Some thoughts going into camp | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Some thoughts going into camp

If we can get a 2 score lead, we will run it down their throats the rest of the game. Louisville is not that strong defending the rushing game.

Their own rushing game is only average, after you take Malik Cunningham out of the mix. He was their leading rusher last year by over 300 yards than the next guy.

Their top 2 receivers also transferred out for bigger stages. They replaced them with guys from the portal, but there may not be such smooth communication, understanding of where the receiver is going to take the route, etc., as he had with last year's receivers.

I would put the Rover on Cunningham all game, to take away his danger out of the pocket. Keep him in the pocket and then turn loose our pass rush.

I know they have smoked us several times, but I really feel like we have a pretty good shot on opening night.
I would make sure that Cunningham cant beat us. Take his running away and make him win the game with his arm

Tucker is going to be an interesting case this season..

He’s obviously well on his way to the NFL

His risk reward of playing this year is what I’m interested in seeing as the season progress.

I would assume, if we go to a bowl, he will opt out

I would make sure that Cunningham cant beat us. Take his running away and make him win the game with his arm

That didn't work so well last year. He only had 7 rushes for 19 yards. But was 13-18 passing for 209 yards and 4 TDs. All but 35 yards of that in the 1st half, his day ended after one 2nd half drive.

Our offense needs to help dictate this game. Last two years we've done nothing against them offensively. And they were the 83rd ranked D last year.

Last edited:

His risk reward of playing this year is what I’m interested in seeing as the season progress.

If Tucker helps us to make a bowl, honestly, I'm fine with him opting out. You almost have to think of the bowl game as a peek at next year, instead of the culmination of the current season. Like seeing Tristan Jackson and Abdul Adams in the Camping World Bowl.

If Tucker helps us to make a bowl, honestly, I'm fine with him opting out. You almost have to think of the bowl game as a peek at next year, instead of the culmination of the current season. Like seeing Tristan Jackson and Abdul Adams in the Camping World Bowl.

Oh I agree

I guess my real question is, if this season goes sideways… does Tucker pull himself? Or does he continue playing to try to guarantee himself a 1st round selection

I think if we miraculously pull off a season where we are playing in the playoffs (1 in a million) I think he plays in all the games

Oh I agree

I guess my real question is, if this season goes sideways… does Tucker pull himself? Or does he continue playing to try to guarantee himself a 1st round selection

I think if we miraculously pull off a season where we are playing in the playoffs (1 in a million) I think he plays in all the games
Yeah, a fine line that he and his advisors have to tread. Sean, I don't think is guaranteed his draft position, so there may be something to play for, even if the season nose dives.

Anyone should be.

Oh I agree

If he helps us get to a bowl and he sits for it so be it. But I don't think he pulls himself mid season. I'm not a fan of that move and i'm not sure NFL teams like to a see player that is putting himself that much before the team either where they shut it down mid season. Bowl game is a little different in my eyes. Just my gut here but I think Tucker would be the type of dude who plays the entire season.

ok so lets review the RBs drafted in 2021 and where Tucker would slot. Would he be in this group
they were all 4-5th rounders. It would take a great year I think to get into this level of drafting. And thats around where a top 7-10 RB can go.. Sean has some nice talent. But he also has yet to show anything more than a 1 burst type runner ability. kind of like Reyes was years ago but he has a bit more wiggle.

6) Kene Nwangwu, Iowa State | R4-P119 | Minnesota Vikings
7) Rhamondre Stevenson, Oklahoma | R4-P120 | New England Patriots
8) Chuba Hubbard, Oklahoma State | R4-P126 | Carolina Panthers
9) Kenneth Gainwell, Memphis | R5-P150 | Philadelphia Eagles
10) Ben Mason (FB), Michigan | R5-P184 | Baltimore Ravens

then look at 2022

Round 4​

7) Dameon Pierce, Florida
R4-P107 | Texans

8) Zamir White, Georgia
R4-P122 | Raiders

9) Isaiah Spiller, Texas A&M
R4-P123 | Chargers

10) Pierre Strong, SDSU
R4-P127 | Patriots

11) Hassan Haskins, Michigan
R4-P131 | Titans

ok so lets review the RBs drafted in 2021 and where Tucker would slot. Would he be in this group
they were all 4-5th rounders. It would take a great year I think to get into this level of drafting. And thats around where a top 7-10 RB can go.. Sean has some nice talent. But he also has yet to show anything more than a 1 burst type runner ability. kind of like Reyes was years ago but he has a bit more wiggle.

6) Kene Nwangwu, Iowa State | R4-P119 | Minnesota Vikings
7) Rhamondre Stevenson, Oklahoma | R4-P120 | New England Patriots
8) Chuba Hubbard, Oklahoma State | R4-P126 | Carolina Panthers
9) Kenneth Gainwell, Memphis | R5-P150 | Philadelphia Eagles
10) Ben Mason (FB), Michigan | R5-P184 | Baltimore Ravens

then look at 2022

Round 4​

7) Dameon Pierce, Florida
R4-P107 | Texans

8) Zamir White, Georgia
R4-P122 | Raiders

9) Isaiah Spiller, Texas A&M
R4-P123 | Chargers

10) Pierre Strong, SDSU
R4-P127 | Patriots

11) Hassan Haskins, Michigan
R4-P131 | Titans

I strongly disagree with your assessment of Sean Tucker and only being a “one burst” kinda guy….

But hey maybe I’m wrong…

I strongly disagree with your assessment of Sean Tucker and only being a “one burst” kinda guy….

But hey maybe I’m wrong…
maybe.. but can you point to a single run where he changed fields, or made a bunch of guys miss? We run a bunch of down hill plays where we burst thru clean and thats great. We dont run much in the sweep game to really show that ability. You can make a lot of runs where you make 1 guy miss and gain yds, but thats not what the NFL generally is about. He has shown an ability to catch and that helps.

Look at our guys who had some NFL ability.. Carter was a load to bring down and had some moves before he got hurt. Brinkley didnt have the elite speed but he had that wiggle in the hole that made him very hard to tackle and had a decent NFL career off of that.

After that.. Bailey/Gulley too small . Jerome big enough but not elusive with enough speed. then Neal was a nice College RB.

Its been a long time for us.

He really needs to get drafted by the right team that fits his skill set. It would be great if the track speed he worked on showed another gear this year.

But hey maybe I’m wrong…
Tucker more than anything has excellent vision. He sees the hole and rarely makes a mistake on cuts. He has the power to get the extra yard and the speed to beat most once in the open. He will go within the first 4 rounds and if not will be a complete steal

Tucker more than anything has excellent vision. He sees the hole and rarely makes a mistake on cuts. He has the power to get the extra yard and the speed to beat most once in the open. He will go within the first 4 rounds and if not will be a complete steal

Yeah his vision is easily next level.

That’s what I see when I see Tucker run.

Perhaps that’s why upperdeck says he’s just a single burst.

Generally he is because he sees the holes beautifully and is incredibly elusive in the backfield.

I see Tucker right now as 2nd round draft pick and with a good enough season, will go mid to late first round

Whatever Tucker and his family thinks is best for him and his pro prospects I support. He's been fun to watch and I never criticize a player for a decision that puts them in position for the pros.

Now let's hope Cuse is bowling and he wants to play one final game in Orange.

Yeah his vision is easily next level.

That’s what I see when I see Tucker run.

Perhaps that’s why upperdeck says he’s just a single burst.

Generally he is because he sees the holes beautifully and is incredibly elusive in the backfield.

I see Tucker right now as 2nd round draft pick and with a good enough season, will go mid to late first round
He has really good speed and good power. His legs are really powerful. He can run through most arm tackles. His vision is exceptional. He does have fantastic ability to be elusive in the back field and rarely ever takes a negative play. It appears like he will be a solid receiver. Great work ethic and leader by example. A lot of his draftability will depend on what he shows blocking wise. I don't see him going first round. That is almost impossible for RB's these days. I think he could be a second or third round pick though.

He has really good speed and good power. His legs are really powerful. He can run through most arm tackles. His vision is exceptional. He does have fantastic ability to be elusive in the back field and rarely ever takes a negative play. It appears like he will be a solid receiver. Great work ethic and leader by example. A lot of his draftability will depend on what he shows blocking wise. I don't see him going first round. That is almost impossible for RB's these days. I think he could be a second or third round pick though.

Blocking could be his negative when it comes to the draft. PFF, who all NFL teams subscribe too, graded him pretty poorly all season for pass blocking. Of the guys who played a fair number of snaps, only Tisdale was worse.

Blocking could be his negative when it comes to the draft. PFF, who all NFL teams subscribe too, graded him pretty poorly all season for pass blocking. Of the guys who played a fair number of snaps, only Tisdale was worse.
That is the area he really needs to show improvement. I think he has mentioned that also in interviews. You have to be able to pass block in the NFL. If he can show improvement it will raise his draft position.
I still think Rhino will be the primary pass blocker with Tucker coming out of the back field for passes.

That didn't work so well last year. He only had 7 rushes for 19 yards. But was 13-18 passing for 209 yards and 4 TDs. All but 35 yards of that in the 1st half, his day ended after one 2nd half drive.

Our offense needs to help dictate this game. Last two years we've done nothing against them offensively. And they were the 83rd ranked D last year.
Agree 100% I would not give up any big passing plays. Let him run and hit him hard even if we give up yards. If we blitz, the guy buys time, gets loose and hits wide open WR's. But yes we need to score alot of points to win.

Agree 100% I would not give up any big passing plays. Let him run and hit him hard even if we give up yards. If we blitz, the guy buys time, gets loose and hits wide open WR's. But yes we need to score alot of points to win.
Louisville lost 7 games last year including to Air Force. It's not like they are unbeatable. How did all these teams beat them?

maybe.. but can you point to a single run where he changed fields, or made a bunch of guys miss? We run a bunch of down hill plays where we burst thru clean and thats great. We dont run much in the sweep game to really show that ability. You can make a lot of runs where you make 1 guy miss and gain yds, but thats not what the NFL generally is about. He has shown an ability to catch and that helps.

Look at our guys who had some NFL ability.. Carter was a load to bring down and had some moves before he got hurt. Brinkley didnt have the elite speed but he had that wiggle in the hole that made him very hard to tackle and had a decent NFL career off of that.

After that.. Bailey/Gulley too small . Jerome big enough but not elusive with enough speed. then Neal was a nice College RB.

Its been a long time for us.

He really needs to get drafted by the right team that fits his skill set. It would be great if the track speed he worked on showed another gear this year.
He was fourth in the nation at yards after contact with > 4 Yards per carry after contact

Also whatever ‘one burst’ means you somehow singled out two of the only 5 backs we ever had to average > 6 yards a carry when over 100 Carrys for the year

Last edited:
He was fourth in the nation at yards after contact with > 4 Yards per carry after contact

Also whatever ‘one burst’ means you somehow singled out two of the only 5 backs we ever had to average > 6 yards a carry when over 100 Carrys for the year
There is a reason we havent had NFL backs in a long time.. you either need to out run them, out manuever them or run over them. There is also a reason so many backs avg decent amts in college yet dont do much in the NFL.. Systems matter more in college, spread offense leads to many huge holes and you just dont see that as much at the next level so it becomes more talent based.

There were 129 guys why Avg 5+ yds a carry last yr. He was top 40 at around 6.. He had a great yr.

I dont see NFL style when I see him run. But Im not a scout so what do I know.

Louisville lost 7 games last year including to Air Force. It's not like they are unbeatable. How did all these teams beat them?
At a glance, it's all about containing Malik Cunningham. If you hold him to 200 yards passing/ under 100 yards rushing; you have a template for success against Louisville. For us; I think that means, blitz if needed to pressure him, then spy him with 1, 2, 3 players, whatever it takes to contain his scramble to a short gain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom