always improve, I think some of Swish's points are a bit of an overrreaction. The one point that has troubled me for several games and that I agree 100% with Swish is the lack of intensity on defense particularly.
Early games this year saw players making quick moves. Too many times in recent games players are a step slow. There should be little excuse for this at this point in the season. This team showed early that they didn't play down to the talent of the opposition like some of our previous teams. While they have ramped up the effort when needed, they can't afford to take that attitude into March. There will be oppostion then that will demand a full effort for the whole game.

I don't agree w Swish on all (or even most) particulars. But I share a bit of the uneasiness about this team. Don't quite fully trust them as fully as eg 2010. It's been a hell of a year. But I don't quite have the same game in game out sense of "they got this" that I did with other great Cuse teams. Not sure why, but maybe some of the aimless/nonchalance streak is what I'm reacting to also.

That said, I really *like* these guys. Easy, easy team to root for as a group of kids.

I thought Fab was ok, just Drummond played really well. Drummond may have played well because he actually is good, not necessarily because Fab played bad.
I thought Drummond played terrible actually.

I didn't see the game (was on the table having an emergency appendectomy) but I've lost the special feeling I had for this team. Unless they showed a lot more teamwork and heady play than they have recently, I'm guessing I wouldn't have gotten the special feeling back even though they made shots. Today, the only thing making me feel special are the shots that the nurse gives me every 3 hours.

I didn't see the game (was on the table having an emergency appendectomy)

That's definitely the best excuse I've heard today for missing yesterday's game. :)

Hope you have a speedy recovery. Emergency surgeries are so inconvenient when they interfere with basketball games. (I speak from experience so I can say that). :)

Just a couple of observations.

Uconn was a pretty desperate team. They had a chance to get back into the NCAA talk with a road win against a top 2 team. I fully expected them (and said this all week) to come out and play their best game in a month. They did and they still lost by 18. I am tired of the "but they were only down 2 with X minutes left". Yea I had the prom queens shirt off and was making my move but I didnt end up nailing her because I was out of my league and she squashed my nuts. We won by 18. Enough said.

Secondly after the rebounding debacle and the way we have been rebounding I thought we certainly took a step (against a pretty good rebounding team I may add) to fix this problem. CJ was simply a beast on the boards.

I think you need to step back and just enjoy the ride. I know you know your and will read what you post anytime but some of the stuff is a bit nitpicking. Scoop three's, while maybe a bit off balance were huge and I for one am glad he stepped up and put the game away. Fab on defense. Eh, he made some mistakes yes but its is third game back after sitting out the 3. He was rolling along and really coming into his own defensively before he went out. I am confident he will get it back.

Lastly, outside of maybe Kentucky, name me one fan base that can feel confident going into the NCAA's of making a final four run? I mean seriously there isnt one. It would not shock me if 0 #1 seeds made the FF nor would it shock me if all four #1 seeds made the FF. The tournament these days are a complete crapshoot. The tournament of 15-20 years ago when the higher seeds usually made it to the sweet 16 at a minimum are really a thing of the past.

We just have to put ourselves in the best position and hope that the teams we play we match up well will. Outside of that...?

Just a couple of observations.

Uconn was a pretty desperate team. They had a chance to get back into the NCAA talk with a road win against a top 2 team. I fully expected them (and said this all week) to come out and play their best game in a month. They did and they still lost by 18. I am tired of the "but they were only down 2 with X minutes left". Yea I had the prom queens shirt off and was making my move but I didnt end up nailing her because I was out of my league and she squashed my nuts. We won by 18. Enough said.

Secondly after the rebounding debacle and the way we have been rebounding I thought we certainly took a step (against a pretty good rebounding team I may add) to fix this problem. CJ was simply a beast on the boards.

I think you need to step back and just enjoy the ride. I know you know your and will read what you post anytime but some of the stuff is a bit nitpicking. Scoop three's, while maybe a bit off balance were huge and I for one am glad he stepped up and put the game away. Fab on defense. Eh, he made some mistakes yes but its is third game back after sitting out the 3. He was rolling along and really coming into his own defensively before he went out. I am confident he will get it back.

Lastly, outside of maybe Kentucky, name me one fan base that can feel confident going into the NCAA's of making a final four run? I mean seriously there isnt one. It would not shock me if 0 #1 seeds made the FF nor would it shock me if all four #1 seeds made the FF. The tournament these days are a complete crapshoot. The tournament of 15-20 years ago when the higher seeds usually made it to the sweet 16 at a minimum are really a thing of the past.

We just have to put ourselves in the best position and hope that the teams we play we match up well will. Outside of that...?

Good post.

And your first paragraph should easily win the "analogy of the year" award.

The '10 team gave us that special feeling. The '12 team did as well, til they lost it somewhat.

I will agree that the '10 team was something special. Difficult to put them above '03, but I really felt like the '10 team was the best SU squad I've seen. This is, it's fun to be winning game after game, but I don't feel that this one is as good as '10 either.

I will agree that the '10 team was something special. Difficult to put them above '03, but I really felt like the '10 team was the best SU squad I've seen. This is, it's fun to be winning game after game, but I don't feel that this one is as good as '10 either.
'10 team was as close as you'll get to an NBA style college team.

For some fans, its hard to celebrate any regular season success. We've seen this story so many times...with March dissapointment shortly on its heels.

I think Swish may be anticipating a round of 32 or Sweet 16 come-uppance...which seems to be what we probably should expect from a JB team.

If that's your perspective, then you don't sound like much of a fan.

And you've missed a helluva season so far.

If that's your perspective, then you don't sound like much of a fan.

And you've missed a helluva season so far.

Exactly. And its funny that the ones who seem to least enjoy regular season success are the ones who get most upset over the regular season losses.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom