Some things we learned | Syracusefan.com

Some things we learned

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
It's wide open for the #2 QB job

Funderburk has stepped up-Broyld's not going to be able to drop a lot of passes and expect as much action this year with the extra competition.

We need more depth at CB-The only healthy scholie CB currently on campus on Whigham and I don't feel confident he can make it through the year healthy. Hate having to really on guys who come on campus a month of so before the season

Is there a chance John Miller starts at C? If so, which G hits the bench? I'd assume Palmer if Robinson comes back healthy.

Converting a reserve WR or RB to CB might make a lot of sense this summer. WR has the largest pool to choose from, wonder if anyone there will be asked to make the leap to the other side of he ball?

Dowels or Hudson are going to have to be ready to play right away. Going to be tough though coming in at 5'9 160. You would think a year in the S&C program would be needed, but they may not have a choice.

I think the 2nd string QB's is Kimble's to lose. Obviously the staff wants a pure dual threat.

Anyways it feels good to be talking about football. Reading the basketball board the past few days has been an equal mix of depression, irritation, and frustration.

AAM is going to turn some heads this year. Im going out on a major limb. I think he ends up playing in the NFL
Does he still have pizza-and-beer arms?

Converting a reserve WR or RB to CB might make a lot of sense this summer. WR has the largest pool to choose from, wonder if anyone there will be asked to make the leap to the other side of he ball?

That'd be nice to provide some emergency depth, but if we're relying on a newly-converted WR to CB this Fall to play significant minutes, then that will be a disaster.

The CB situation is definitely a concern. Basically it's Reddish, Whigham, and Morgan as the top three. They have Jaston George, he's been around for awhile but has never contributed.

Cordy, Dowels, Hudson, and Williams with a great opportunity for early PT

Would love to see AJ Long emerge as the 2 and breathe down Hunt's neck all season after that goofy article.

Would love to see AJ Long emerge as the 2 and breathe down Hunt's neck all season after that goofy article.

wouldnt you rather have hunt cement himself as the clear starter, meaning the team is doing well? i rather not have a qb controversy but to each his own, i suppose...

I think we have the talent at DT and LB positions to be solid, but I am scared about DE and CBs. If we want to stop people on defense will need DE pressure and have CBs that won't need 10 yards of cushion every down.
I think the offense will be improved as we brought in speed to our WR core, and our RBs should be solid. I think Hunt will get better more and more reps at the QB position. It boils down to the stopping the pass better. Our CBs need to be average for a BCS program and we will be fine with Shafer's pressure scheme.

I think we have the talent at DT and LB positions to be solid, but I am scared about DE and CBs. If we want to stop people on defense will need DE pressure and have CBs that won't need 10 yards of cushion every down.
I think the offense will be improved as we brought in speed to our WR core, and our RBs should be solid. I think Hunt will get better more and more reps at the QB position. It boils down to the stopping the pass better. Our CBs need to be average for a BCS program and we will be fine with Shafer's pressure scheme.

I think we will see a lot of Simmons and Sugar Bear this year...or at least I hope. Much higher ceilings, and both give the pass rushing ability that Welsh and Robinson can't give you.

wouldnt you rather have hunt cement himself as the clear starter, meaning the team is doing well? i rather not have a qb controversy but to each his own, i suppose...
Those can be mutually exclusive things. Hunt can cement himself as the clear starter, and Long can secure #2 and breathe down Hunt's neck.

I too am very worried about the defensive backs. I think pass coverage is the weakness on the team.

I disagree on the defensive ends. They were serviceable last year, and the potential for Sugar Bear and Johnson is very high. I expect them to be improved.

The CB situation is definitely a concern. Basically it's Reddish, Whigham, and Morgan as the top three. They have Jaston George, he's been around for awhile but has never contributed.

Cordy, Dowels, Hudson, and Williams with a great opportunity for early PT

Yeah Jaston George is not playing. Some people have always had him as a wild card, which I've never remotely understood. There are better walk-ons. True story.

Keeping the offense on the field longer and scoring points while doing so will cover up a lot of warts on the defensive side. Time for the offense to step it up and carry the defense a little bit, instead of the other way around as has been the case the past several years. This might be the year that happens. Fingers crossed!

Keeping the offense on the field longer and scoring points while doing so will cover up a lot of warts on the defensive side. Time for the offense to step it up and carry the defense a little bit, instead of the other way around as has been the case the past several years. This might be the year that happens. Fingers crossed!

If the offense is run in the way George McDonald envisions it, then I don't think you can expect them to be on the field very long. Hopefully that means we are getting quick scores and not going 3 and out in under a minute.