Some stats | Syracusefan.com

Some stats

SWC75

Bored Historian
Here's a summary of a call I just made to Bud and the Manchild.

An earlier caller had suggested that the team's problem was that Michael Carter-Williams teammates don't like him and are resentful over his lack of punishment for the Lord and Taylor thing. This is what I call "Binocular Psychology". A guy sitting in the stands thinks he knows what's going on in the minds of the players. But he's probably right. I watched that game and thought to myself, "This is all about Lord and Taylor." Right. :rolleyes:

Bud suggested that Jim Boeheim must have gone to bed Saturday night thinking: "Dave Bing and I would have more points that at halftime! What did I just see?" I looked at this page about statistical trends in NCAA basketball:
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/All-time Statistical Trends chart.pdf
In 1966, the average NCAA team scored 77.5 points. Last year it was 68.0, (with 6 three point shots being made per game, so it's really 62 points per game under the 1966 rules). The field goal shooting percentages were 43.6 in both years, (including three pointers). There were 19 fouls called a game per team in 1966, 18 last year. There were 69 field goal attempts per team per game in 1966, 55 last year. It's not about the referees not calling fouls and allowing team to slow games down with their defense. It's about the pace of the game. Too many teams are draining the shot clock and their opponents are allowing them to. SU loves to run but we are too willing to let other teams play 50-50 type games. We need to get more defensively aggressive to increase the game's pace so we can run. We had 4 steals vs. Georgetown and forced an additional 5 turnovers. That's not enough.

In our 8 losses, we have gotten off 44 more shots than the opposition but have taken 57 fewer free throws. The average score has been 59-67. We are averaging 72 points for the season so 67 point should not beat us. We are doing a good job of getting the ball and getting shots off. Despite what it looks like, we aren't getting out-hustled for rebounds or lose balls and we aren't playing bad defense, (the 67 points are somewhat inflated because some of those points were set up by our lousy offense). We haven't been making shots and we haven't been getting to the line as much as the opposition. Some of the latter may be how the game was called, (it certainly was in the Marquette game), but some of it is settling for jumps shots (that we aren't making), too often.

I suggested that the shooting slump was like a baseball slump. You miss some shots, you started hearing about it and thinking about it. You get advise. You change things. The changes don't work. The answer is to go back to doing what you were doing when you were successful and remember how good you were at it. The hits will come and so will the shots.

I really believe the lack of uptempo play this year is directly related to our guards both attacking the glass on the defensive end. You don't see them both peeling off like they used to last year and prior years (think Scoop and Dion). So our rebounding numbers are much better but we just don't get the fast break points any more.

Great analysis per usual. This can be a really good team, perhaps Elite 8-ish but it does seem very fragile. There seems to be no confidence with the shooting. Nothing insightful there but might take only a few makes to turn things around. They can't shoot any worse so I'm hopeful the end of the slump is neigh.

Great analysis per usual. This can be a really good team, perhaps Elite 8-ish but it does seem very fragile. There seems to be no confidence with the shooting. Nothing insightful there but might take only a few makes to turn things around. They can't shoot any worse so I'm hopeful the end of the slump is neigh.
I think there's a lot of truth to this. In the games where they've hit a few for a stretch, it seems to bring more fast-breaks, turnovers on D, better passing, and everything else. It also seems that in games where 1 guy gets hot, someone else seems to as well. They seem to front-running team in that regard -- hit a few jumpers, and the rest of their game seems to get a major lift. I guess all teams are like that to a point, but with this bunch it seems to more all-or-nothing than most that I can remember.

Here's a summary of a call I just made to Bud and the Manchild.

An earlier caller had suggested that the team's problem was that Michael Carter-Williams teammates don't like him and are resentful over his lack of punishment for the Lord and Taylor thing. This is what I call "Binocular Psychology". A guy sitting in the stands thinks he knows what's going on in the minds of the players. But he's probably right. I watched that game and thought to myself, "This is all about Lord and Taylor." Right. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be so presumptuous to make a claim like that.

For the same reasons, I also wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

I really believe the lack of uptempo play this year is directly related to our guards both attacking the glass on the defensive end. You don't see them both peeling off like they used to last year and prior years (think Scoop and Dion). So our rebounding numbers are much better but we just don't get the fast break points any more.

That contributes a lot, but we've also been slowed by our insistence to get the outlet to the point.

If Kris Joseph were to get a rebound (funny, I know), he'd be happy to take it up. Southerland and Fair won't do that. If Fab got a rebound, he'd look for the best angle to whatever ball-handler is farthest downcourt. When Christmas gets a rebound, he waits for Mike (or, if Cooney is in, for Triche).

Seems an odd practice.

Save for a few stretches and games, this team (and MCW) really hasn't looked the same post-L&T. But perhaps that's a function of the competition. At any rate, a team's chemistry always seems better when things are going well.

We average 72 points a game because we fattened that stat up earlier in the season against the sisters of the poor. Now when we face tougher defensive teams it becomes a struggle to score 55.

Save for a few stretches and games, this team (and MCW) really hasn't looked the same post-L&T. But perhaps that's a function of the competition. At any rate, a team's chemistry always seems better when things are going well.

This is true. I can't say it's looked good of late, but we don't know why (other than the losing - that's part of it).

Here's another stat from the two GTown games...

Roland Rating for Grant vs Southerland:

Grant: +4 and +5
Southerland: -14 and -11

Sad to see a decision being made not by how they play on the court.

We have a lot of problems but we don't talk about rebounding much. We give up way too many offensive rebounds. We directly lost to Nova because we couldn't grab a defensive rebound at the end of the game, which ultimately led to the game tying 3. As a zone team, we've come to accept that the zone will give up long rebounds but we're very bad on the defensive glass. BMK catching balls with his forearms doesn't help. Yet surprisingly, we're a good offensive rebounding team.

Nationally, we're #302 in offensive rebounds allowed per game. In the Big East, we're #13 (of 15) in defensive reounding percentage at 0.634. That means for every opponent missed shot, we'll come down with the rebound 63.4% of the time. Cincy, the leader, pulls down defensive rebounds 71% of the time. We give up a lot of second chance opportunities.

http://www.bigeast.org/portals/5/fls/19400/stats/mbasketball/2012-2013/CONFONLY.HTM

http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/opponent-offensive-rebounds-per-game

I wish there was a stat for rebounding probability per missed field goal attempt. That would eliminate instances when a team is shooting really well (less rebounding opportunities) or shooting really poorly (more rebounding opportunities) because I'm pretty sure these stats are based on ratios of total rebounding counts. It'd also be nice to see the historical Syracuse rebounding stats.

Needless to say, we don't have Rick Jackson on the team anymore

Why would his teammates resent him for the Lord and Taylor incident?

More shots, less free throws means more jacks early in the shot clock and no attacking.

I'm not one bit surprised by the numbers.

I mentioned the same thing a month ago. If you check the numbers, the guards have more rebounds than last year, averaging 1 RPG more a game so far. Last year JB complained that the guards weren't helping out on the boards enough, and now it seems they are helping to much. Of course when you don't have good rebounders along the front line, then you need the guard help. The rebounding help has forced them into a half court game just what the DON'T want.

Why would his teammates resent him for the Lord and Taylor incident?

One could think of a number of reasons; I don't want to speculate, but there are certainly some reasonable concerns that his teammates would have.

It's hard for this group to run after missed shots, I think because of our lack of ballhandling. MCW is fine, BT is okay at best, and after that, no one can realistically bring it up. Historically, our 3 (and/or 4) can handle the ball a little, making us a much bigger threat to run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom