Some thoughts on where we stand Currently and Albany | Syracusefan.com

Some thoughts on where we stand Currently and Albany

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Brutal performance last week but I wasn't overly surprised. ND is a bad matchup for this team when everyone is healthy much less our current state. ND's back was against the wall and I didn't feel great about the game (though I didn't see 14-2 or whatever the hell it was). This team has multiple fatal flaws and when things go South they can snowball in a hurry. Defense looked like last year just absolutely lost, bad slides, no slides, sliding when we didn't' need, sliding away from a guy, miscommunications, zero saves etc. Team has developed a bad habit of just having some games where the entire team just looks inept for a quarter plus. Disappointing to look that bad coming off its best two games of the season.

In regards to the Albany game, sort of an odd matchup. Both teams are probably fielding their worst squads the last 15+ years and both are probably thinking any other year this is a likely an easy win (maybe not Albany but you get the picture). Weather for Thursday looks awful and Albany has gone all out to promote this game and hype it up to a pretty decent level (check out their website its like their playing Alabama in football on Thursday).

Albany has some nice offensive pieces and good skill at attack. Yunker has missed a few game and as their best player it's hurt them immensely. Our old friend Hay has struggled but has shown signs of life the last three games with 5, 4, and 6 point respectively. Now these weren't against great defensive teams by any stretch but still a very positive development for the Danes. Albany is starting Yunker, Hay and a frosh Whitcomb at attack. They are rotating other attackmen and running some through the box as well. Their midfield which usually is a spot they struggle with to begin with is a dumpster fire. The highest point total of their best true middie is 7 from Mccomber. On paper SU defensively should have a distinct advantage at D-mid especially if Rosa is back as some of the backup guys were absolutely roasted last week. Don't be surprised if Marr throws some odd combinations at attack to confuse SU as he has literally 6-8 guys that see regular time. Hogg is technically the pt leader but only because Yunker missed 3 games. Kennedy will likely draw him. Yunker is not a big guy (listed 5'9) so it's possible Petro could go with Caccamo on Yunker and then put Kennedy on the bigger Hay. SU completely shut down Hay last year but I can't recall who drew the matchup. I assume Murphy would draw the 3rd attackmen Whitcomb who is a native player and has shown some ability to score as a true frosh. Assuming Hogg doesn't see time at middie I assume it will depend on who else is on the field when assigning his defender. If he's seeing time at middie SU will almost assuredly pole him.

I'd like to think SU has an advantage here as Albany has been so poor offensively this year but the Defense was destroyed last Sat and another road game in what looks to be a monsoon isn't exactly a recipe for success. Sounds like Rosa could be back and Gavin had looked pretty good the last few games save for Saturday. I do think SU matches up pretty well but this could also be a situation like the Hopkins game if the offensive is continually inept.

From an offensive standpoint for SU there really isn't much to say. Quinn being out exasperates an already bad situation with Hiltz lost for the season. Cook's intangibles are missed but offensively he was a blackhole so were not missing much scoring punch. Corsi and Cordes were introduced to the ND D last week and it showed. I like both but it would make sense for March to rotate a guy like Buttermore (who is showing signs of coming out of the injury) some runs with the 1's to try and get another veteran presence out there with Curry. Seems unlikely Quinn will be back this week and Cook's lost for the year clearly so again it pretty much is what it is. Magnan showed a little something last week, perhaps he and Buttermore can continue to show signs of life. Fiorini still seems overwhelmed when out there which is disappointing. Birtwistle still hasn't played since UVA so I assume he is still hurt along with Tenaglia. Would be nice if the media would actually ask about both instead of the same re-hashed questions each week but there's little chance of that happening. If either is healthy an not seeing time, I have major concerns about this staff.

From an attack standpoint were just not getting enough out of Berkman and Seebold, full stop. Berkman's done a decent job but he gets exposed in extended minutes. SU should really be rotating in Tenaglia (when healthy) or Ferris, though he did see sometime late vs ND. Seebolds been OK but he's had a lot of trouble dodging and is mostly bull dodging at this point with limited success. He would be a great 4th guy to rotate in but like Berkman when asked to played a full 60, he gets exposed. There's no realy backup pla with Hiltz hurt and presumably Tenaglia as well. Aburn in theory could get some run but he's more of a replacement for Berkman. Ferris hasn't exactly shined in limited minutes, but I would still give him a few runs to see if lighting strikes. Honestly there just aren't any other real options at this point with next years class still in HS and 3 attackmen hurt.

Phaup going 20-31 Sat is incredible when you consider how much he struggled the first quarter +. Kudos to him, ND might have scored 30+ if he didn't show up. He will be missed the most of any player next year. The fact we never see Savage is a huge red flag, expect SU to bring 2+ FOGO's next year from the portal or a very late recruit plus a transfer. He should have an advantage on Sat as Endres and Karnes are both under .500 on the year for Albany. Endres is the #1 but he's been up and down despite a good HS pedigree. Karnes was 18-25 against Brook but both he and Endres were a mess the last game against a bad Umass Lowell team - 6/15 and 3/12 respectively. Phaup should be above 60% here but if its a downpour the wings will need to step up, Rosa being back would be huge.

Both teams are a mess at goalie, your guess is as good as mine as to what to expect on Thursday. Gavin had been palying well I thought for the last month or so but was blitzed on Sat and pulled (rightfully so). Thompson came in but fared just as bad if not worse. I would go with Gavin if I was SU as he has been the better of the two goalies over the course of the year but who knows what the staff will do.

Overall this is probably the last game that SU has a clear shot to win so hopefully they take advantage of it. Staff seems like their out of ideas especially offensively which I think speaks to the limitations of the current players but I do understand some of the frustrations with March. He's been dealt a bad hand this year but the offenses SU has run the last few year have left most of us underwhelmed. Not sure what can be done this year but maybe we see a new wrinkle or two on Thursday. Overall the year has been struggle but not surprising as we all knew what the score was once we lost Hiltz. Defense has shown some signs of life but last Sat felt like last year all over again. This staff has to find a way to get this team to not fall apart against certain teams. 22-6 to that ND team is unacceptable regardless of whose hurt. Thought gait's postgame comments were better when I listened a second time. He's very Desko like in that he doesn't get to high or low but sometimes what he says can rub off the wrong way. This years a flyer with all teh injuries and his gross over scheduling but I would like to see him and the staff have a much better looking team out there on Thursd

There have been a good number of local TV ads in Albany hyping this game. Can’t say I ever recalled UAlbany advertising any other lacrosse game with TV spots before - or I just wasn’t paying attention.

There have been a good number of local TV ads in Albany hyping this game. Can’t say I ever recalled UAlbany advertising any other lacrosse game with TV spots before - or I just wasn’t paying attention.

No they are really hyping the game which is certainly a good thing but in hindsight this game should have been scheduled as close to the end of the year as humanely possible as today's weather forecast shows why its usually in the Dome. I don't mind throwing Albany a bone every now and then for a home game but I don't' see this becoming a rotation like Hobart or Cornell.

Knew either for days .Should have considered moving game to another date or Dome if they had to play

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom