SOMEBODY PLEASE ASK BABERS THE QUESTION | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SOMEBODY PLEASE ASK BABERS THE QUESTION

You’re right, not a good take. To tell a fan base that lives and dies with you ( I don’t know if that’s you but it’s me) why you decided not to exercise every option to win a game should have you questioned as the future leader of the program. Anyway, he did answer the question today and, while I disagree with his approach, I’m glad he addressed it.
I get it man. Trust me. I wanted to know myself. I just don't think he owes it to us. I also think it's an integrity thing and if you believe he has integrity, then you kind of know he didn't quit. You may not know why he did what he did but you already know that it wasn't because he quit because you know that is not the kind of man he is.

Don't love this. You have ways of stopping the clock when you're on offense. But I guess knowing you're getting sacked one out of every 4 downs probably changes the conventional thinking.
This is so obvious that I don't believe his story. They should've asked him immediately after the game

Edit, I didn't hear him give the same story to park.

Timeouts on defense save the most time, which is what should've been the objective, obviously

AXE FTW...

On why he didn't use any timeouts vs Pitt on last drive: "I was going to use them if we got a third down stop." They were down 11 with 4 mins left, Panthers ran out the clock. Needed a stop, score, onside kick and another score. Babers wanted the TOs for the offense.

Asked about the end of the game against Pitt, Coach Babers runs through what SU needed to do to win the game. Wanted to hold one timeout for after a third down stop. Wanted to save two TOs for the offense. Also as he mentioned Saturday, didn't like Andre Szmyt kicking into the wind at Heinz Field, which why the team went for it on 4th and 6.

That is just dumb. You can control the clock on O. You cannot on D. So why let Pitt run down all that time after 1st and 2nd down?

I get it man. Trust me. I wanted to know myself. I just don't think he owes it to us. I also think it's an integrity thing and if you believe he has integrity, then you kind of know he didn't quit. You may not know why he did what he did but you already know that it wasn't because he quit because you know that is not the kind of man he is.
I don't know him personally so I don't know what kind of man he is. Could be a total jerk when camera's are off.

i don't know him at all but this response seems disingenuous at best.

I don't know him personally so I don't know what kind of man he is. Could be a total jerk when camera's are off.

It was three years ago, but I have heard there were issues with the way support staff was treated.

This whole thing is not bothering me as much as others, and I'm not sure why. I've watched every Syracuse football game for probably the last 15+ years. In the moment, I was OK with trusting the D to force the 3 and out and saving the TOs. There was what, 3:30 to play or something? At that point, with that time, I don't think you have to burn the TOs. After they converted, it was odd to me that the TOs weren't used, even in desperation. But I have to believe there was more to Dino's thinking than, 'Well, pack it up boys, we suck, we're done.'

I just want to ask, what in the world makes any of us think that Dino calling those timeouts would have made any difference in the game? What did you see during that game, up until that moment, that led you to believe that we would have moved the ball, not once, but twice, during the last 4 minutes and grab 2 scores? What game was being watched? We struggled to move the ball 7 yards on any given drive all game long. And it only got worse at the end

This was not giving up ...regardless of what the announcer led anyone to believe. This was Dino using his God-given eyes and common sense. There was no ill in his decision whatsoever. He was watching the same game we all were

I just want to ask, what in the world makes any of us think that Dino calling those timeouts would have made any difference in the game? What did you see during that game, up until that moment, that led you to believe that we would have moved the ball, not once, but twice, during the last 4 minutes and grab 2 scores? What game was being watched? We struggled to move the ball 7 yards on any given drive all game long. And it only got worse at the end

This was not giving up ...regardless of what the announcer led anyone to believe. This was Dino using his God-given eyes and common sense. There was no ill in his decision whatsoever. He was watching the same game we all were
I saw Rex throw a nice ball for a touchdown in under 15 seconds. It only takes 1 play to break the right way. You just don't give up because it hasn't been working up until that point.

Did you watch Cowboys-Falcons yesterday?

Improbable does not equal impossible

AXE FTW...

On why he didn't use any timeouts vs Pitt on last drive: "I was going to use them if we got a third down stop." They were down 11 with 4 mins left, Panthers ran out the clock. Needed a stop, score, onside kick and another score. Babers wanted the TOs for the offense.

Asked about the end of the game against Pitt, Coach Babers runs through what SU needed to do to win the game. Wanted to hold one timeout for after a third down stop. Wanted to save two TOs for the offense. Also as he mentioned Saturday, didn't like Andre Szmyt kicking into the wind at Heinz Field, which why the team went for it on 4th and 6.
This sounds like "spin" to me after a couple to craft a response.

Can you think it’s no big deal that he didn’t call the timeouts AND that his recent response is BS? Cuz I think that’s where I am. Lol

the point is it was a 2 score game. have you ever seen a HC not do everything they could to extend the game? I’m sure it wouldn’t have made a difference, but the signal it sends after what we witnessed the first 2 games is certainly not what I wanted to see

If we were playing clemson and getting beat up badly. Sure whatever let the game run out. But down 11, to a rival, with 4 minutes left and you run the clock out just is pathetic
That Rival part will never be forgotten in my mind. It is a different game because of that.

I'm blown away at the number of football fans who want an explanation on decisions a head coach makes.

Every team's Head Coach will Always make decisions based on their coaching philosophy. COACH BABERS MADE AN EXCELLENT DECISION; and anyone who thinks or disagrees to the contrary doesn't know JACK ABOUT FOOTBALL on the level they think they do!!

A fan (or person willed with excessive and single-minded zeal) ONLY sees a game. A head coach and the knowledgeable comprehend the tendencies, numbers, down and distance variables, player skill set quantification etc. that go into what the IGNORANT FAN sees as a simple game time decision.

SHUT THE HELL UP & LET THIS MAN CONTINUE TO BUILD SYRACUSE TO BE CONSISTANTLY 10-3 THE RIGHT WAY!!

I’ve seen some comments about Coach as a person off the field... I do have some secondhand knowledge of this, and he’s been nothing but a phenomenal person to these people who see him in his regular life on a consistent basis.

Last edited:
I'm blown away at the number of football fans who want an explanation on decisions a head coach makes.

Every team's Head Coach will Always make decisions based on their coaching philosophy. COACH BABERS MADE AN EXCELLENT DECISION; and anyone who thinks or disagrees to the contrary doesn't know JACK ABOUT FOOTBALL on the level they think they do!!

A fan (or person willed with excessive and single-minded zeal) ONLY sees a game. A head coach and the knowledgeable comprehend the tendencies, numbers, down and distance variables, player skill set quantification etc. that go into what the IGNORANT FAN sees as a simple game time decision.

SHUT THE HELL UP & LET THIS MAN CONTINUE TO BUILD SYRACUSE TO BE CONSISTANTLY 10-3 THE RIGHT WAY!!
Thank you, a much needed post

He is accountable for the program there are season ticket holders and boosters who have a right to know it goes along with being a college football coach.

Time management has to do with math and nothing to do with football. On D you cannot stop the clock or snap the ball early in the play clock. On O you can do both. From one play to the next, more time will go off the clock when you are on D then when you are on O. Therefore it is mathematically advantageous for you to use the TOs on D as it will allow you MORE time to score. You need 2 scores to tie the game. The more time you have the better (more math). Most football coaches suck ass at time management. What is the logic in having less time to work with?

Again. The game was out of hand. The offense was non functional. It wasn't going to suddenly function in the last 4 minutes to get a touchdown, 2 pt conversion, onside kick, and field goal. It. Was. Not. Happening.

I wanted the game to be over myself. I can't believe this is something we are complaining about. There are WAY more serious things going on with the offense than how many timeouts were used at the end of a game

He is accountable for the program there are season ticket holders and boosters who have a right to know it goes along with being a college football coach.
I'm a season tickets holder...and donate. He isn't responsible for talking to me about every decision he makes nor do I have that right. Only season tickets holders and boosters with an over developed sense of self importance believe that they are owed and have a "right" to know everything from a coach. Let it go man. He already provided a comment anyway. If you don't like his comments that is your issue my man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom