some thoughts | Syracusefan.com

some thoughts

stuckinbig11

All American
-glad to see Trevor and Rak working as a tandem, especially Rak looking for TC in the corner
-the somewhat unenthused Rak of a couple years ago is long gone
-telegraphed, lazy passes are killing us; why not just yell out the name of the person you intend to receive the ball and make it even easier for the defense to make the steal ?
-GMac was a shooting guard that played point guard. I was sure more comfortable with the deliberate style of Cooney bringing the ball up when they pressed--maybe a bit like Brandon Triche
-JB seems to be making some course-corrections out of necessity--thank goodness.

-the somewhat unenthused Rak of a couple years ago is long gone
-telegraphed, lazy passes are killing us; why not just yell out the name of the person you intend to receive the ball and make it even easier for the defense to make the steal ?

you are so right on Rak. He could have gone down as a great player (i say that as nothing but a compliment)... but hell I'll take him as a leader this year. He is finally playing like a man.

and yes. those passes are ridiculous. Kjoe needs to find the game speed ASAP.

Down the stretch, Boeheim took the ball out of Joseph's hands. Offense ran totally through Cooney except for Joseph's shot at the end. Will be interesting to see if this trend continues in tight games or was it because Gbinije was out.

It felt like everyone was making wild passes that went violently astray. Was Joseph the worst offender? It seemed like it. I will need to watch the replay of the game, which I believe I will do soon.

Thank god it didn't go into overtime! I think we could have lost.

It felt like everyone was making wild passes that went violently astray. Was Joseph the worst offender? It seemed like it. I will need to watch the replay of the game, which I believe I will do soon.

I think is an accurate assessment and although KJ was the worst offender, other players also made passes that can't be made at this level unless the D is playing way off them. There were also a few passes that could have been caught it the player went to the ball instead of standing still while the defender cruised in for the intercept. One would think, playing against a team that plays pressure D, that the players would have expected these types of defensive intensity and took better care of the ball.

As CusefanATL, the players need to play up to the game speed and realize passes that may have worked in HS or against a non-pressure D will not work.

One thing I will say about KJ, however, is that even though he got benched against SJU and PG duties passed onto TC at the end of tonight's game, it never seemed that KJ lost confidence and he still played strong through the entire game. He had a good offensive game and the fact that he did not allow JB's decision to throw his confidence off is a VERY good sign that KJ is going to grow into a much better player with time.

Down the stretch, Boeheim took the ball out of Joseph's hands. Offense ran totally through Cooney except for Joseph's shot at the end. Will be interesting to see if this trend continues in tight games or was it because Gbinije was out.
Mercifully JB took the ball out of KJ's hands with Cooney bringing the ball up. How many times did they pick KJ, I lost count. And I think his confidence was shot too. His handle will improve some over time...but it takes a lot of work and likely won't be this season. He does not have the instincts of a PG (which he wasn't most of his HS career). Doesn't penetrate much and create,which is why the offense is so stagnant. He and the coaches have a lot of work to do.

KJ2 seemed gassed to me and as a result was making too many mistakes. JB had TC bring the ball up to give KJ2 a rest. They definitely need G to help play PG.

Tech played a very good game. It reminds me of Albany last year. I think the team is fine. They are definitely playing better than when they lost to Cal. Yes they have a lot of work to do. And of course they are not playing at the caliber of Duke. But I think they are making good progress. The team chemistry is not going to be perfect after 9 games. Our two freshmen are not going to be playing like seniors after 9 games. I think this team is doing fine and they have a good chance to make it into the NCAA tournament.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom