Some of you are ridiculous | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Some of you are ridiculous

We need to change the name of the board to Syracusegulliblefan.com

People here take everything they read or hear as gospel.

His stock must've been so goddamn high that an average, job half done, work not finished...tenure at Syracuse...STILL got him a NFL gig.

Granted its buffalo, but its 1 of 32.

At least everyone now knows he will never coach the Giants, not my reason why...but oh well.

This guy resurrected our program literally from the dead. We were lower than dead. The NFL came calling. The NFL. The pinnacle of any coach's dream (regardless of the comment he made). If anyone thought he would actually be our coach for the next 20 years then I have oceanfront land in Syracuse that I can sell you. Sure this hurts but this is how sports work in this day and age. Succeed and move on.

I for one wish him well. He is a good guy and I hope that he does well at the next level. Some of you need to grow up and stop taking things so personally.

Yeah you don't know what literally means

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

We need to change the name of the board to Syracusegulliblefan.com

People here take everything they read or hear as gospel.

His stock must've been so goddamn high that an average, job half done, work not finished...tenure at Syracuse...STILL got him a NFL gig.

Granted its buffalo, but its 1 of 32.

At least everyone now knows he will never coach the Giants, not my reason why...but oh well.
Lol, as usual...artfully said.

What was he supposed to say when he was hired? I kinda want to coach here?

That whole dream job comment was tongue in cheek and I cant believe people are so upset over it.
I bought it then and call me naive but I still believe it. I just think it was not what he thought it was going to be, as often happens with dreams.

It is absolutely understandable (and a lot of over the top negative reactions not condonable) that SU FB fans feel the way they do. SU FB fans have been addicted to negativity for the number of years SU FB has lousy. It invaded Marrones tenure here. But now SU FB on the rise and hope springs eternal. Marrone is the hero turning naysayers to admirers. Then within a week or so he hadioses to the Bills! Rumors fly that Marrone is leaving cause the BOT doesn't support the program, donors can't be found, fan support sucks, too much negativity etc. Dreams dashed for many, recruitment in jeopardy, nightmares of another Greg Robinson hire, Gross going too. Anxiety and Depression rule. Now forum members going to war against one another.

You don't leave your 'dream job'

You do if it wasn't what you expected. He was basing his comment on how things were when he was a player at SU not on the current situation. People's dreams change all the time like the saying, "Always dream bigger."

(from what I can gather)

The most important part of your post. None of us know all the details and likely never will. We base our opinions on interviews, rumors and message board postings.

I dn't wish Marrone ill will. That being said since he is coaching the Bills I hope he loses every game. ;)

You do if it wasn't what you expected. He was basing his comment on how things were when he was a player at SU not on the current situation. People's dreams change all the time like the saying, "Always dream bigger."

I don't really buy that. If Marrone is as intelligent as everyone says, he would of had to of been living in a remote distant island in the middle of nowhere to not know or be somewhat aware of just how far the SU program had fallen prior to him taking the position.

And he and his agents were shouting it from the rafters. He was fleeing Syracuse, not moving to the NFL.

My perception as well...it appears he would of flocked to a new NFL expansion team in Edmonton Alberta Canada if offerred. :noidea:

What was he supposed to say when he was hired? I kinda want to coach here?

That whole dream job comment was tongue in cheek and I cant believe people are so upset over it.

In retrospect it was. But hey, if that NFL gig doesn't work out in Buffalo, he certainly has a job waiting for him in Hollywood. ;)

He said this was his dream. Then, he fled at the first chance. There simply must be some level of accountability for this.

Now, the Bills is his dream.

He is a used car salesman. Most everybody needs cars, so there is nothing inherently wrong with used car salesman. They are a necessary evil. Unfortunately, some of us (not necessarily me) believed in this used car salesman.

I define "good guy" differently than some, I guess. There has to be a higher degree of honesty and ethical behavior. He did not "finish the job". He did not handle the exit well (from what I can gather).

That said, he is neither completely unethical nor a villain. Just because he is an achiever, it does not mean he can be unaccountable for his actions. It will be interesting to see who he raids from the SU staff...

Just pointing out BS. If people want to call that "bitter", I cannot stop them. I cannot be too bitter, because I was not always fully committted. It's a wonderful opp to find someone even better, and it is time to move on.

Further regarding the "alumn" and "dream" aspect of his brand, it was consistenly used as a wedge in numerous debates on this board. From a posting perspective, I hope we learn to take these cannards with a grain of salt in the future.

Excellent post...and appreciate your keeping it real approach...

In retrospect it was. But hey, if that NFL gig doesn't work out in Buffalo, he certainly has a job waiting for him in Hollywood. ;)

Sure it was. I cant believe people are upset over that comment. If I was semi-unhappy with my situation, was guaranteed to get probably double my salary and coach at the highest level, adios.

Sure it was. I cant believe people are upset over that comment. If I was semi-unhappy with my situation, was guaranteed to get probably double my salary and coach at the highest level, adios.

Fair enough. However, your Academy Award speil & performance would now appear a heck of a more insincere...

He said this was his dream. Then, he fled at the first chance. There simply must be some level of accountability for this.

Now, the Bills is his dream.

He is a used car salesman. Most everybody needs cars, so there is nothing inherently wrong with used car salesman. They are a necessary evil. Unfortunately, some of us (not necessarily me) believed in this used car salesman.

I define "good guy" differently than some, I guess. There has to be a higher degree of honesty and ethical behavior. He did not "finish the job". He did not handle the exit well (from what I can gather).

That said, he is neither completely unethical nor a villain. Just because he is an achiever, it does not mean he can be unaccountable for his actions. It will be interesting to see who he raids from the SU staff...

Just pointing out BS. If people want to call that "bitter", I cannot stop them. I cannot be too bitter, because I was not always fully committted. It's a wonderful opp to find someone even better, and it is time to move on.

Further regarding the "alumn" and "dream" aspect of his brand, it was consistenly used as a wedge in numerous debates on this board. From a posting perspective, I hope we learn to take these cannards with a grain of salt in the future.

I wish that I could "Like" this post more than just once.

For anyone saying he fulfilled his obligation by bring us from football death I disagree. If he was to return this program to where it once was he fell short by a few years. I don't wish him ill will but the argument that he did what he was supposed to do is garbage. We haven't been in the top 25 for years and that is one place we used to be almost every year. Great 2 bowl games. It is better than it was I agree but not fulfilled.

I have no issues with Doug moving on to an NFL head coaching gig. It's the pinnacle of football coaching and all coaches not named Boeheim strive to win at the highest level of their respective sport. I do have a minor issue with how it was done. Who saw this move coming? I'm waiting to hear from Doug directly on the reasons why he left. And I don't want to hear "because it's the NFL calling" stuff. No , we know that. What issues with the university caused him to flee his "dream job"? I think he owes Syracuse fans an explanation for why he decided to flee so suddenly.

Marsh, we usually agree, but as I said earlier, while I'm fairly ambivalent about him leaving, I can't fault people for being upset.

I mean he REALLY laid the "dream job" thing on thick. And while the CNY and alumni community does not support the program the way it needs to, he needs to shoulder some responsibility for not truly understanding the state of that community.

Hell, he played in the early 80s, right? He saw a LOT of silver in the stands during his days on the Hill. Regular crowds of 45K+ didn't come until post '87. If he was disillusioned I'm not entirely sure what football Shangri-La he was recalling.

Anyway, I'm happy for him to go to Orchard Park and get curb stomped twice a year by my Pats. :)

Marrone is a liar because he said being the HC at Syracuse was a dream of his and that he didn't tell everyone who asked that he was interviewing for a promotion when he was.

Some people really need to take a step back and get a grip.

Marsh, we usually agree, but as I said earlier, while I'm fairly ambivalent about him leaving, I can't fault people for being upset.

I mean he REALLY laid the "dream job" thing on thick. And while the CNY and alumni community does not support the program the way it needs to, he needs to shoulder some responsibility for not truly understanding the state of that community.

Hell, he played in the early 80s, right? He saw a LOT of silver in the stands during his days on the Hill. Regular crowds of 45K+ didn't come until post '87. If he was disillusioned I'm not entirely sure what football Shangri-La he was recalling.

Anyway, I'm happy for him to go to Orchard Park and get curb stomped twice a year by my Pats. :)

I hear ya scooch. Its one thing to be upset its another to take it personally. I am upset because i know we were headed into the right direction but i dont hate him for making this move. Had he left to go to another bcs school i would have been sh1tting tacks mad.

Without knowing all the facts it looks like his dream job ended up being harder than he expected, so he decided to give up and quit.

That's why I think it may be for the best to hire a new staff. The guy that sold so hard that being coach here and bringing us to great heights was all he ever wanted decided he wasn't going to be given enough to do it.

So we expect as fans that one of his underlings will have what it takes, and that the University and community will decide to give them what they need?

I don't see that ending well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom