Some observations thus far | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Some observations thus far

Recent observations after watching ND game:

1. still too many times a player will pass up an open shot for a contested one (that they usually miss). I get it that they are trying to be selective on shots (which is good) but passing up an easier shot for a harder one will never be good basketball. I'm not sure I like Tyus passing up so many 3s - seems he wants to up his efficiency for NBA scouts - but the team needs him to shoot open 3s whenever he gets them, imo.

2. Chukwu plays like if he ever gets his shot blocked, he will get his scholarship revoked. just needs to go up strong no matter what and let the chips fall where they will. Yeah, it will be very embarrassing for the 7'2" guy to get his shot blocked (probably by a much smaller player) but he's gotta cut out the pump-faking and see what happens. go up STRONG and HARD within 5 feet of the hoop. EVERY TIME.

3. refs were on crack. ND elbows the SU player - foul on Syracuse! SU player barely touches the ND player and does not create any advantage - foul on SU! borderline made me question why I follow the sport.

4. the ND offense was 3 main things: Gibbs wide open 3 from top of key, Mooney elbowing his way to the foul line inside or wide open lob dunks over the "center". I don't understand how gibbs kept getting open looks - that was ND's ENTIRE offense!! literally would've face-gaurded him if i was coach. the alley-oops were embarrassing - but to be fair the team has been burned a lot the past 2 years by players catching at the foul line - the centers just didn't adjust until late in the game. to me, though - those 3 things seem so stoppable - should have been a blowout win - (except for the bailout calls by the refs that kept the game closer than it shouldve been - especially in mooney's favor).

5. I think if you staged a 1 on 1 tourney using the rosters of ND and SU - ND wouldn't have a single player in the top 5 final standings. But it's a team game and ND played the team aspect a bit better to partially make up for the talent disparity. Basketball is a team game and SU is getting it together and improving thus far - I think they are on the right track in this regard.

6. great team win despite some odd game circumstances - no foul shots until deep into 2nd half for SU, 2 centers fouled and 3rd with 4, refs wearing ND underwear, etc... nevertheless, might have been best shooting game of the season. Movement and passing is getting better! I think this is the first game of the year that battle, hughes AND brissett all shot well and scored a lot - when that happens it is going to be very hard to beat this squad...and if Franks gets it together, watch out. this team seems to have a few more gears it can reach, imo.

some observations after Louisville game:
  1. Hughes footwork on his 3's is huge to whether he makes or misses. when he gets his feet set and can launch his weight into the shot - he makes a ton. if he doesnt get his legs into the shot he usually misses. i know its obvious but just noticed it. also when he doesnt stay vertical on his 3 he misses a lot too...he has a tendency to fade away slightly and he does a leg kick sometimes on his 3s - he misses when his weight is going away from the rim on the 3. when he launches into the shot and gets his weight towards the rim - he makes a high % of 3s.
  2. SU has way too many atheletes who can drive and dribble to not make teams pay for pressing. they should end up with dunks most times that they get pressed. this lob the ball laterally and walk it up the court then settle into half court offense against the press is just going to invite teams to keep pressing - they need to practice a better attack and end up with dunks against the press.
  3. seems the team is finally settling into their roles and figuring what they each offer to the team - nice to see things coming together...defense is still going to be the thing that takes this team to the promised land or not...
  4. frank cant play with his back to the basket as a PG - needs to shake and bake and drive and dish...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom