somebody coached today | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

somebody coached today

Apparently, this is a controversial theory. Hey, maybe we can do it for football too. Babers could create a patented nickel defense that we stay in regardless of score or field position or what personnel the offense has on the field. We could really focus on it in practice!

You guys who think a team doesn't make defensive adjustments if they're in the same base defense don't know as much as you think you do.

EXACTLY...

Exactly not.

Ole Miss won because we couldn't stop them, and we shot the 3- ball(our biggest strength) horribly for 30 minutes.

Their defense had nothing to do with it.

Ole Miss made 15 threes today. 15. Coaching has nothing to do with it.

You guys who think a team doesn't make defensive adjustments if they're in the same base defense don't know as much as you think you do.

They made an adjustment today. They told our guards to come up on their guards. But their guards just went around a pick and shot a 3. We never figured it out.

They made an adjustment today. They told our guards to come up on their guards. But their guards just went around a pick and shot a 3. We never figured it out.

Good defensive players on the SU team this year......

I'll wait.

Roberson is ok. Lydon in certain situations is ok...his timing on blocking shots is good and he's a good defensive rebounder.

Exactly not.

Ole Miss won because we couldn't stop them, and we shot the 3- ball(our biggest strength) horribly for 30 minutes.

Their defense had nothing to do with it.
Couldn't stop them with our??? That's right say it DEFENSE..lol This is was not a high octane team.
The momentum for the game carried over to the 2nd half. when ...we didn't miss a shot. It happened when we turned it over and Ole miss began running down hill...while we had to run up hill the rest of the game.

Change not for the sake of change...change because it's useful and needed.

Couldn't stop them with our??? That's right say it DEFENSE..lol This is was not a high octane team.
The momentum for the game carried over to the 2nd half. when ...we didn't miss a shot. It happened when we turned it over and Ole miss began running down hill...while we had to run up hill the rest of the game.

Change not for the sake of change...change because it's useful and needed.

We were a horrid defensive team all year...because we have bad defensive players.

Ole Miss's defense was garbage too.

Credit them for picking on our defense and burying 3's all day. Crediting them for "switching defenses" as if that had anything to do with anything is just not being honest about what happened and is forcing a narrative so you can complain about our coach.

I guess if the zone is ineffective all we can do is throw our hands in the air becuase its God's plan that we lose and we can't do anything about it because zone is it.

I guess if the zone is ineffective all we can do is throw our hands in the air becuase its God's plan that we lose and we can't do anything about it because zone is it.

Bad defensive teams are going to struggle to win games. Blaming our defensive for today's loss is obvious. But forcing a narrative that the other guy won the game for his team because he was switching defenses and it caused a turnover with 19 minutes left in the game is just a bit of a reach.

There have been years in the past where I had an issue with 100% zone based on personnel. This year, I don't think it mattered. We had some bad defensive players and really zero standout good ones at all. I don't think scheme was why we weren't good on D this year.

Bad defensive teams are going to struggle to win games. Blaming our defensive for today's loss is obvious. But forcing a narrative that the other guy won the game for his team because he was switching defenses and it caused a turnover with 19 minutes left in the game is just a bit of a reach.

There have been years in the past where I had an issue with 100% zone based on personnel. This year, I don't think it mattered. We had some bad defensive players and really zero standout good ones at all. I don't think scheme was why we weren't good on D this year.

Well I'm not touching the narrative that switching defenses won the game for Ole Miss. They won because they hit threes in seemingly every possession. Sweet game plan coach.

Good defensive players on the SU team this year...

I'll wait.

Roberson is ok. Lydon in certain situations is ok...his timing on blocking shots is good and he's a good defensive rebounder.
Not disagreeing. But outside of Gillon and White, the others were recruited for the zone, right?

Sometimes long and athletic doesn't always work in the zone.

19 minutes left in the game >>>>HURT. Obviously, you've never been caught up in a momentum swing. 1st half ended 100% in their favour. They had to go into half time 'pumped'.. I'm sure the coaches (ole Misss0 played that up. What do they do to start the half??? Throw the immediate "ambush"...Turnover. That pushed the "mo" squarely with ole Mss. They were downhill running from there. Remember when JB would throw the "ambush" on a team when coming out of a timeout??? turnover...and momentum swing. Big time tool in the tool chest...It worked like a charm for ole Miss.

19 minutes left in the game >>>>HURT. Obviously, you've never been caught up in a momentum swing. 1st half ended 100% in their favour. They had to go into half time 'pumped'.. I'm sure the coaches (ole Misss0 played that up. What do they do to start the half??? Throw the immediate "ambush"...Turnover. That pushed the "mo" squarely with ole Mss. They were downhill running from there. Remember when JB would throw the "ambush" on a team when coming out of a timeout??? turnover...and momentum swing. Big time tool in the tool chest...It worked like a charm for ole Miss.

Yeah, and we "never recovered". LOL. We only scored like 42 points and hit 7 threes after that.

I'm sure Ole Miss shooting well was all "momentum".

You're doing way too much here.

Yeah, and we "never recovered". LOL. We only scored like 42 points and hit 7 threes after that.

I'm sure Ole Miss shooting well was all "momentum".

You're doing way too much here.
We scored 42.. How many 5 point leads did we take??? That's what's called playing uphill. They were ahead ...and we played catch up. Blew a nice 1st half lead...AND let them get the "mo" and lead for the rest ...

We scored 42.. How many 5 point leads did we take??? That's what's called playing uphill. They were ahead ...and we played catch up. Blew a nice 1st half lead...AND let them get the "mo" and lead for the rest ...

I'd say that was a function of us playing poor defense and them shooting the ball really well. Not momentum from one turnover.

Who could blame him? Uh, I'll take a crack.

He recruited these guys and didn't recruit some other guys who are flourishing at other teams and wanted to come here.

He's got two eventual first round picks and an All-ACC player who is the best shooter in the conference. Guarantee you Ole Miss, or 80% of the teams we lost to don't have that talent.

His recruiting and coaching style is stale. Along with the uncertainty this situation is creating, it's time to move on.

Buried on the first page of this thread is the only post worth reading...and of course, no one else cares to engage with it.

Buried on the first page of this thread is the only post worth reading...and of course, no one else cares to engage with it.

Right. Only the posts that trash the hall of fame coach are worth reading. Some of you schtick guys are too much...

Right. Only the posts that trash the hall of fame coach are worth reading. Some of you schtick guys are too much...

Apparently that HOF label gives you a lot of leash at the end of your career. Sorry that some of us don't believe that he's above critique. You're stuck in the little details. Some of us care to see the big picture.

Right. We'd be LOCKING teams up if we went man!
If we had a coach who could teach complicated m-2-m. And first recruited quick guys designed to play m-2-m.

If we had a coach who could teach complicated m-2-m. And first recruited quick guys designed to play m-2-m.

Like Coach K? Recruits some of the best players in the country, long known for being able to coach a great man to man, and his team has struggled on defense for much of this season.

Apparently that HOF label gives you a lot of leash at the end of your career. Sorry that some of us don't believe that he's above critique. You're stuck in the little details. Some of us care to see the big picture.

It's actually the opposite. You're stuck in the little details and don't see the big picture.

I didn't say he's above critique, either.

It's actually the opposite. You're stuck in the little details and don't see the big picture.

I didn't say he's above critique, either.

So the big picture isn't that we've lost 42 games over the last three years? It's not that we're swinging after missing year and year on the recruiting trail? Is there something that I'm missing here? Because that's what the big picture looks like from my vantage point.

Like Coach K? Recruits some of the best players in the country, long known for being able to coach a great man to man, and his team has struggled on defense for much of this season.
If that's struggling, sign me up.

So the big picture isn't that we've lost 42 games over the last three years? It's not that we're swinging after missing year and year on the recruiting trail? Is there something that I'm missing here? Because that's what the big picture looks like from my vantage point.

You're missing that Syracuse has been a great program for 40 years, every program has ups and downs, our "downs" are bubble years, he's leaving anyway, and you(like the rest of us) have absolutely no idea what's going to happen once he's gone.

Some of you guys should've been spouting this stuff 3-4 years ago if you had as much foresight as you seem to think you do, because that's when this "downturn" started.

We've always come out of our "down years" just fine in the past. The difference this time is that the consistent winner of a coach is actually leaving. We'll see what happens.

Not sure why "stepping down today" is the answer.

If that's struggling, sign me up.

So you don't actually know the specifics? That's usually how it goes here with the reactionary posts after we lose.

They have struggled on defense this year. They're a super talented team that's very good offensively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom