Some People Aren't Going to Like Hearing This... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Some People Aren't Going to Like Hearing This...

He had a bunch more. It wasn't a great game - but he still made more than a few nice throws deep. And that particular play was really nice - looked left, went to his 2nd option and pulled the trigger very quickly.

Be dismissive if you want - but I'll look for signs that he's getting better. And that was one.
you can do that exercise for every qb on earth.

his ranking adj yards per attempt is worse than the 2002-2011 average. Hell I left out our one good year so that wouldn't skew it

He's worse than the average of Nunes, Anderson, Patterson, Robinson, Dantley, Paulus, Pre senior Nassib.

you can do that exercise for every qb on earth.

his ranking adj yards per attempt is worse than the 2002-2011 average. Hell I left out our one good year so that wouldn't skew it

He's worse than the average of Nunes, Anderson, Patterson, Robinson, Dantley, Paulus, Pre senior Nassib.

What exactly are you trying to prove? The question was about accuracy. I said his deep ball to Lewis was an example about having hope that his accuracy is improving. Yards per attempt is a stat that is controlled, more than any other by the OC.

Not one of those QB's you mentioned could run like Hunt (maybe Nunes when he was running for his life). Proving his relative worth by yards per attempt in this offense is misleading at best.

That pass to Ben Lewis over the LB and under the safety - in stride - begs to differ.
He did hit him in stride, but the ball was a wobbler. Hunt really struggles with slants. Even the ones he connects on are rarely clean.

What exactly are you trying to prove? The question was about accuracy. I said his deep ball to Lewis was an example about having hope that his accuracy is improving. Yards per attempt is a stat that is controlled, more than any other by the OC.

Not one of those QB's you mentioned could run like Hunt (maybe Nunes when he was running for his life). Proving his relative worth by yards per attempt in this offense is misleading at best.
yes, i know hunt is a good runner. that has less to do with accuracy than yards per attempt does.

Hunt is 83rd in the country in completion percentage. Considering how many of his attempts are essentially runs in the coaches minds, this is atrocious and isn't encouraging. In fact his ranking in this category is considerably worse than last year

There you go - that's the right stat.

Must be rusty on Monday morning ;).

I'm still not sure how him throwing deep and completing a bunch of throws in the 2nd half vs a top 25 defense is somehow discouraging. I stand by my point that the throws (even the wobblers) were good reads and an encouraging sign. Unless you have access to future completion percentage - my point stands.

He did hit him in stride, but the ball was a wobbler. Hunt really struggles with slants. Even the ones he connects on are rarely clean.

Thought the same thing. But the ball got there - and the read was correct.

I'm still not sure how him throwing deep and completing a bunch of throws in the 2nd half vs a top 25 defense is somehow discouraging. I stand by my point that the throws (even the wobblers) were good reads and an encouraging sign. Unless you have access to future completion percentage - my point stands.
i'm encouraged that maybe they'll start throwing downfield more. some inaccurate passers are ok at throwing downfield. some accurate passers are bad at throwing downfield.

if you throw 38 times, you're probably going to have some decent throws. (unless you're ej manuel)

I know add it to the list but I find it frustrating that when we need the third down or even in the red zone it seems like we continue to throw it short of the chains and force our guys to try to make a play. I know this is both a QB decision and running a shallow route but we need to make the passes that are completed count!

Very few teams have talent that good, unfortunately SU has 3 teams like that on their schedule this year.
There are at least 3 of those teams on each of the 2015, 2016 & 2017 schedules as well.

That pass to Ben Lewis over the LB and under the safety - in stride - begs to differ.

You can always point to a pass here or there that was put right on the money. Hunt actually had a few of those Saturday night. Then he had several that were poorly delivered. Consistency is the hallmark of a solid QB. Maybe not fair to compare Hunt to Golson right now but look at the throws Golson delivered. Nearly all of them were right where they needed to be.

Hunt is 83rd in the country in completion percentage. Considering how many of his attempts are essentially runs in the coaches minds, this is atrocious and isn't encouraging. In fact his ranking in this category is considerably worse than last year

Where the accuracy, or lack thereof, really shows up is down in the red zone. That's where a QB has to fit the ball into tighter windows-not Hunt's strength.

The downfield throws were nice, the short swing passes 4 feet over WR/RB's in the flat were not. He has the ability to make throws, the inconsistency is what is maddening and is what leads to drives stalling. I literally feel like I'm watching Ryan Nassib circa 2010 this season. The key is going to be Hunt being extremely accurate on short throws and then making the long throws sometimes, because I don't expect him to make those all the time. I do expect him to make the short throws all the time, unless he's got a d lineman draped around his ankles. This offense is built around short passing - if he can't master that our offense is going to continue to sputter just like it has been. The games in which he was good last year were the same games where he was very accurate on short throws - it's not a coincidence, and also where he consistently tuck it and ran and didn't force things if the play wasn't there. I think he's doing an excellent job on the latter - CMU game being the high watermark for him using his legs, and has a lot of work to do on the former.

Sure, there's a reason. We have a dearth of offensive playmaking skilled talent.

I don't know if ND is legit top 10, but if not they're close. They were better on both lines, they had better team speed, and they were able to exploit mismatches [like David Robinson's kid--#88, their big tight end] all game long. Name one player on offense we have that is a difference maker, or who creates matchup difficulties. You can't, because there isn't one.

Anyone pretending that we are on even footing because we won 7 games last season has their head in the sand. Baby steps are making incremental progress toward getting back to the top 25, then beating top 10 teams. We're closer than we were, but still have a ways to go--especially in terms of offensive difference makers.

Agreed. That Fuller kid will be a potential first round NFL pick someday I think. I don't understand why some posters are refusing to see this. Just watching the game you see the difference in speed, power, physique, etc between ND and SU. To also say that we were in the game is a fallacy as well. They had what? 4 or 5 turnovers and won comfortably? We had some garbage time yardage, a punter who made arguably the best big play of the game, and a couple of GREAT Hunt fades that took an absolutely perfect throw to fit it in there since the coverage was so good. Our secondary was embarrassed again. Whigham and the others were blatantly holding onto the front collars of ND jerseys for dear life all day.

We're pretty even with the peer teams with Maryland though obviously having more playmakers. Hopefully we can take care of the teams that should be W's. I feel better about Pitt. They lost to Akron. BC will be tough with their very good dual threat QB. BC got USC with tempo and pounding that run game. Their lead back now is really good. The lack of scholarship depth really hurt USC and wore them out. They couldn't substitute. I think BC will be a tough game. They all will.

Last edited:
Oversimplification much? Regardless, even, even if the DE supposedly knew what was coming, the DE and Gulley had the same distance to the corner. Sometimes you just have to make a play, especially at this level. Gulley didn't..

Is this the play you guys are talking about? This play burned me. Granted my view is from the TV but man I thought he could've beaten the guy to the outside. I thought Gulley made a piss poor decision to cut it back inside. Maybe not. But I really think outside nets him a yard or 2 instead of getting hit for a loss once he cut it back into the pursuit.

Gulley I don't think has the best RB instincts. He tends to not pick up extra yards by being cute.

15963495-mmmain.jpg

Being a good coach boils down to understanding your team and putting them in the best situations to maximize their talent. The sign of a good coach is when they have to break away from their own comfort zone to put the kids into their respective comfort zone. Not sure if its Shaf or McD or a combo of both but the offense scheme, play calling, whatever lacks creativity and imagination. Granted we're getting yards but if you're not scoring then it really doesn't matter.

There were two instances in the 2nd half when we had 3rd and a yard from around their 30. I'm thinking, well, we have two downs to get the 1st so why not dial up a play action pass on 3rd and maybe catching them off guard... which is what you need to do against a more talented team, right? Nope, we run it and get stuffed both times.

We should of had the lead at halftime and then we get to pin our ears back and really go after Golston and see how he handles getting knocked around. They gave us a chance to win that game in the 1st half and we did nothing creative or imaginative to take it. We coach scared and that translates into playing scared.

I am still behind Shaf but McD's issues are troubling. Seems like he sets a game plan and doesn't deviate much from it. Play calling is an art not a science, obviously its nice to have the supreme athletes, but we don't. And the play calling and/or scheme needs to reflect that.

Is this the play you guys are talking about? This play burned me. Granted my view is from the TV but man I thought he could've beaten the guy to the outside. I thought Gulley made a piss poor decision to cut it back inside. Maybe not. But I really think outside nets him a yard or 2 instead of getting hit for a loss once he cut it back into the pursuit.

Gulley I don't think has the best RB instincts. He tends to not pick up extra yards by being cute.

View attachment 26276

Yup. One on one with a DE. Gotta win that play. It's like having a center posting up a point guard.

There were two instances in the 2nd half when we had 3rd and a yard from around their 30. I'm thinking, well, we have two downs to get the 1st so why not dial up a play action pass on 3rd and maybe catching them off guard... which is what you need to do against a more talented team, right? Nope, we run it and get stuffed both times.
OK, so here's the thing - the week before, after those same situations, fans here were asking why we were attempting passes on 3rd downs with short yardage to go and not just trying to run for the first.

So...

OK, so here's the thing - the week before, after those same situations, fans here were asking why we were attempting passes on 3rd downs with short yardage to go and not just trying to run for the first.

So...
a) those passes were not downfield
a2) those passes were not playaction
a3) i don't want to redo my abcds
b) those plays were longer than 3rd and 1
c) you are horrible in every way
d) reread c

SU is a good team with a lot of positives going for them. Are there shortcomings...absolutely. 2 kicks blocked in the last two games, easy missed FG's, no end zone kick offs, No separation by receivers, Hunts passing has been inconsistent, no push or penetration by DL, Tough schedule Maryland 37 Indiana 15 who just gave Mizzou their only loss. Poor execution inside the 30. The hurry up, get ready and wait offense that puzzles the heck out of me.

That said, I'm looking forward to the Louisville game and let's see what team shows up because my feelings are we will talking a whole different on Saturday morning. Again...I see and get the shortcomings but overall this is a solid team that can win or lose every game on their schedule except for FSU and probably Clemson now since that Watson kid has taken off.

Oh and Villanova might be the best team in Pennsylvania.

View attachment 26276
That ND player in the picture that is being blocked by a Syracuse player is not a DE. In fact that player was working to get off the block but he still offered outside containment , the DE ran straight at him knowing this which trapped Gulley and made him hesitate. Watch the play over and you will see that .

That ND player in the picture that is being blocked by a Syracuse player is not a DE. In fact that player was working to get off the block but he still offered outside containment , the DE ran straight at him knowing this which trapped Gulley and made him hesitate. Watch the play over and you will see that .

I thought live Gulley should have beaten him to the outside but hesitated. He hesitates often. Like I said, he doesn't have the best RB instincts. Even so, he hesitates because he doesnt think he can get to the corner. When our 1st string RB can't beat a DE to the corner (straight up) then that's a problem.

Maybe something like this was already mentioned, I didn't read the whole thread, but does Boston College have better talent than USC? Upsets happen all of the time. They usually happen when the better team makes mistakes and gives the underdog a chance. Notre Dame did their best to give us an upset with their five turnovers, but we couldn't capitalize on them.

Completely agree with your sentiment relative to how and why major upsets generally happen. However, we did capitalize on some of those turnovers purely by gaining possession. That first turnover came deep into our territory, If I recall, Colson fumbled at our 10-15 yard line. If he hadn't fumbled there, it appeared very likely that ND would've punched it in for a TD, and an early 7-0 lead. So, by getting that turnover, it saved us 7 points. I believe that 2nd turnover was also in our territory, albeit, not as deep. Same argument there...that turnover likely saved us another ND score of some sort...So, we did actually capitalize or benefit to some extent. I get we didn't convert those into points, but it wasn't like those turnovers happened in the red zone, etc. and we came out goose eggs...just my $.02. :noidea:

So...
Think Millhouse took care of it but I think it comes down to taking a shot in the end zone whenever possible. Seems like we get down inside the 30 and the play calling is designed to get us the FG instead of taking a shot. Did we ever attempt a pass into the end zone in the first three quarters? Coach scared play scared.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom