Some thoughts going into camp | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Some thoughts going into camp

I think there is a typo for us. Should read 2-10 as our "floor," not 10-2. And, 6-6, as our "ceiling." Which makes a bit more sense.
Dude you’re not reading the chart correctly

I think there is a typo for us. Should read 2-10 as our "floor," not 10-2. And, 6-6, as our "ceiling." Which makes a bit more sense.
That is what it says. The column to the left of "Syracuse" is the floor for NC State.

That is what it says. The column to the left of "Syracuse" is the floor for NC State.
I'm not seeing that. NC State looks correct. Each team has floor to the left, ceiling to the right. But, a lot of typos. Like 11-1 or 10-2, instead of 1-11, 2-10 for floors. Tulane has a floor of 11-1; think, that should be 1-11.

I'm not seeing that. NC State looks correct. Each team has floor to the left, ceiling to the right. But, a lot of typos. Like 11-1 or 10-2, instead of 1-11, 2-10 for floors. Tulane has a floor of 11-1; think, that should be 1-11.
Look at the left column, school is first then ceiling then floor.
so Cuse ceiling is listed as 6-6 floor of 2-10. NC State is 12-0 ceiling and floor of 10-2.

Look at the left column, school is first then ceiling then floor.
so Cuse ceiling is listed as 6-6 floor of 2-10. NC State is 12-0 ceiling and floor of 10-2.
Think we are seeing different charts. What I'm seeing is not that. I wonder if it's a browser or android thing.

That doesn't make sense. If that were the case, NC State's floor would be 2-11. No team with a 12-0 ceiling is going to have a 2-11 floor. You're reading it wrong. Look at the very first column. Those teams have no records listed to the left of the school name. All predicted records are to the right of the listed team.

That doesn't make sense. If that were the case, NC State's floor would be 2-11. No team with a 12-0 ceiling is going to have a 2-11 floor. You're reading it wrong. Look at the very first column. Those teams have no records listed to the left of the school name. All predicted records are to the right of the listed team.
The more I look at the chart, the more lost I get. Lots of typos, regardless. Maybe, chart was cut-off somehow? 1st column's floor is waaay on the right.

I love the thought but unfortunately we have not been very good after our bye week(s) lately.
Maybe its time to fix that trend!!!!
I was thinking same thing

What’s the path to 6 wins if we don’t beat Louisville?

That’s what I look at…
UConn, Purdue, Wagner, UVa, FSU and BC is one possibility.

Agree if we don’t at least split between Louisville and Purdue the road to six is tough

The more I look at the chart, the more lost I get. Lots of typos, regardless. Maybe, chart was cut-off somehow? 1st column's floor is waaay on the right.
Noooo. There are no typos. What you see as typos are you simply reading it wrong. The first column's floor is NOT to the extreme right. This chart is not hard to read. From left to right it is: team name/ceiling/floor (column 1) team name/ceiling/floor (column 2) etc. The lines you see are not separating each column. They are separating the ceiling record from the floor record. This is not hard to understand.

Noooo. There are no typos. What you see as typos are you simply reading it wrong. The first column's floor is NOT to the extreme right. This chart is not hard to read. From left to right it is: team name/ceiling/floor (column 1) team name/ceiling/floor (column 2) etc. The lines you see are not separating each column. They are separating the ceiling record from the floor record. This is not hard to understand.
Got confused because there was initial talk about 10-2 or 12-2 for us, or something. Plus, border lines seem odd to me, but maybe, I looked to quickly at the chart.

I hear what you're saying, and yes, the prospects are a lot harder when you drop a perceived toss-up. Unless they look like complete dog poo it's too premature to cancel the season. A lot will depend on how the team gels with the new offense, how the question marks get filled on the roster, same as every year. Maybe there will be good surprises as well. Add to this the unpredictable trajectories of other opponents.

I love AND hate that the opener has relatively high stakes. But we all need to take a chill pill.

Yes, Louisville has quite a bit of disarray to deal with. Getting them in the first game is probably a good thing, despite the high stakes. And a Saturday NIGHT home game is huge. The Dome should be rocking.

No, it was predicting the best & worst possible records for all P-5 programs. No one really knows at this point how the team will do. It's all speculative no matter how any particular team is "expected" to do. The actual results are in the hands of the players, coaches, and fans. I think, when we've had so many bad years that there's a natural inclination to expect another down year. That may well be the case, but it's also feasible that we have a strong year. I was just making a point that some "analysts" expect a good year for SU. I think the players are positive and would choose to support their outlook over a negative fanbase. Glass half full kinda thing...

I was honestly surprised to see that we have 17 returning starters, most in the ACC. Continuity usually helps a team improve - but of course we have new offensive coaches. But presumably much better ones.

We just can't afford to have the offense take 4 weeks to come together. That would be too late.

We have to be competent and balanced (run/pass) from week 1. I am optimistic from what little bits we are hearing so far.

I was honestly surprised to see that we have 17 returning starters, most in the ACC. Continuity usually helps a team improve - but of course we have new offensive coaches. But presumably much better ones.

We just can't afford to have the offense take 4 weeks to come together. That would be too late.

We have to be competent and balanced (run/pass) from week 1. I am optimistic from what little bits we are hearing so far.
I just don't want the Louisville stat sheet to show Tucker had 6 carries in this new offense.

I think they want to get him 25-30 touches a game with a lot more chances to be a pass-catcher and have the rock in open space.

If we can get a 2 score lead, we will run it down their throats the rest of the game. Louisville is not that strong defending the rushing game.

Their own rushing game is only average, after you take Malik Cunningham out of the mix. He was their leading rusher last year by over 300 yards than the next guy.

Their top 2 receivers also transferred out for bigger stages. They replaced them with guys from the portal, but there may not be such smooth communication, understanding of where the receiver is going to take the route, etc., as he had with last year's receivers.

I would put the Rover on Cunningham all game, to take away his danger out of the pocket. Keep him in the pocket and then turn loose our pass rush.

I know they have smoked us several times, but I really feel like we have a pretty good shot on opening night.

DL - I think that Linton, Lockett, and Caleb are almost locks, 2nd string, in particular DT, are the uncertain spots

LB - Starters locked in, completion is for second string

DB - who can stay healthy. Consistent theme is they get dinged up. The corners are set, and I think Carter and Barron are 99% starting. Is Simmons and Coley a camp battle? Who are the guys in the rotation. If you go with the returning players that’s Hanna, Greenwood (both have starts and significant snaps), Folk and Nunn. I think there’s a good chance some get displaced by the three transfers. That’s 13 guys before you even get to the five freshmen, do any of the fresher win a job in the rotation?

OL - 7 returning guys with multiple starts. I don’t think there is any way (if healthy) Vett isn’t either the starting center or RT. If Ellis hasn’t eaten his way out of a job, then he’s at guard. That would give you Ilaoa at C/G and Tisdale as your swing tackle. The top seven guys average 6-5 324. That’s legit size.

Red, ECJ, and Bradford seem the most likely guys to fill out the second unit.

TE - not much to say, Mang and Mahar. They can motion Elmore for two tight looks.

WR - probably the most wide open spot. None of the returning players have done enough to lock up a job. What kind of offense are we going to see? The roster is like a P and D fever dream, a bunch of huge run blocking upperclass men OL, a 286?! lb 6th yr FB, an all American take it to the house power speed back that can run inside and outside zone with great balance, and a big run first Qb that can get the ball down field. If that’s the vision, who’s a willing blocker and can be physical is going to be a highly valued trait.

QB - no drama at 1. I think Del Rio-Wilson ends up 2 and Morgan 3.

RB - same as above, 1 is settled. Price and Allen need to contribute.

Specials - returners are wide open. The biggest competition on the whole team might be punter.
Couple of notes comparing this to Bailey‘s projection,

DB - the three transfers are on his two deep. Only Hanna is on the 2nd unit of the guys I listed. Coley joins, Folk, Nunn, and Greenwood outside the two deep.

No surprises at dl or lb.

OL - minor surprise that Bradford isn’t on the two deep. Cruz and Ilaoa are where I thought they would be. Red, Tisdale, Hoeh, Bradford, Magunson are break glass guys for now.

Hayes and Queeley not on the two deep, may be injury, may be they got passed for younger guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom